Movies, Movies, Movies!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ILTBY, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

My aspiration is to be a screenwriter. You can get scripts at IMSDB.com. I have been reading scripts of movies I've seen, and wanted to get an idea of how a script compared to a movie I haven't seen. My next step will be to get my hands on the movie and see how it compares to the script.

Oscar Leigh and Iain Aschendale like this.
  2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I kind want a sequel. I wanna know what happens with all the unsolved plot threads. In some ways the decisions to focus on the most central characters and their personal arc was quite nice, ending with, you know, that scene, rather than something more dramatic that has a broader world impact. It made sense with the focus they'd already on atmosphere and their personal lives not the epic saga of the world. But I would like to see those plot points get their time in the sun, which doesn't have to ruin the pacing of the story. In particular the "big bad" character was only in two scenes but I thought his dialogue was quite interesting and Leto did a good job. I want to know what's up with his eyes. And I want to see what happens with the Replicant revolutionary people, because their characters weren't much explored and there's all sorts of interesting things you can do when you actually depict them doing their fight. You could make it a bit more morally complex when they have to make decisions about how ruthless they want to be.
    In many ways this story was very good but felt like it was really setting something up. Every still living character has obvious progressions still to go and there are so many events that the story sets up that would be occurring afterwards. Besides, this is hollywood. They love sequels. They've always loved sequels. Sequels are easier than risking it on something new. So I'd rather they give a sequel to a really good movie like this that has a lot it could do with one than like, a mission impossible sequel or something. That series was made for repetitive sequels like many action movies are, so it works well for that but becomes boring.

3. Oscar Leigh

I wouldn't spoil the movies by reading the whole script beforehand. Now sometimes I might have seen like a quick plot summary or a few clips if I wasn't expecting to watch it but I wouldn't want to see too much. Especially of a movie like that I would definitely want to see.

4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I was wondering that myself. The only comparison I can think of is choosing to read rather than watch Shakespeare. Deadpool wasn't horrible, but....

EDIT: My response was overtaken by quite a few responses, it seems. Makes sense to me in this context.

5. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

I'm not terribly spoiler averse, especially with a movie like Deadpool. I did ask a friend if it had any major twists or turns like he knows I appreciate, and he told me there weren't any. I wouldn't read the script for a movie like Fight Club or The Watchmen, because there's a mystery or twist I'd want to see played out. I've seen both of those, however, and enjoy their scripts.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. SanderPander

SanderPander Member

Perhaps we'll get a sequel, as like you said, it's Hollywood. Having said that, so far it's not performing too well in the box office. Time will tell how well it does, but if it flops, probably no sequel. It's a shame though, it's one of those rare well done movies that really takes its time to setup the atmosphere and tone, with fantastic cinematography. Oh well.... I guess most people can't keep their attention on something for more than a few seconds in this instant gratification society we live in today.

In case you haven't seen it yet, three short films were placed on Youtube that flesh out a bit more what happened in the 30 years between the first movie and this one:

Black Out 2022
    2036: Nexus Dawn
    2048: Nowhere To Run

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Doesn't open here for another month or so, so I'm running around with my fingers in my ears.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. Oscar Leigh

Cool!

9. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Films You've Probably Never Seen ... But Really Should (#1 of ?)

10. OurJud

Recorded Casablanca the other day. I know it's one of those films that falls under the 'classic' banner, but I don't know whether I can be arsed committing to the time.

Anyone here seen it?

[edit] I took the plunge and loved it!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    minstrel and Iain Aschendale like this.
  11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

One of my top ten favorite films of all time. It's a classic for a reason.

OurJud and Iain Aschendale like this.
  12. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Just saw Blade Runner 2049 and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I did see the twist coming, although I missed who it would twist to. A little confused on where that huge (well, relatively huge) population of orphan scrap picker slaves is coming from, but okay. I love that replicant slaves can own purely electronic slaves, but found it slightly implausible that Siri/Joi would have that much of a personality and free will and all. Gotta love happy endings though.

Oh yeah, and Princess Buttercup is a hard-nosed police lieutenant?

Mind.

Blown.

OurJud, izzybot and 8Bit Bob like this.
  13. OurJud

Yes, it was very very good. There's an episode of Red Dwarf that's a homage to the film. I got the references before, but now having seen the film I think I'll smile that little bit wider next time I watch the episode.

Out on dvd on the 19 Dec (I think). It will definitely be on my Christmas list.

14. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I thought the story was garbage but the visuals were good. Even a rudimentary analysis of the plot exposes glaring problems. In the end it was pretentious, not deep. At least the original was, at it's heart, still just a cop drama.
    Joi doesn't have free will or personality. Only the illusion that she does, as K realizes / experiences when the giant nude hologram of a Joi program is advertised and references him and everyone as 'Joe', when until then he was seduced into believing she gave him that name to humanize him and bring them together. He realizes that he's wanted her to be real / have personality, but she doesn't. She's just software. One of the more interesting elements in the film

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Iain Aschendale likes this.
  15. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Chekhov's (jammed) Gun.

16 Blocks, about the 15 minute mark...

Sclavus likes this.
  16. OurJud

Tonight's film shall be Carrie - De Palma's original, of course, not the twatty remake with Chloe Whatsherface.

Maybe a day too late, but in my opinion the entire winter period is fair game for horror films.

17. OurJud

Watching Carrie reminds me how much of a lost art the film score is. Pino Donnagio's should have won an Oscar for his music here. I honestly can't think of a film in the last 20 years that's had a truly memorable score - a score so good it's one of the main reasons you look forward to repeat viewings of the film.

18. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed

OurJud likes this.
  19. Tigranuhi

Tigranuhi New Member

Hello, I am searching for fully funded training programs for beginner writers. Any piece of information or links for program list will be appreciated. Thanks!

20. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Lost art? You haven't been paying attention to some incredible recent film scores. Just look at what Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross did with Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, or Johnny Greenwood with Inherent Vice, or Nick Cave and Warren Ellis for The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

They help elevate the visuals and create mood in such a way the music almost makes the film. Then there's There Will be Blood, Night Moves, Gadjo Dilo, Enemy, Oblivion, Mad Max: Fury Road and so many more.

And in the last 20 years we've also seen Requiem for a Dream, which has, in my opinion, the best single track for a film ever recorded. The rest of the score was also impressive.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  21. OurJud

@Selbbin - I don't know. I'll have to give these a good listen to before I can pass judgement, although I know of RfaD.

Maybe it's because I'm a traditionalist, but they just don't seem to play the same role any more.

22. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    There is a montage of the 9/11 footage set to this music. I'm not going to link because it goes extremely... extremist at the end (the kind that doesn't like any Muslim at all), but it was my introduction to that song, and it's a powerful one.

23. OurJud

I watched a documentary last night on the film score, in which the composer of this tune was featured. He has no musical training, can't read/write music and composes all his stuff by ear, electronically. Not saying that's an issue, just an interesting fact I thought I'd share.

Anyway, he says RfoD has been used on pretty much everything. It was even given the 'big score' treatment for the LotR trailer.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  24. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Yeah, I think I first saw it as a LOTR trailer, I remember trying to find the video in question using "two towers" and "9/11". That'll get you the phone book back...

25. OurJud

Death Wish 3 is showing at the moment. I think it's quite possibly the worst film ever made.