Movies, Movies, Movies!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ILTBY, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Kind of where I was coming from. It was seven episodes that could have been a solid four if they had eliminated all the incomprehensible pontification.

2. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Faber est suae quisque fortunae Contributor

There is a new movie just being released which I definitely want to watch.

Its titled; 13 Lives

In June / July 2018 there was an international effort between military and civilian divers, as well as other agencies, to rescue the boys (Wild Boar football team) trapped behind rising flood water in the Tham Luang Nang Non cave in Thailand.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  3. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

"Bullet Train" with Brad Pitt was fantastic. Reminded me of a cross between "Nobody," "Kill Bill," and "Deadpool." Mostly, it reminded me of "Nobody." If you liked that movie then you'll probably like this one. It has elements of the other two mixed in it. It's all joyous violence with flashbacks that explain the assassins' motivations. The killers are all pretty cool.

Critics dropped the ball on it. I'm not sure why? The audience score (currently around 84% or so) is closer to the actual rating. I found the story with the black guy and the white guy killer duo strangely endearing. It built up nicely.

If there is a negative it's that Sandra Bullock (easily recognizable as the voice on the phone) has been botoxed far beyond the point of sanity. Dig up her corpse in the year 2122 and her face will still have a mannequin tautness. She doesn't show up much though, thank god.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  4. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

Has anybody else seen Prey? One of the best movies I’ve watched in a while. The proto-Weird Western setting was especially refreshing.

Steerpike and Set2Stun like this.
  5. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I’ve never been one for the ‘super hero’ films, but after thoroughly enjoying the Iron Man trilogy, and then the Spider-Man films (the Tom Holland versions), I thought I’d check out the Avengers films over the weekend. I’ve watched them in the wrong order so far - the second last night and the first, running now - but still an enjoyable way to pass a couple of hours in the evening. I’ll be watching the third tomorrow.

6. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Ms. Territory hasn't seen a Punisher movie, so we're going to watch the good one this week (Jane + Travolta).

Seven Crowns likes this.
  7. OurJud

Just finished Avengers: Endgame. Good job I started watching when I did otherwise bedtime would have been beckoning before the end. 2hrs 50mins - didn’t feel like it, though. Loved every minute.

8. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I didn't think it was a bad movie

OurJud likes this.
  9. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Just watched Prey. Good film.

10. OurJud

Is that to say you didn’t think it was great?

I wonder if I was able to enjoy it more because I don’t really know the lore and background of the Marvel characters? That said I did do an internal fist-pump when Tom Holland’s Spider-Man showed up at the end.

11. Le Panda Du Mal

Le Panda Du Mal Contributor Contributor

I find the Marvel movies generally dull, stupid, and an all around cultural plague. I was never big into Marvel comics but I can recognize that the comics had a soul which is utterly lacking in this Disney schlock.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  12. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

No it was an understated way of saying that it was an alright movie.

Ok thanks for telling us that the movies we kind of like are actually stupid, good to know. I'm not sure if I've seen this opinion expressed before.

I mean, if you don't feel like getting flattened by a fully loaded American pop-culture freight train every once in a while, if you don't ever want to get absolutely destroyed by the Disney commercial machine, if you don't sometimes want to experience the full extent to which the commodification of entertainment has been achieved in this country, then I guess I don't know what to tell you. But I do sometimes. Like, were they directed by Kieslowski? No. But they're kind of entertaining.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    Bone2pick likes this.
  13. Seven Crowns

Finished the book, Bullet Train. I think the movie may have been better. I liked the movie a lot and only liked the book a little. I didn't hate the book, it just droned on and on with dialog and that weakened it. It was a fair translation, not the worst I've seen.

Watched Retro Puppetmaster. (Puppetmaster VII) Zero stars! haha. It's got Greg Sestero though looking like a teenager. That's a plus. This movie was his big break while he was palling around with Tommy Wiseau. Anyway, Greg carries the movie with a French accent. I've read his autobiographical book on "The Room" so I know that he got the role in part because of the accent he could do. It was French, I guess. If you had to give it a name, that would be a reasonable choice. The bad guys were clearly ripped off from Dark City. They even did the "Sleep!" trick. Dark City is a much better movie.

I watched the Rifftrax version, so there was much hilarity. Those guys were really on point with the jokes.

"Wherefore art thou, Retro Puppetmaster?"

Bone2pick likes this.
  14. OurJud

Ah! Anyway I discovered last night while browsing that there’s actually four Avengers films! I watched the second first, then the first, then (unknowingly) the fourth. No wonder I was confused by the opening events in the fourth. It was because I thought it was the third, when in fact I’d skipped the third because I didn’t know it existed and went straight to the fourth thinking it was the third. Anyway from the hour or so I watched it feels like the weakest anyway. Doesn’t feel like a proper Avengers film because there’s too much Guardians of the Galaxy stuff. One minute I watching Iron Man and Spider-Man trying to stop a rocket reaching some portal, and then they get completely forgotten for the next 40 minutes or so. In fact I turned off before it got back to them. Too many characters.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  15. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

They're rubbish. I like comic book movies, but the MCU films are soooo poorly written, with idiotically shit plots with unlikeable characters doing implausible things with far too much obvious CGI 'action' and so called 'humour'. They're nothing more than loud noises and flashing lights. Oh I hate them so much. I want more comic book films like Dredd, The Rocketeer, Kickass, Shazam!, The Crow, Hellboy, Deadpool, Joker, The Batman, even Tank Girl, despite all their flaws. I kind of enjoyed the first Guardians of the Galaxy and was amused by Antman because they were moderately fun, but that's all, folks. The Avengers movies were boooooorrrrrrrriiiiiiinnnngggggggg!!!

Seven Crowns likes this.
  16. Kenneth McCabe

Kenneth McCabe Active Member

The sequel wasn't all that great. Trying too hard to measure up to the original. Sequels always have a rough row to hoe as they have to be as familiar as the original yet have enough surprises to truly entertain.

17. Kenneth McCabe

Kenneth McCabe Active Member

I LOVED Rocketeer! But I actually think some of the early Marvel movies were pretty good. Now they're trying to do too much crossover between films just like they did with their comics. I thought the first Guardians movie was as fun as the first Star Wars.

18. Seven Crowns

Yeah, superhero movies have run their course. I wish they'd close up shop.

If i had to choose my favorites from the genre, I'd say: Scott Pilgrim, Ghost World (does that count?), Watchmen. Maybe Joker and Suicide Squad (with Idris Elba). Hmmm . . . those are all lower budgets, excluding Watchmen. Maybe that's the key. Comics movies are so high stakes with budgets now that to guard the investment they're written by committee, and that's never a positive. They wind up adhering to formulas.

Yeah, that's the common denominator between my choices. They avoid the usual formula in some way, a little or a lot.

Storysmith and Set2Stun like this.
  19. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Uh... no.:p I do like that movie, there is a Batman mask, and it is from a comic book, but not a superhero comic. And come to think of it, it does co-star ScarJo. But long before she became Black Widow.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  20. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Shazam was dogshit. They billed it as comedy, but every single joke in the movie appeared in the trailer.

21. Seven Crowns

What do you mean, there's no superhero? Steve Buscemi's in it. haha

Nah, you're right though.

Xoic likes this.
  22. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Anyway, probably gonna queue up The Deer Hunter and The Color of Money this weekend. They've been running through my mind lately.

Seven Crowns and Bone2pick like this.
  23. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Now I can't stop picturing what the Deer Hunter would look like if it starred Tom Cruise.

24. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I like Prey a lot. Watched the Comanche dub.

Watched the Finnish movie Hatching last night. Also quite liked that one, though it’s a bit disgusting in places.

dbesim and X Equestris like this.
  25. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Spirited Away - it’s a popular anime but I’ve only recently tuned into it. Translated into English but I preferred seeing it in Japanese with subtitles. It’s about a family that get lost and end up in a desolate city where the little girl’s parents are turned into pigs and she has to do something (not saying what) to make sure she isn’t turned into an animal by the witch who rules the desolate city. Then the end part suggests... ah, not giving away any more.