Movies, Movies, Movies!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ILTBY, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Fair point. :)

2. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

I think that if you liked and supported The Force Awakens, then you deserved what you got with The Last Jedi. Some people actually have the nerve to say "this spoils the original trilogy's character arc" regarding the latter.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  3. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

- "Star Wars: The Last Jedi": 100% recommend if you're in for a fun movie, but aren't going to be overly critical and aren't going to be a sad fanboy/girl whose fan theories didn't get turned into film. I enjoyed this film a lot and I'd see it again if I could afford to. However, I try hard not to be nitpicky with movies any more because that only leads to disappointment and, in my opinion, ruins the ability to enjoy the movie.

- "Dunkirk": I wasn't expecting to enjoy this movie as much as I did, but I loved it. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys this time period of history.

-"Girls Night": If you want a fun comedy, this is it. It's dirty and raunchy, but hilarious and Jada Pinkett-Smith is way awesome. I was surprised by this movie and I had a lot of fun watching it though it usually what I like to watch.
    __

There'll be more movies in the future because I enjoy going to the movies when possible. I'm really looking forward to "The Maze Runner" (you have no idea how much I love this book series), "Jumanji", rewatching "IT", "The Nutcracker and the Four Realms", and "Avengers: Infinity War". There're more movies that I really want to see, but I can't remember the names at the moment.

Fiender_ likes this.
  4. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

I can't comprehend why anyone would ever speculate about who Snoke Really Is, or Who Mary Sue's Parents Were any more than I comprehend people who are really into Jar Jar Binks (such people exist, yes). All of them are terrible characters and don't offer anything intriguing.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Iain Aschendale likes this.
  5. Fiender_

Fiender_ Active Member

Maybe turn down the sass? It's possible someone did enjoy those characters and got something out of them that you didn't. That doesn't make you 'incorrect' or anyone else 'correct', but that's the beauty of opinions. If I liked the movie (or had even seen it or cared about Star Wars), and read your post, I'd feel rather attacked. Probably enough to derail this thread more than I am right now.

6. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

It's possible to enjoy something and still recognize that it is of low quality. If I had liked Finn or Rey (or Kylo Ren, or Maz Kanata, or Snoke, or Poe Dameron, or Phasma), I would've called it a guilty pleasure. Certainly I wouldn't claim that those characters were original/interesting/well written.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  7. Fiender_

Fiender_ Active Member

My point kinda was, what if someone didn't think it was low quality? What if someone just liked it without it being a guilty pleasure?

8. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

They'd be wrong, and I'd be able to explain why.

9. 8Bit Bob

8Bit Bob Here ;) Contributor

Okay, so apparently they're making a Slender Man movie now. Like, wut?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  10. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    They could just do a documentary, that would be scarier than anything I've ever seen. The first attacker has recently been sentenced to 25 years in psychiatric care, and they're asking for at least 40 for the girl who actually did the stabbing.

12 years old.

11. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

See, I didn't think it was a 'fun' movie at all. I actually felt it took itself waaaaaaaaaay too seriously. I was bored, not entertained, which is all I was after. That's why I think, apart from some great visuals, it was shit. And not because I'm a 'nitpicky fanboy'. I much preferred Rogue One.

12. 8Bit Bob

8Bit Bob Here ;) Contributor

Yeah, I remember hearing about that when it happened. It was awful.

13. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I've noticed that the last two Star Wars movies were super well praised before they came out, in reviews, but upon release both were criticized.

14. Selbbin

Considering the weight of expectation I think some critics have been simply telling people what they want to hear. A similar thing happened to episode 1. I did red carpet interviews after the premiere in Australia and all the celebrities were praising it way too much.

The main thing that bugs me is the people who do like it claiming those who don't are either disgruntled fanboys or 'don't get it.'

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  15. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

There has been a spurge of remakes and such lately. I get the feeling although they aim to bring the originals to a fresh audience they do little more than water them down or simply destroy the original intent. Movies like Total Recall and IT, although watchable, were nothing compared to the originals.

Maybe I am being naïve? The movie industry has likely been full of clichéd and overhyped since the beginning. The one's that matter do usually stand the test of time. Maybe I was spoilt! I grew up with Gremlins, Starwars, E.T., Predator, Terminator, Trading Places, Alien, Aliens, Pulp Fiction, Amelie (actually this is past 2000!), The Goonies, American Beauty, and The Usual Suspects. Being an 80's child I was lucky enough to have a sense of anticipation at Christmas time over watch movies would be shown on ITV and BBC. I remembering the whole family glorying at the feast of movies over the holiday period. Today it is readily available which makes the whole experience more bland and, IMO, the movies produced more bland.

Can anyone set out a list of movies post 2000 that measure up to those listed above?

My attempt would be The Matrix ... Oop! 1999 ... see what I mean? I cannot even start a list! haha! (amended for Amelie!)

Cave Troll likes this.
  16. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Sounds like a good start to a list of remakes :mad:

Cave Troll likes this.
  17. 123456789

You've missed a shit load. Back to the Future, Ferris Bueller's day off, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Twelve Monkeys, Last of the Mohicans, Jurassic Park, good fellas, BRAVEHEART.

It's important not to just idolize the films of your childhood and somehow try to be objective when comparing it with later day films. I can think of a few ones that honestly compare, like Memento, Inception, Batman Returns (basically most things Nolan), Lord of the Rings, Sideways, Wolf of Wall Street, Drive, and most importantly, because it's so recent and so phenomenal and imho (I'd be curious to hear from @Selbbin if he has one) an example of moving forward in mainstream cinema, Blade Runner 2047.

Do I think I think the frequency of good and great movies is as high today as back in the day? It depends on your age. If your five to twelve years old, today is better.

The good news is that streaming media, especially in regards to shows, is pretty awesome, although I'm starting to notice a more soap opera, never ending quality to a lot of these things that kills it a bit for me. If you had any doubts to the quality, I urge you to check out the Irishman being released on Netflix, which basically has all your Goodfellas guys (including Scorseses) plus Pacino. To me, that is pretty huge.

18. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi, aka the last Star Wars movie I'm paying to see.

I'm not one of those people who insist on perfect orbital mechanics and all in space opera, but the gravity-fed bomb chutes in the opening scene set me up to be pissed off at the movie. Ask me to suspend disbelief, fine, but don't call me a fucking idiot.

I thought for a while about making a whole review of everything I hated about this movie, but it's not worth my time. The ultimate, completely unforgivable sin of this movie is the scene when Finn and the Asian plumber-lady are trying to figure out how the bad guys tracked them through a hyperspace jump.

And Finn explains that he has to get to Harley Quinn quickly, because they're wearing friendship bracelets that can track each other anywhere in the Galaxy at any time, and if she uses hers to find him she'll drop out of hyperspace (that they just dropped out of) right into an ambush.

But how the hell did they track us?

Idiots idiots idiots (the writers, editors, and producers, if you liked it, well, there'll be one more empty seat in the theater for you next time). How in the name of Satan's well-polished obsidian taint could you miss a detail like that happening in one scene?

Almost walked out.

Almost regret not doing so.

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    You mean gravity bombs in 0g don't work. :p
    Yeah I have heard all kinds of bad things about the movie.
    Even Mark Hamil said he was not thrilled with the story,
    or the direction they took with Luke.

20. badgerjelly

Of course I missed many from the 90's and 80's. I kind of see Jussaric Park as the beginning of the end.

The list for movies from the 80's and 90's is full of great movies. I just don't see the same kind of quality the past 17 years.

21. badgerjelly

Just remembered the scene from Clerks 2 where he makes the Lord of the Rings fanboy throw up! hahah!!

Now I think about it, some of the comedies since the turn of the millennium have been seriously good.

22. 123456789

I might get yelled at for saying this,

and look, I love the comedy greats-Airplane!, Christmas Vacation, and the 90's stuff like Dumb and Dumber,

but I think overall the post 2000 comedy stuff is as good if not better.

Nothing beats Team America, Tropic Thunder, Wedding Crashers, 40 year old virgin, and pineapple express

I would say in the last several years comedy in film has pretty much screeched to a halt, though

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Cave Troll likes this.
  23. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Lost in Translation, with Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson

The Wrestler, with Mickey Rourke. I don't care if you don't like Mickey Rourke (I generally don't), or if you aren't into pro-wrestling, this is a work of genius about a star who has long burned out.

Cast Away, with Tom Hanks

The first two-thirds of A.I.

Gravity, with Sandra Bullock

Mad Max: Fury Road

Had to do some searching to be reminded of those, but they were all good movies that I think will stand the test of time.

123456789 likes this.
  24. 123456789

Amen to those.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  25. Selbbin

You can't think of one? This is not a list of my fav's (in fact, some I hate), but just a few of the iconic, game-changing films in the naughties and beyond:
    Edit: the ones in bold are the ones I personally think compare to or are better than the great 80s and 90s films.

Dredd, The Raid, Edge of Tomorrow, Primer, There Will be Blood, Tropic Thunder, Mad Max: Fury Road, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Superbad, The Lord of the Rings, District 9, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Shrek, Pan's labyrinth, Paranormal activities, SAW, Borat, Avatar, Adaptation, REC, Melancholia, Moon, Requiem for a dream, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Knocked up, The 40 Year Old Virgin, The Hangover, Cloverfield, Into the Wild, Black Hawk Down, Pirates of the Caribbean, Mean Girls, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Mulholland Drive, Team America, Ghost World, Donnie Darko, The Room (sadly), Taken, 300, Sin City, Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, Training Day, Zoolander, 28 Days later, The Fast and the Furious, The Act of Killing, Brokeback Mountain, Moulin Rouge!, Spring Breakers, Let the Right One In (and Let Me In), Finding Nemo, Apocalypto, Birdman, Drive, Rambo (4), Iron Man, Deadpool... and so on and so forth...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018