1. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Multiple Characters=Multiple Personalities

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by aimi_aiko, Apr 11, 2011.

I wasn't quite sure where to post this exactly. Though since it relates to writing, I thought I'd just post it here.

Do any of you feel like (from being a writer) that you develop some of your character's habits and you begin acting like them? While, of course, not realizing you're doing so? I have done this many times and I was just wondering if any of you had done so as well?

2. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I can honestly say that it hasn't happened-yet. :p But I'm quite happy about that because both of my latest MC has some serious issues, hihi. :)

3. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

It's less that I take bits from their personality, but rather I see positive traits in my characters that make me think, "If I acted a little more like this towards frends/family it would make my life x10 easier." And, sure enough, most of the time it works. The same thing happens when I read a book by someone else too.

The only time anyone has complained is with my current novel: apparently writing a pseudo-innocent character and having a desperate real-world boyfriend don't mix. Oh well. Not my problem. :D

4. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Not really... but most of my characters are really bizarre. I'd be arrested if I acted like them.

5. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

I haven't actually acted like one of my characters, but I've felt the impulse to do so. Probably because they contain parts of me from the start.

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

not really but my characters tend to be so far removed from my life and demographic.

7. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

Couldn't it just be the other way around, that some of the characters' behaviors are unconsciously based on your own behaviors?

8. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Actually, yes. I create my characters based upon some of my personality traits.

9. Tesgah

Tesgah Member

This.

Pretty much all of my characters share some of my traits, so I do from time to time stop and think "Wow, character X in my story would've done the exact same thing. Cool." =)

10. Rowley

Rowley New Member

I've acted like my characters on occasion, although it's more just impulsive little actions than anything else. But then again, all the characters I made likely have a bit of my personality mixed with their own, so it's not like I'm going insane, right?

Right?

11. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Right.:D

12. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Shh just don't tell your characters they are part of you. Mine really don't like it lol

13. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Haha!