1. john11

john11 Member

More interesting sentences/paragraphs

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by john11, Mar 10, 2019.

Hi And thanks for reading this post.
    Are there any tips you know for writing spellbinding sentences/paragraphs that help to pull a reader into a story and create a more intresting scene.
    When i write my stuff and i compare it against something similar written by pros, the pro version sounds so much better and compelling. My work sounds dull and flat in comparison. I only thing i know is to put the more active words at the beginning or end of a sentence as these two points are supposed to be where the reader's attention is naturally drawn to. Do you know of anything, or any tricks that pros use.
    Many thanks

jannert likes this.
  2. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

• Active, not passive, sentences.
    • Careful choice of verbs.
    • Economical use of words: every word should pull its weight.
    • Careful choice of sentence structure. There's lots of them, more than I realized before I read The Art of Styling Sentences. I recommend that book: it's cheap and concise, and teaches something no other writing book I've read teaches.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

In general, I agree with what @XRD_author says, if your problem is sentence construction. However, WHAT you are saying is just as important as how you say it, in my opinion. Perhaps what makes your writing feel flat isn't sentence construction, but simply that you're not being specific enough or haven't really envisioned the scene strongly enough yourself? Your presentation might be vague—'red,' instead of something more specific like 'cherry red.'

If all you're doing is moving the plot along, 'red' might be enough—if it's only important, for plot purposes, that the thing isn't blue. But if you want the reader to really see and experience what you're describing, you need to make the details as specific as possible.

That goes for descriptions of objects and people, but also for depictions of what is happening. This is where XRD's suggestion to use stronger (more specific) verbs can come in. Ditto for nouns, adjectives, adverbs, etc. But most importantly, YOU, the author, have to see these scenes clearly in your own head, and watch them play out in real time. Then you'll be able to transmit what you see to your readers.

Don't be afraid to take the story time to do this. We're constantly told that brevity equals good writing, but that useful notion can be taken to extremes. Too much brevity, and the reader doesn't get much to work with. They can get whipped through the story too fast for it to make an impact.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Thundair, minstrel and peachalulu like this.
  4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

More education, an English Lit degree and also family contacts in publishing. Otherwise it is a lifetime of dragon-chasing in the swamps of Plebia. Join us.

5. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

I'm actually worried that I might be doing this in my first book -- even though it's 182K words. o_O

Just a cookiemunster and jannert like this.
  6. jannert

This is where beta readers come in handy, once you've finished. They'll let on if it dragged or went too fast. Especially if you ask them to pay attention to that, when they read.

7. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on beta reading.

Just gotta stop polishing. I keep getting ideas for how to improve it. Little tweaks, like stretching out the two key events that form the climax (so the reader doesn't miss them, they were that brief), and restoring an old prologue as chapter one based on the feedback I got on it here.

Just a cookiemunster likes this.
  8. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I think that this is over-focusing at the sentence level--it's not as if a reader sits down, reads one sentence, and says, "Whew! It's great how that ended with an active word! Now I'm going to get a cup of tea before I read the next sentence."

A large part of pulling the reader into what you're writing is pulling them through many sentences, many paragraphs, many pages. The paragraph is generally the smallest unit that I analyze.

That said, I'll offer some opinions that I think are often--not always--true.
    • Be wary of the irrelevant. There's often a tendency to shoehorn description or facts because you'll need them later. ("Jane pushed her waist-long shining black hair back, as she watched the massacre with widened watery-blue eyes.") But if they offer zero value now, or as in the sample sentence are even offensively irrelevant now, the reader is going to be stalled by them.
    • Be wary of weakeners or intensifiers, and, no, I'm not sure that those are the right terms. I mean things like "slightly tired" and "a little grumpy" and "terribly angry". I let myself write these, and then I almost always cut them in the first or second editing pass.
    • Accept that you will have editing passes. It's highly unlikely that your writing is going to be as engaging as you want on the first draft.
    • One reason to avoid focusing purely on the sentence is that two great sentences in the same paragraph can make for a lousy paragraph, because the sentences are incompatible. Often, complexity needs to be followed by simplicity, one sentence structure followed by a quite different structure--though sometimes you repeat the same structure for a deliberate rhythm. This is why I'm saying that the paragraph is often the smallest unit worth analyzing. Though I sort of disagree with myself now--I analyze at the paragraph level and the phrase level. I just tend not to analyze at the sentence level.

9. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Maybe not, but sentence structure makes a difference.

Compare:
    1. Bob wore boots, jeans, a shirt, and a hat to the rodeo.
    2. Boots, jeans, a shirt, and a hat: that's what Bob wore to the rodeo.
    3. Bob wore four things to the rodeo: boots, jeans, a shirt, and a hat.
    Not much difference perhaps, until you read the next line:

But what he should have worn was his cup.

With that as the next line, I think option 3 produces the most impact.

10. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Right--you're analyzing the interaction of two sentences, which to me is analysis at the paragraph level.

jannert likes this.
  11. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Yep. And it shows the importance of flow within a paragraph. Each sentence should relate to the next. Otherwise the paragraph reads like a grocery list instead of a story.
    Flow between paragraphs is important too, but it's different. One reason to start a new paragraph is to start a new flow.

12. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

English Lit Degrees don't mean anything for getting you into the industry. You typically need a doctorate, but that's for if you want to go into editing. Otherwise, it's throwing manuscripts at whoever will take them. Most authors tend not to have Lit degrees either.

As for writing that doesn't feel flat, try not to use the same words multiple times within the short succession, unless purposefully doing it for repetition. Vary sentence structure. Don't use unnecessarily complex words, and make sure they fit the tone of what you're going for.

13. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

An awful lot of successful writers have law degrees.
    This surprised me at first, but the most important skill you'll learn in law school is how to write, and in particular how to tell a story in a convincing fashion.

14. seira

seira Member

I find this is when beta readers come in handy. Sometimes what we write makes sense to us but not to another. My teacher said something once about writers using 'rose tinted glass' in writing. Making the words so colourful and flowery that you don't pay attention to what's going on behind it. Don't know why that stuck in my head but since then I decided to keep my sentences simple and just try to evoke plot, character and setting.

Zombie Among Us likes this.
  15. seira

seira Member

Hope this helped

16. halisme

Most writers tend to be passionate about something other than writing, that they then put in their stories. See Tom Clancy and his love of the military. With law I imagine they meet a lot of, interesting, personalities for them to base their characters off.

17. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Oops. Mistaken post.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  18. halisme

A lot of literary stuff is bound up in context nowadays. Law teaches you how people work in an environment when under constant scrutiny, which is admittedly more and more what the world is becoming.

19. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I didn't learn much about how to write in law school. I'd say law school is just where people go when they're smart and good with words, and most successful authors are also smart and good with words, so... it's more of a correlation than a causation.

20. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

Emotion could be your missing ingredient.

21. jannert

What? No panties? :)

22. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

He's not that kind of cowboy. If he runs out of clean BVDs before laundry day, he goes commando.
    Not that he wouldn't wear panties, but the last time he did it, he stretched them out of shape.
    His wife nearly divorced him.

23. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

Something I didn't see anyone mention yet:

Not every paragraph in your story will have dramatic impact: and that's a good thing. As someone mentioned in a 'show-don't-tell' thread a while back, if every paragraph in your story was showing instead of telling, it'd be a long and droning book indeed! Similarly, if every paragraph in your novel was flowery and dramatic and impactful, none of them would be. The power is in the contrast, just like a good art piece.

Chose which section is most important to be impactful, or that you've decided really needs to be impactful, and set up for it. Write a few normal paragraphs leading up to it, then hit home with an explosion of well chosen, precise, weighty words. If you can manage to end on that, you'll have yourself not just an interesting paragraph, but perhaps a legendary one. Good luck!

Zombie Among Us likes this.
  24. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Write some poetry? See if you can write a story with only 100, 50, 20 and 10 words? Take a random sentence and see how many different ways you can reiterate it? Basically, PLAY :)

25. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I see three different answers to this: mechanics, story, and voice. A good writer will have all three in place, and that will pull the reader forward.
    • Mechanics is universal. If you don't have it, the sentences are sloppy. (Reader walks away.)
    • The story needs to appear fast. It needs to matter and have tension. If either are missing, then the effort isn't compelling. (Reader takes a nap.)
    • The author/narrator's voice—please don't fight me on this—has to appear in paragraph-1 and never let up. If it doesn't, then the prose lacks sincerity. (Reader is vaguely unimpressed.)
    I think this question is about mechanics; i.e., how does sentence-1 lead seamlessly into sentence-2. And that's hard to sum up in a forum post. It's like putting a philosophy into a fortune cookie, but I'll try. From everything I've ever seen on subject, the trick is rhythm.

The movement through the paragraph is the flow, and is usually chalked up to varying sentence lengths. IMO, there's more to it than that. It's a good starting point though, probably the easiest.

This site: https://www.dailywritingtips.com/sentence-flow/ says the flow contains 1)sentence length and 2) progression of thought, which is kind of overlapping with story, but the story is always there and these things aren't exclusive. The site then goes on to show an author with very poor flow. (Flow is often filed under rhythm. Kind of like a simile being a metaphor.)

Langdon and Sophie stepped into another world. The small room before them looked like a lavish sitting room at a fine hotel. Gone were the metal and rivets, replaced with oriental carpets, dark oak furniture, and cushioned chairs. On the broad desk in the middle of the room, two crystal glasses sat beside an opened bottle of Perrier, its bubbles still fizzing. A pewter pot of coffee steamed beside it.
    There's not much of a story pushing the paragraph forward. That leaves you with voice and mechanics. But the voice is . . . very Dan Brown, so the sentences are tasked with holding the paragraph together all on their own. (He abandoned them. He doesn't even pay child support!) The authors then go on to do what every book does on this subject, they ignore their original definition (short/long sentences) and start talking about something else. In this case, structure. And that's where I agree with them, because structure, as was mentioned in great posts far above, will connect the sentences. It's part of rhythm.

In that Dan Brown paragraph, plain as it is, there's one sentence holding it all together, and that's sentence-3 (Gone were the metal and rivets . . .), because it's breaking the simple SVO declarations by flipping the structure into OVS. I don't think Dan Brown considered it, he just did it, because otherwise the paragraph would have been a middle school effort, just a list of facts. Some shift in structure was needed, and so he put the verb first in sentence-3.

That link then goes on to show a paragraph with better structures (still ignoring their definition), but it's muddled a bit by voice suddenly appearing. Let's face it, Brown's paragraph sounds like it's delivered by a realtor. I kept expecting talk of breakfast nooks and square footage.

I suppose I had once aspired to come here and walk among these beautiful, elegant people as one of their own, but that had been long ago, before all my dreams had been dashed like porcelain on paving stones. Now that I was finally here, I felt all the more like a Welsh collier’s brat, as if I were still twelve, nose running, and starting to outgrow my brother’s cast-offs. I was in the right place at the wrong time. Such was the refrain of my life.– Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas
    Running long again, sorry. I'll just say this. . . the rhythm includes flow (short/long sentences) and shifting structures, but it also needs sentences that switch between:
    • inner senses & outer senses
    • imagery & the literal
    • complexity & simplicity (of grammar, style, vocabulary)
    • passive & active voice
    • immediate tenses & complex tenses
    • narration/action/description
    • transitive/intransitive verbs
    • action & being verbs
    • etc.
    • (Notice how many of these fit in the Will Thomas paragraph. The connections are made of more than just structure.)
    When the sentences have variation—an unpredictable rhythm shaped by story and voice—they'll pull the reader along. Those rhythms exist at all levels, from words through scenes and up to story.

re: There's also sentence cohesion, non-sentential grammars, and elements existing between the lines too (i.e., discourse), but that's crazy talk, so let's pretend everything holding the paragraph together is actually written down.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019