1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.

More a subplot question.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Cave Troll, Feb 24, 2022.

So, on the most recent story I've been working on, I got a bit of feedback about addressing aspects of minor (or basically disposable) characters, who happen to be in the same prison as the MC. I'm not sure if it is relevant to add more about them, or just let it go since they won't come up again in the story, once the MC gets busted/saved from his predicament. It's a Sci-fi story, and I just need the extra bodies around for the sake of the setting at the beginning, so their importance shouldn't have an impact on the larger plot of the story.

I guess my question is, should I add more to these characters that will never show up again?

Thanks you much. :)

2. Lili.A.Pemberton

Lili.A.Pemberton Active Member

I feel like for minor characters who'll never show up again, the best thing to do is give them a few defining quirks so they don't all look like blatant red shirts or filler characters, maybe hint at a life they had outside of prison or prison or something, but if they're not gonna show up again, I definitely wouldn't start filling out character sheets or anything.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

For me, these sort of minor characters are almost scenery. They can add to the overall ambience, the flavour, the voice, but enough is enough. Mannerisms, dress sense, physical peculiarities can all supplement your scene-setting, but we don't need to know where they went to school, what sports they do (unless they are a martial arts expert and it's relevant to what happens to them), or what their sexual preferences are.

Some readers will like more, others less. I would say match it to the tone of the piece - if it's an action piece we don't need to know much, if it's more of a mood piece, sure, knock yourself out, big them up before you quietly dispose of them.

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Okie dokie. I think I will add a little more to them for the sake of not having them fall into the scenery. :)

Some Guy likes this.