Movies, Movies, Movies!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ILTBY, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

It was only the haircuts.

2. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I don't know, what am I missing?

3. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Iain was cheekily playing into the world of the movie where the Beatles never existed. If you read his post again with that context it makes more sense.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    [​IMG]

5. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

That's what I responded to. This conversation is giving me a headache.

OurJud likes this.
  6. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Just watched Kate on Netflix. Very Japanesy with a shit ton of bloody violence.

7. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I was thinking of watching that, but then I remember how Netflix tends to way overdo violence to the point it just gets kind of gross and breaks the film immersion, so I skipped it. Glad to hear I was correct.

8. Earp

Yeah there isn't much character development (or plot, for that matter), but the fight scenes are well choreographed and Mary Elizabeth Winstead does a good job.

ETA: Has Woody Harrelson taken Bruce Willis' title as King of the Forgettable Movies?

Iain Aschendale and EFMingo like this.
  9. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Watching Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. Not seen it before but there’s something very off with the pacing. Not 15 minutes into the film, and less than 10 minutes after Thunderbolt and Lightfoot first meet, Thunderbolt says to Lightfoot, as he stops the car on a street corner, “Well, this is where I get out,” prompting Lightfoot to get all sentimental like they’ve been friends since childhood. Thunderbolt offers him his watch, an offer Lightfoot slaps away saying, “I don’t want your watch, man. I want your friendship. Goddammit I like ya, that’s all. I thought we were getting to be friends.” It’s a scene that would have made sense 15 minutes from the end, not 15 minutes in.

10. Earp

Watched Safe House on Netflix. Not bad. Very similar in style to the Bourne films.

11. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I watched Frozen II one night and Moana the next. If I had a copy of Zootopia, I'd have made it a perfect threesome.

love to read likes this.
  12. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

I watched Field of Dreams last night. I guess I'd forgotten how much I love it. It's the sort of movie you'd expect might be cheesy, but it strikes just the right tone and it becomes legitimately emotional. It's like A Wonderful Life; I'd put it right up there.

Midlife Maniac, OurJud and EFMingo like this.
  13. OurJud

I need to dig this one up from somewhere. I wonder if Prime has it as a freebie?

14. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

I watched it for free on Peacock, actually.

OurJud likes this.
  15. Midlife Maniac

Midlife Maniac Active Member

Watched the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre last night. Perfect way to welcome October. So many films and franchises built of this one!

Seven Crowns likes this.
  16. love to read

love to read Senior Member

James Bond 007 – No Time To Die.

I know I said earlier I was hoping for a spectacular farewell, but this was a typical case of ‚be careful what you wish for‘. First, I became slightly nervous when he had to go back because the doors of the hangars were shut again. Then he got shot, and my ominous premonitions got stronger. Finally, I prepared myself for the worst when he was poisoned so he couldn’t stay with his family anymore.

It was a glorious ending and left me in tears and with goosebumps. Very well done, Daniel Craig!

Did this ever happen to any other James Bond?

Anyway, here are a few more (totally unsorted) thoughts I had while watching:

If there is a car chase (and there were at least two), you’d want to be with him in the car instead of being on the street minding your own business.

I sometimes felt a bit unprepared and wished I had watched Spectre again before, but all in all, I think it isn’t a must.

I don’t know how Madeleine made it through the Norwegian Woods in the shoes she later wore when they arrived on the island.

The island itself appeared a bit strange to me. Everything was somehow poisonous, yet the people working there seemed to be in some kind of meditative state. Raking sand (or poison?) in spirals and doing some mysterious business in an underground acid river.

I also got goosebumps at the beginning when he puts Madeleine on a train (because he thinks she has betrayed him). Then, the train starts to move, and she runs halfway through the train keeping her eyes on him on the platform until she finally can’t see him anymore.

All in all, I’ve enjoyed it very much. However, since this is coming from someone who typically isn’t into James Bond movies at all, I think if you like them in general, you’ll enjoy it, too. Or maybe it’s the contrary? Well, you better find out for yourself;).

17. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Just watched a 2021 movie called Birds of Paradise on Prime which is about two ballerinas who attend a prestigious ballet school in France and who compete for a contract to join the Opera national de Paris but there’s only one place open - and they can’t both get that. Essentially, if you enjoy watching dancing of high quality, you should tune in.

Hey. Just popping this comment over into the “movies” thread to let you know that I’ve seen it! I thought it was an enchanting movie and I liked how the fantasy world and the real world of historical warfare were merged together. I had no idea the movie would be in Spanish with English subtitles but it had lots of charm and imagination. And even I couldn’t prevent that little sob that escaped me at the end :(

I really want to see that one, considering it’s all the talk and rage at the moment and Daniel Craig’s final Bond movie. I wonder who’ll succeed him into that prestigious role. I guess because of the pandemic, I since haven’t been going to the movies, but since the world is going back to normal again (albeit gradually) that is definitely the movie I would be wanting to see, once we decide it’s OK to go back and do all these social things again.

love to read likes this.
  18. Chromewriter

Chromewriter Contributor Contributor

Ad astra is the best scifi movie I hadn't seen before.

I'll be honest, I'm not into space dramas like interstellar or star wars. I'll watch them, but I rarely fall in love with them. But something about Brad Pitts performance in Ad Astra just blew me away. The movie is a bit of a master class in writing a minimalistic script and the visuals were better for me than most other space sci fis. But Brad's performance was the most sympathetic I have become towards an astronaut.

The problem with realistic astronauts are they are the Mary Sue of characters. They sort of just do everything and unless they go absolutely bat shit insane, they tend to be depicted as being perfect. They make the right calls and they always end up being cool about sacrificing themselves (unless they go batshit insane). In Ad Astra the main character is a bit of a jerk and makes mistakes, especially when his dad is involved. It's just a refreshing nuanced portrayal.

19. Selbbin

Nobody was better than expected. I hate John Wick because he's so perfectly clinical the whole way, and uber 'cool', which is an absolute borefest, but with Nobody the same writer made it more balanced, with a subtle but interesting plot, simple backstory and great underlying motivation. The guy is aching to fight but is held back by *characterisation* (remember that? It's rare in movies today.). So it's a lot more fun when he finally does fuck people up, or tell them he's about to. Oooooh, here comes the pain.

Seven Crowns, Midlife Maniac and Xoic like this.
  20. Chromewriter

Really? I loved John wick 1 because they kept everything quite simple in terms of plot (he was dealing with grief and some assholes gave him an excuse to become the villain/murder man at the right timing). The cool factor I agree could be over done, but I enjoyed it. Plus the motivations are so ridiculous which matches the over the top tone of the movie.

Mr. Nobody however was kinda boring and I don't remember nearly any of it. Just that the main character kinda rambles on and on and he gets beats up a lot. It's also tries to have realistic elements (they try too hard to make the MC look ordinary and feel ordinary) in what is basically an over the top premise, which I don't think quite works for me.

21. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

But...Keanu Reeves in a dark suit on a feature-length killing spree?

22. QueenOfPlants

QueenOfPlants Definitely a hominid

That was the reason why I didn't like "Gravity". Because Sandra Bullock's character was NOT a realistic astronaut. She was a crybaby and I hated it. ^ ^

23. Selbbin

Nobody has it's issues, certainly, but I liked that the character
    tried a 'normal' life and was trying hard to maintain it, but it wasn't him. He was aching for a fight and finally relented, being his true self again. And he needed it.
    It was not just 'revenge'. The JW plot was simple, but also simplistic, which I felt made it super unsatisfying and dull. Yeah, nobody is forgettable after, but fun during. JW was just a chore.

24. OurJud

I posted on the same film a few weeks ago, with the exact opposite opinion. I luv Brad Pitt but thought it was a dreadful dreadful film.

25. Chromewriter

Fair enough, I can see how it'd polarise people. But I honestly think it was the best acting he's ever done in his career. Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about it?