1. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Monster Movie

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lordofhats, Mar 31, 2008.

You ever notice that in most monster movies the brave hero(es) are surrounded by complete and total idiots? It baffles me...

2. lessa

lessa New Member

you mean the ones where the girl screams someone is in the basement so I will run up to the attic so I can't possibly get out of the house?
    Or the ones where the hero is being dragged off by the monster and the person left has a gun and won't shoot in case they hit the hero. (I guess they would rather the hero dies a painful death.)

Why do they make the women in those movies such ditzes.
    They make the blonde jokes look intelligent.

3. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

that's kinda how i feel everyday. i am being dragged away by some monster and the guy wont shoot because he doesnt want to hit me. it's some irritating. even the bad guy in those action movies he seems to surrounded by total nitwits:)

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

That's true too (With older movies). The newer ones still have the idiotic woman but theres usually a smart strong one in the mix too these days.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's a cliche with a nugget of truth. You may think certain people would react in a smart way, but put them under pressure, you never know for sure who will fall apart and who will be the rock.

6. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Good point Cog. I don't think I've ever met anyone though who when facing the fact like, a dozen people have disappeared in the last twenty-four hours from a small town with a population of 300 and virtually no crime will say its all a coincidence.

I guess I should have been more specific. I mean the early part of the movie, when the hero is sure that something is wrong but no body believe him.

7. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Alot of monster movies may be cliched, but I still love 'em! :D
    Plus you can never miss watching a good giant monster like Godzilla lay waste to Tokyo. Good times... good times...

8. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

I can't STAND onster and horror movies, and whenver someone insiss on watching one, I make sure I'm snuggled betwwen people, so that I don't scared....it's so wierd that it's almost funny!!!

9. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I oftan hate the really bad sterotypes such as overweight people being stupid, or having a great apitite/love of food. Always going off alone to have a sneaky Sandwich and getting killed halfway though. And how Hollywood oftan portrays woman and children as being useless, and the man sorting things out, kudous to Dawn of the Dead and Alien for having strong female leads, and Alien 2 for having a mentaly strong child character.

What I oftan find interesting is when there isn't a character whose personality isn't too extreme, or offensive and put them into extreme situations. Take the 1990s film Jacob's Ladder, the lead, Jacob Singer was a logical, intelligent youngman. However, when his world started to crumble, he is seen looking to the Bible and to religon to comfert him, however, we know wouldn't do so otherwise.

10. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

The weirdest stereotype I know of in mosnter movies is pretty racist. Ever ntoice that if there's a black guy, chances are he's going to die? This isn't even just in horror movies either. Its actually getting a little annoying now cause when I go to a movie and see a black character, my first thought is that he's probably going to die. A certain irony also says that 3/4 time, if the black guy dies, he goes down fight'n.

11. ValianceInEnd

*cough* It's not Alien 2, it's Aliens *cough*

But yes, alot of monster movies have those stereo types. Not just the cool black guy who dies fighting but you always have to have the bitchy blonde slut who goes off by herself and dies. Then you've got to have the tough Mexican girl who kicks alot of ass until she sacrifices herself to kill a bunch of the zombies or whatever. Funny how predictable they can get.

12. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Weird, eh? Especially for a division that does not even account for 15% of the American population. It almost seems as though the death of a black person somehow validates a monster's abilities.

I've actually begun saying that, if you're ever in a scary situation that has the potential to be a movie, save the closest black person. As the monster is not able to become of any official status, you also secure the rest of your party.

13. Cogito

We are writers. If you see a worn stereotype, shatter it!

14. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I guess with Army of Darkness, the main character is the total idiot (but when it comes down to it, he knows how to fight monsters ;) ). Guess that's why of many flicks, I like that movie, although Aliens and the Predator I and II I enjoyed.

Terry

15. ValianceInEnd

Greatest cinematic epic ever to be captured on film and grace the lives of all who watch it. The Evil Dead series is the best horror/comedey of all time!

16. Slippery

Slippery New Member

After recently watching Resident Evil: Extinction and Gothika, I had an observation about horror movies. The characters being idiots is to create suspense. The writers have to make their victims idiots, because otherwise escaping would be easy. She should just run out of the house, but instead she runs upstairs and gets trapped. Or in Resident Evil: Extinction's case, does Alice really need to explore every dark room in Nevada?
    Another silly thing they do in horror movies to create suspense is in the moment just before the big surprise, where the monster leaps out and every member of the soundtrack orchestra plays a single note as loud as humanly possible. It's when the camera zooms in very close on the victim's face. The trick is that the audience can't see what's going on. Sure it's dark, but we have an even worse view than the victim does, because we can't see anything but her face. And then, Shwah! Out jumps the monster.

17. MarcG

MarcG New Member

Oh, but if the 'heroes' are smart, the villains need to be smart too! And then that creates even MORE work, since the villain wouldn't leave their biggest weaknesses exposed. NO ONE should have to create a logical scenario!

18. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Lol. I agree with you there actually. I often sit there watching horror movies thinking to myself "Well, why did you just do that you stupid idiot?", whilst playing out the things that they could have done to escape a situation. Then eventually realise that if they hadn't it wouldn't be half as interesting to watch :D

19. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Most monster movies aren't that good, in my opinion. I haven't found a really good one in a few years, though if Vampires are considered monsters, then I would say 30 Days of Nights rocked.

20. Bella

Bella New Member

My biggest complaint is why do they stay in that situation, especially a haunted house? I want to scream, "just get the hell out of there, you idiot!"

But then....I started watching Ghost Hunters on the sci-fi channel, and you know what? People in real life stay in haunted houses. It baffles me. If I saw a figure standing over me or inanimate objects suddenly started moving around the room, there would be a dust cloud whirling behind me as I flew out the door.

21. Cogito

Door? How about the Cogito-shaped hole in the nearest wall? ;)