Tags:
  1. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Modern Poetry: its writing and appreciation

Discussion in 'The Philosophy of Writing Poetry' started by Torana, Jul 2, 2007.

I was recently speaking with a lady in the publishing industry after submitting some of my poetry and getting a knock back.

She had contacted me personally as she was quite impressed by the pieces that I had submitted and believe me I was very greatful for her kind words and I have been asked to resubmitt my poetry later on. As per usual.

Well she was kind enough to put me onto a few sites that offer some excellent information on poetry and poetry publicating.

So I thought that I would share one of the links with everyone here as I feel that it has some wonderful information that I am sure many of you may benefit from in the future.

modern poetry: its writing and appreciation

I have found this site to be extremely helpful and recommend anyone here that is serious about their poetry take the time to have a look at some of the information that it provides.

~Torana

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Nice. Thanks Torana.

It also has some good suggestions on critiquing poetry.

3. Frost

Frost Active Member

Great site that. Thanks for the link.

4. Torana

You are both very welcome. Glad that you have found it useful.

~TOrana

5. SnipSnap

SnipSnap Active Member

I'll have a look-see.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'publicating'?... cute bit o' coinage there, torana, but i wouldn't use it when dealing with agents and 'publicators'!... ;-)

in re that nicely recommended site, american writers should be advised/aware that poetry and poets are seen quite differently in the uk and commonwealth countries, compared to how they're perceived and dealt with in the states...

so, while this uk-based/aimed site is good for a lot of things, i doubt it can be all that useful or accurate in presenting the options for american poets in the american publishing markets...

7. Torana

Yes well I noticed that also maia, but I have found that the rest of the information on the site is most helpful.
    It does not just offer advice on publication though, it offers information on a wide variety of things and is the main reason why it was posted here.

~Torana

8. Eóin

Eóin New Member

Thanks, that is very interesting.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there's no question it's a useful/helpful post, torana...

i'm just hoping another similar site can be found/posted that will reflect the state of the art of poetry and its publication in the us, in addition to this one...

10. Torana

Eoin thankyou, glad you found it interesting.

Maia thankyou kindly and I will do everything possible to find a site that provides this kind of information for everyone from any country.
    All you have to do is ask me and I am more than happy to help out where I can and find any information that I can.

I will spend some time today searching for a site that relates to the US for those who are from the US. Thankyou kindly for pointing that out to me maia.

I hope that I can find what it is you are after though.

~Torana

P.S. If anyone would like me to find information on publishing for them for any country please let me know and I will see what I can do for you.