1. Aldarion

Aldarion Active Member

Municipal government

Discussion in 'Research' started by Aldarion, Jul 18, 2020.

So my Empire is a mix of Roman Empire, Holy Roman Empire and Byzantine Empire, albeit predominantly based on the last one. Idea is that central government takes care of defence and international stuff, but each city governs its own internal matters as it wills, as long as taxes are paid.

However, only thing I found about Byzantine municipal government is doukation of Antioch - but nothing about city itself. So what are different forms and extent of authority of municipal governments in:
    a) medieval to 15th century government (England, Holy Roman Empire)
    b) Middle Byzantine Empire
    c) Russia during existence of pomestie system (so 1478 onward)

2. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Well, I know that cities in Medieval Europe were often given charters that increased their autonomy. So the burghers and merchants and bankers would have had the great power. I can imagine that a military governor in your world would make sense as well.

Aldarion likes this.
  3. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

How does the central government "take care of defense"? On what level? Does it maintain the city watch, only regional armies or does it only maintain raised armies during a war?

4. Aldarion

Aldarion Active Member

Byzantine thematic system, essentially. Empire is divided into provices, and governor of each province is also commander of army of that province - or, rather, each field army is assigned an area it defends and commander of field army is also overall governor of that province. Civilian administration as such is still separate, but subject to military authority. Soldiers of the field army of province are given lands within that province, and draw most of their income from said lands though they still receive a portion of income in form of wages from central government - I am undecided on whether it will be a permanent wage or merely a campaign pay.

Each city would have its own city watch - that is not responsibility of the government - but question is whether said city watch would be merely police force or would be allowed to grow into militia.