Movies, Movies, Movies!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ILTBY, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Just when you think you've reached the very depth of bad movie-making after seeing Fast and Furious 6, you watch Nash Bridges.

2. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Curiously, in 2021 I watched more French-language films directed by Poles than French-language movies directed by Frenchmen. I think I have Solidarity to thank for that.

3. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

On the subject of French language films, I watched this one recently and it wasn’t too bad.

4. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Another dull night so I decided to see what Netflix had an offer. I settled on Don’t Look Up (because I like DiCaprio) and loved every second of it. Sometimes it doesn’t do to analyse a film too deeply, but even though the message of this one can hardly be missed, it didn’t stop the film snob critics pulling it to pieces. Ignore them and just enjoy the ride. It manages to take a scenario that could very well become a reality, and make it very funny. It’s also a damming indictment on modern society, particularly that of the US, that will make no difference to the real world whatsoever.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    Oscar Leigh and Set2Stun like this.
  5. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    Comrade! I made very similar sentiments on the preceding page! :D
    I thought it was a brilliant and scathing satire of both distracted society, and (most especially) the "manufacturing indifference" media.

OurJud likes this.
  6. OurJud

Ah, sorry. Missed that. Jennifer Lawrence’s character’s outburst was indeed a fist-pump moment, but DiCaprio’s, later in the film, is even better :D

Set2Stun likes this.
  7. OurJud

Found another film on Netflix tonight, and watched it sort of by accident. I really had no intention of watching a film but the blurb of one got my attention; Cargo, an Australian set apocalypse film starring Martin Freeman. I half-heartedly started and was sufficiently intrigued to stay with it till the end. It’s rather bleak and very anti-Hollywood, but a good watch all the same.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    Seven Crowns likes this.
  8. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I literally thought the movie was called Cargo Trailer :bigmeh:

OurJud likes this.
  9. OurJud

Imagine if it was? That would be awkward. ‘Cargo Trailer Trailer’

Xoic likes this.
  10. Vaughan Quincey

Vaughan Quincey Active Member

JG Ballard - Concrete Island
    Watermelon Man (1970)
    A trailer didn't came up, so this one is full of spoilers.
    Film is worth watching.

11. OurJud

Sully last night. Not the most taxing role Tom Hanks has ever had to play but it was okay, if a little lacking in life (pardon the irony).

12. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I saw Homeless To Harvard (2003) recently.

The appeal of this movie is that it’s based on true life events about a little girl from a very dysfunctional family who live in the bronx. All her childhood, she had to take care of her drug-addicted mother, then gets sent to a home because neither of her parents can take care of her properly and she often misses school. Afterward her mother dies of aids and isn’t given much of a funeral and no one else shows up for it beside the girl.

She gets a 'slap in the face' by her mother's death and begins her work to finish high school, which she amazingly completes in two years, rather than the usual four. She becomes a star student and earns a scholarship to Harvard through an essay contest sponsored by The New York Times.

But the best thing about this movie is that it is based on a true life events, so I recommend.

Xoic and Night Herald like this.
  13. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Watched Weird Science - the only John Hughes movie I missed watching in the 80s.
    I didn't care for it. Though it felt like his most ironic fourth-wall break movie ever. Kinda behaves like a metaphor for the writer getting chewed out by his own creations - ala daffy duck in Duck Amuck - and Hughes sends in the dream girl Lisa to behave as author/genie to give them everything they wished for. Maybe even addressing his critics at the same time as most of the adults get temporarily 'awakened' to teenage 'truths' and then memory blitzed when they can't handle it. He thinks he's doing Frankenstein, Valley-girl style but it's more I dream of Genie. Kelly Lebrock was hot, thebest thing in the movie. Most of the scenes had bad pacing, the comedy felt forced and it seemed a waste to keep Robert Downey jr as sidekick/baddie when he had more charisma than the leads.

Babes in Toyland 1961 - I think this was a Disney flop. Felt like it. They made the mistake of presenting it like a stage play rather than letting it simply exist in it's own dream world of musical fantasy like Mary Poppins. Annette was beautiful though and they ballad scene in the garden was adorable, the rest felt a bit desperate and long winded.

dbesim and Xoic like this.
  14. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I was six when it came out. It may have been the first movie I ever saw in a theater. I adored it, organized the other children in the neighborhood to act it out time after time after time. Several decades later, my own child was six and we visited a friend who had the movie. I was charmed at the idea of seeing it again, but it was so awful that I gave up watching fifteen minutes into the thing. My six year old self would've nominated it for Movie of the Century. My forty year old self realized that it flopped because parents were keeling over from boredom in theaters everywhere.

Vince Higgins and peachalulu like this.
  15. Vince Higgins

Vince Higgins Curmudgeon. Contributor

Caltrans-Detention Basins Design Guide
    I have vague memories of seeing it in a theater. I think I liked it, but I was six. What did I know? (I looked up the release date.)

16. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Six-year-olds are entitled to think their favorite movies are the greatest, and you have to admire Disney for knowing his demographic for the movie.

17. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Matrix Resurrections is good.

18. OurJud

Lethal Weapon 3. I have a real love/hate relationship with these films. Love... well I’m not really sure why, but the hate comes from the way Richard Donner handles dialogue. Nothing of any real importance or significance is ever said in his films. It’s all made up of mumbling banter and actors talking over each other. That and screaming saxophones, along with Danny Glover shouting “H-H-H-Hey, R-Rigs!!” every 10 minutes.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  19. OurJud

Just watched the trailer. That guy from the LotR films (played the dad of Liv Tyler’s character) doesn’t appear to have aged any. Have they used un-ageing effects on him?

20. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

They are a bunch of flashbacks in it so you may be confused by archival footage. But maybe you should watch the movie and find out!

21. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

That Cargo trailer reminds me of this long forgotten gem that, while it has tonnes of issues including a cheesy, melodramatic opening scene added at the last minute to give 'backstory', some of the other scenes and the story in general is praiseworthy. It's got some genuinely upsetting and powerful scenes. It's also based on a true story.

Savior.

22. Vince Higgins

Vince Higgins Curmudgeon. Contributor

Caltrans-Detention Basins Design Guide
    Worst movie I ever tried to watch. Barbarella. About ten minutes then I hit rewind and took it back. (1980something.)

23. Le Panda Du Mal

Le Panda Du Mal Contributor Contributor

It's... Barbarella. What were you expecting?

24. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

That might be one of the movies that needed to be watched when it came out to properly appreciate it. Planet of the Apes was released the same year but is timeless.

Just pretend that without Barbarella, Duran Duran would have used a lackluster name and never achieved rock stardom, so you can at least credit it for something.

Seven Crowns, Storysmith and Xoic like this.
  25. OurJud

Not unless it’s free somewhere. And maybe I don’t want to watch it. You’re not the boss of me.