Movies, Movies, Movies!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ILTBY, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey on the big screen yesterday.

Absolutely amazing film. The only parts of it that don't hold up so well are the big, clunky buttons where we'd have touchscreens and the lack of diversity, but it's still mind-blowing what Kubrick was able to accomplish with just model-making and set building. The way he just holds the long, long shots when gravitational perspective is shifting to show you that, yeah, that guy did just go "down" a ladder that is up to the other character, then walk around the ring to talk to him. I think I spotted how he pulled that off on the rotating set, but only because I was hyper-keyed to look for those sorts of things.

Also it's pretty obvious why Pan-Am went out of business. Heywood Floyd was the only passenger on the orbital shuttle. Dunno what the cost per kilo to orbit was in 2001, but you couldn't run a Boston-to-New York 727 shuttle with those numbers.

ETA: Look at this. The seated actor must have been strapped in while the other one was climbing "down" the ladder, then they started the rotating set to allow the other one to walk around the wheel. These days they'd greenscreen the whole thing and it would look like utter shit.

Kubrick ordered all the sets and models burned at the end of filming to prevent their re-use in lesser productions.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  2. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Watched "3-Iron" again. The MC & his love interest (not a spoiler, it's on the poster) make the family in "A Quiet Place" look like loudmouths. So if any words are said, of course they'll count. Will anything be said? Hmm . . .

Anyway, it's an exceptional flick. It's about a guy who sneaks into people's houses while they're away and lives there. He fixes a few things, lounges about and then moves on. It's strangely endearing and funny in places. Lots of drama ensues. Don't watch the trailer. Just go in blind.

Oh, this is a Korean movie. Subtitles are pretty sparse though.

EFMingo likes this.
  3. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

My own 2 cents: I personally think the film holds up well on both those counts. Big buttons makes sense if you're in EVA gear for various reasons, and casting should not have a "meet our token numerator" pretense—that's application of racial bias.

It is a phenomenal film. I don't think that bold opening would fly at all these days!

Iain Aschendale and Xoic like this.
  4. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

It didn't fly then. Many people (ETA 241 apparently) walked out of the premiere.

5. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

May watch The Blues Brothers. It’s one of the cult classics I’ve never seen.

Xoic likes this.
  6. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Oh man I envy you. I wish I could see it again for the 1st time!! Don't even bother with the sequel though. Trust me.

7. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

it’s so good

OurJud and Xoic like this.
  8. OurJud

Still not seen it. Just as I was about to throw the disc in the machine I remembered the new episode of The Grand Tour landed that day, so I watched that instead. I might do BB tonight.

9. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I’ve tuned in to a science fiction movie called Bliss with Owen Wilson and Salma Hayek . It’s about a man who meets a woman who believes that they are living in a simulated reality of her own making. Then in their own way they both have to figure out what is “real” and where they truly belong. I feel like this movie ended on an open question and that it demands a sequel? It’s a 2021 movie. If you enjoy watching sci-fi, then I don’t see why you shouldn’t enjoy a movie like this one .

10. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Tried to watch White Boy Rick on Netflix because I heard something or other about the guy it was based on in the last few weeks.

Serious, serious Stephen King don't know shit about guns syndrome. The opening scene has two characters...

...at a gun show arguing about whether some AKs are Egyptian or Russian based on the number of holes in the receiver.

Not, like, the stampings indicating where they were made or anything.

Then dad threatens to expose the dealer for trying to sell to a 14 year old, despite no money even having been promised, let alone exchanging hands. I asked lots and lots of questions at gun shops before I turned 18. Dealers are always willing to educate youngsters in the hobby, take that as you may.

Then dad mills a silencer out of bar stock. Not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure that silencing an AK wasn't a practical option in 1984.

Then the evil cops show the kid a picture of a guy who traveled back in time after being shot twice in the back of the head with a .40 caliber. .40 S&W didn't come out until 1990, but I just left the movie.

Fucking screenwriters.

Not going any further with this one, sorry.

11. OurJud

Might have to flick a coin for tonight’s film. The two contenders are The Deer Hunter and The Godfather.

Or I might just watch Die Hard again.

12. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

I watched Hell or High Water the other night. Good movie. I really like Chris Pine’s acting.

I watched Once upon a Time in the West a little while ago, and I just want to say that it totally sucks. Greatest western? Give me a break. Then to wash the taste of it out of my mouth I watched Hang ‘Em High. God I love that movie.

OurJud and EFMingo like this.
  13. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Paint the town red and call it Hell!

14. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

you may be thinking of High Plains Drifter. Both Eastwood films.

15. OurJud

Do you get TCM over there? I swear that channel’s schedules are made up of 80% westerns.

My choices tonight - as mentioned earlier - were between The Deer Hunter, The Godfather, and Die Hard. So naturally I watched Jackie Brown.

16. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I always interchange them. I knew I would get it wrong.

17. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

I think so, but I don't have TV. I should see if there's a way to stream it, though.

OurJud likes this.
  18. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Good choices. If these were the only three movies in existence, I would go like this:

Die Hard if I wanted something on in the background while I did something else on the couch, like fold clothes, play guitar, or do paperwork. Similar to having a football or baseball game on.

The Godfather if I wanted something on while I feel asleep on the couch. Not because it's boring but because I've seen it so many times it's become comfort food.

The Deer Hunter if I wanted to watch a movie intently from start to finish with no distractions. Party because it's so intense and blends so many moods, tones, and themes together, but also because I've only seen it 4 or 5 times and don't have every word, beat, and facial expression memorized.

OurJud and EFMingo like this.
  19. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I used to love watching old movies on repeat but no longer. They have to be new. I want to tune in to a movie with an unusual premise and, even better, a movie where I have no idea what direction the plot going. A movie that’s won an award or two also helps. Just like with my books, I’m a bit of a snob when it comes to choosing movies. There’s a whole bunch of teenage flicks with sexual content that I totally avoid. And also gore. I hate gore.

20. OurJud

That’s a very hard logic to argue with. And I know what you mean about TDH. It really is a journey of a film. It captures a mood (especially the whole wedding scene at the start) like no other film. That Pennsylvanian steelworks town is beautifully haunting.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  21. Homer Potvin

Oh, yeah, definitely. I remember TMC or some other channel did a John Cazale marathon and looped TDH in with the Godfather and Dog Day Afternoon. That was a damn good day of movie watching. And IIRC he was already dying of cancer when they filmed TDH.

22. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

great actor

Homer Potvin likes this.
  23. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Pacino said he learned how to act by watching him.

24. OurJud

Not seen DDA. May have to track it down somewhere.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  25. Homer Potvin

Oh, shit, really? That's an apex predator classic. Something for you to look forward to.

OurJud likes this.