Movies, Movies, Movies!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ILTBY, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Haha, I saw that, but I was actually listing things I wasn't referring to here, my only issue was how realistic they were getting.

T_L_K likes this.
  2. T_L_K

T_L_K Senior Member

Yes, definitely, I didn't read it any other way at all, but because the beginning of the sentence was exactly the same, and I'd just posted it, and I have a tendency to be a little paranoid... (Sighs).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Iain Aschendale likes this.
  3. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

I'm probably late to this party, but am I the only one who thought that Infinity War was, while a great movie and very entertaining, very disjointed? There was almost too much going on among the different groups within the movie, making it seem non-linear as well as confusing the flow for me.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie! I'm a huge Marvel fan (as well as DC, don't flame me!), but the constant shifting between perspectives threw me off a bit when I first watched it.

Malisky and Spencer1990 like this.
  4. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Even more so if you haven't watched Ragnarok first. I watched it right after.

Does anyone have any suggestions upon a good mystery or crime movie? I want to watch one right now, but I'm afraid I've seen most of the good ones. It doesn't have to be american or in a specific language just as long as I can find it.

5. Zerotonin

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is a hilarious crime movie. Would definitely recommend it.

Malisky likes this.
  6. Malisky

Seen it, like most of Guy Ritchies' films. I think I've watched this thrice and very rarely do I watch anything twice. Love the way this guy directs.

7. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

The Drop is a fantastic gangster thriller.

Other crime films that may suit:

Hell or High Water.

And, if you can find it, an interesting Spanish mystery/ crime mind fuck: Time Crimes

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Malisky likes this.
  8. Malisky

The Drop was indeed a pretty good movie. Gonna watch Hell or High Water, since I know that Jeff Bridges can do me no wrong and Time Crimes after. Thanks!

9. T_L_K

T_L_K Senior Member

I loved (loooved) Hell or High Water. I was gutted it didn't even get one Oscar.

I didn't manage to find one decent film to go see at my local Cineworld for months, so was paying for nothing. Out of total despair I actually researched the possible alternatives and found out the Curzon (a British chain cinema chain that shows all the good stuff) have a "reduced" membership scheme called Local Cult which turns out to be less expensive, though you must pay in one go. One of the cinemas included isn't at all far from me, so bye bye Cineworld indeed.

10. Zerotonin

Super late to the party, but I'm assuming you've seen Lawless? One of my favorite Tom Hardy movies.

Malisky likes this.
  11. Malisky

Haven't seen it. I'll check it out when I return.

12. Dracon

Dracon Contributor Contributor

Mission Impossible: Fallout. I had the "another one!?" mindset and assumed that there would be some serious franchise fatigue in this sixth outing that they should just lay it to bed. How wrong I was! Crazy non-stop action, seriously upped the ante with crazy, real stunts. This film grabs you by the scruff of the neck and never lets go. ItIwas so gripping, I barely even felt the 2h 20min runtime.

All I would say is that watching the previous film Rogue Nation is a must, because it is almost a direct sequel to that film, and brings back a couple of characters and relationships that you wouldn't appreciate fully without having seen it. Definitely the best film of the franchise so far. So far. I hope there's more to come. 9/10

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Speaking of franchise fatigue... Sigh... Just let it die, just like the dinosaurs. First Jurassic Park film when I was wondering to myself at about the 1/2-2/3 mark when it was going to end. Desperate attempts at suspense where there is none to be found...

The first Act had the promise of something that might be interesting, and then a strange pivot into the second Act which is as bland and predictable as they come. 4/10

13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I found the newer Jurassic Park much more tolerable than its predecessor, but your take on MI:666 is welcome, I've been debating whether to see it or not. It's had the sort of advertising blitz here that often presages a terrible movie looking for overseas salvation (the same trailer ran twice before JP!). Thanks for the thoughts.

Cave Troll likes this.
  14. Zerotonin

Recently re-watched my favorite movie of all time, In Bruges, and it only reaffirmed my love of it. The dark humor mixed with lovable characters and a predictable, yet interesting plot always manages to keep my attention.

Also, what other movie do you know of asks if all of the midgets of different races would fight each other in a race war?

Cave Troll and izzybot like this.
  15. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Tried watching The Motorcycle Diaries but turned it off 30 minutes in, bored shitless.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  16. surrealscenes

surrealscenes Senior Member

Bag Man with J Cusac and R De Nero

17. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I went to see The Incredibles 2 yesterday. Holy PAWG, Batman!

And some quick research reveals that the rest of the internet noticed too, and loves it.

Cave Troll likes this.
  18. T_L_K

T_L_K Senior Member

Apostasy and The Escape next on my list. I'll probably be reporting.

19. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Just saw Lake Placid 17: Pacific Sharkening with Jason Statham.

Meh.

Dracon and Oscar Leigh like this.
  20. OurJud

As I've mentioned elsewhere I'm new to the whole Star Wars franchise, and only watched A New Hope after picking it up in a store for £1 a couple of days ago. Coincidentally Empire Strikes Back was shown on tv today and I have to say I thought it was awful. Maybe this is the general consensus among Star War fans anyway, but the whole Yoda training segments made it feel like a Jim Henson fantasy film rather than sci-fi. And Chewy was particularly annoying, with that constant howling groan thing he does.

21. OurJud

The tv schedules are continuing their run of the original Star Wars trilogy and I'm currently watching Return of the Jedi. I honestly had no idea these films were so damn silly. They're virtually comedies.

22. T_L_K

T_L_K Senior Member

So I missed Apostasy due to an uninteresting series of events which delayed me. I'll be sharing my thoughts on The Escape. I apologise in advance for being once again a little less enthused than (probably) the majority. I hate it, but I'm being forced to contemplate the idea that I might be a very cynical person. I liked the film, to be honest. I just didn't love it in the way others did.

It's clear from the first few minutes of this film, and it was already to me from the snippets I'd seen, that it is largely inspired by French cinema. This was probably what got me most interested in it in the first place. I'll start with what I liked about it. Gemma Arteton and Dominic Cooper are excellent. There are a couple of very good scenes, or very good moments of them. One that comes to mind is the one in which he comes home from work while she's sitting at the kitchen table after her day out in London, and she begins an emotional explanation about this art course she wants to take, him not understanding why she's at all crying about it. Dominic Savage applies the showing-not-telling rule with consistency, in pretty the same way the French do, which at times works very well. Yes but. I had issues with some details which made it impossible for me to really be seduced by the story. The main one was that I had to make myself believe, throughout the film, in the two characters (not actors) as two people who would have actually once chosen each other. I'll explain. There's this sad thing that may happen in life when you realise years down the line of being with someone you once felt you had enough in common with that you really didn't, and you begin to discover someone you don't really like, or like a lot less than you once did, or thought you did. Though I haven't (properly) experienced it myself I can instinctively understand it. In this film, I found the link between who the man she may have thought she was marrying and having children with, and the one with whom she shares the life she's desperate to run away from, to be missing in a way that made the very premise of the story incoherent. Put bluntly, the characters appear to be intellectually incompatible in a way that didn't allow me to believe they (especially she) could have once decided they wanted to spend their lives together. There's the possible (and I suppose common) story of two people falling in love and becoming an item, and seeing one, or both, evolve through the years in ways so distinct that their being together no longer seems possible, because they have so little left in common. But then there's the couple you can't believe in, and this to me was pretty much it. I guess the best way to describe how much this distracted me from getting into the story is that although I immediately identified with the main character's despair, the film didn't at all move me. Instead it made me want to re-watch the masterful Blue Valentine.

I'll wait for others to give their views on BlacKkKlansman before sharing mine. :evilsmile:

23. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

They're meant for kids. A lot of people tend to forget this when they take their fandom too seriously.

24. OurJud

Very true, but they're supposedly a big deal. I quite enjoyed the original, but the second two are pretty awful.

25. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

The Judy Garland-James Mason version of A Star is Born is one of my all-time top five. I see we have a new remake with Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga. Hmmmmph. We'll see.

Cave Troll likes this.