Most Destructive Superpower?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Adam Bolander, Aug 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dalantri

Dalantri Member

I like the inherent conditional aspect that mind reading is like ‘hearing’: you can’t control sound so unless you’re really focused on one person you hear everyone. That makes it harder to know WHO is thinking something bad and, even trickier, is it just a thought or a conscious object.

jannert likes this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

A really good way to look at it, actually.

The trick to making a really good superhero story is to resist the impulse to make things too easy for the superhero. The usual way to do this is to give them some sort of emotional conflict ...family members threatened, etc. But why not make it really difficult for the superhero to actually USE the power they have. Conditions have to be just right, or the superpower doesn't work? So the story is about how the superhero can set up exactly the right scenario. That is an inherently complex situation, which certainly makes for a more gripping storyline, in my opinion.

If the antagonist is aware of this requirement, this can make the story a real cat and mouse conflict between them as well. And a totally cathartic release, when the superhero finally achieves that moment, and is able to do his/her thing.

Dalantri likes this.
  3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Wouldn't it be anything that has no achilles heel? I mean the superpower isn't as important as what can neutralize it - isn't it? I'm not a huge fan of superhero movies though so who knows.

Dalantri likes this.
  4. Accelerator231

Accelerator231 Contributor Contributor

That's easy.

Several dozen kilometer radius power. Within that zone, you can't be lied to or lie to anyone. Text messages somehow convey that your wife is cheating on you. Politicians end up admitting they are pedophiles. You also have the power to not be killed by an enraged mob.

Go to Washington, and then turn it on.

Dalantri and Xoic like this.
  5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Voice of Command, where he can order any individual the command is directed at to take a specific action. Noticeable as others can hear the directed command. Could be used for good or less good reasons.

Dalantri and jannert like this.