1. aguywhotypes

aguywhotypes Active Member

more questions about what is poetry...

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by aguywhotypes, Apr 7, 2020.

I just read this: https://bukowski.net/manuscripts/displaymanuscript.php?show=poem1991-00-00-the-longest-snake-in-the-world.jpg&w=3277

that is considered poetry? or am I missing something?

now I wrote this not to long ago:

i wish i wouldn't
    mind being
    around people
    so much
    but for the most
    part i find
    them so an
    noying
    but at the same
    time i wouldn't
    want to be
    all by myself
    in complete

isolation

in conclusion
    i like people
    only close
    enough
    to make them out
    as a human being
    but not that
    close where i
    recognize any
    details.

ok, why is what Bukowski wrote considered poetry but what I wrote isn't?

let me add this poem as well: https://tinyurl.com/vweq4e5

After that, I'll never feel bad for what I write after The Niceties.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

That one's easy to answer. It's because you're not Charles Bukowski.

What I mean by that, simply, is that you're not a heavyweight literary icon who can publish something, anything, call it poetry and have the literary world accept/publish it as so.

If you want an even grosser example of how anything can be called poetry, check out Jack Kerouac's Book of Blues: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Blues-Penguin-Poets-Kerouac/dp/0140587004/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=jack+kerouac+book+of+blues&qid=1586282060&sr=8-2

All that said, I'm not altogether sure I disagree anyway. The author, just like an artist, can label their work whatever the hell they please. Whether others agree or not is entirely up to the individual.

3. aguywhotypes

interesting you brought that up. I was almost going to ask about that.
    I agree and that's what I thought.

4. OurJud

Keep doing what you're doing. It has a nice humble quality about it and I find it far more readable than most of the stuff offered up as poetry.

5. OurJud

6. aguywhotypes

Thank-you

I just bought Book of Blues. I read a little sample of it and man I love how smooth the words sound when read. I can hardly wait until that arrives.

7. OurJud

Not to put too much of a dampener on your purchase, I'll just say I hope you enjoy it more than I did. I had similar feelings and expectations as yourself when I ordered mine, but to be honest I found a lot of it unreadable.

Seriously, William Carlos Williams. Simply wonderful stuff. That's assuming you haven't tried him already and rejected him.

8. aguywhotypes

I like WCW, I'm currently reading his book now.

I bought the book used so if I don't like it I'll donate it.

9. OurJud

That's a bit drastic. Let it sit on a shelf gathering dust. You never know you might fancy having another dip some time in the future. That's what I just did. I dug it out after our conversion and gave it another try. Still found most of it unreadable.

10. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Senior Member

This. Although Bukowski is regularly lauded as a profound poet, it really is a matter of personal taste at the end of the day. One of the modern poets I've read recently, Zachary Schaumberg (burg? berg? I don't know), he wrote a lot in list form, and to me that's not necessarily poetry. That's a list. But a girl I went to college with brought him to our poetry class because to her he was brilliant.

I think one of the reasons why I struggle with poetry is because it is built so deeply on personal taste. Personally, I love Kerouac. And Ginsberg. I also love John Donne and Edna St. Millay, and all of these other poets that have nothing to do with each other. Eliot, and Whitman. I'm not too sure who makes the rules on how you become famous for poetry, but honestly, if you like writing it and you like reading it, that feels like it's enough?

Also, side note, one of my favorite bands, Modest Mouse, have a song called Bukowski, and there's a line that goes, "yeah, I know he's a pretty good read, but God, who'd wanna be such an asshole?"

I don't know if I answered your question or just rambled for a while, but I hope this helps.

OurJud likes this.
  11. Que

Que Member

Yeah, poetry is like wine: a bad poem is one you don't like, and a good poem is one you do like. The difference, however, is more objective than that. Poems run the gamut from appallingly awkward to annoyingly incomprehensible. Enigmatic, sentimental, writer-centered prose with little crafting of the emotional content is not poetry. Between these extremes are poems crafted to engage the thoughts and feelings of a targeted audience. More about that when I have enough posts to qualify...
    Que

12. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Kurt Vonnegut once asked a poet what poets do. She replied, "They extend the language."

By that, I think she meant that poets put words into services that they weren't intended for, in novel ways that aren't intuitive. Literary conventions like meter and line spacing and word breaks and even definitions become putty in their hands, infinitely moldable into shapes that haven't been seen before.

Xoic likes this.