Murderer in Northumberland

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lemex, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nonnie

Nonnie New Member

Farmville, VA. Yep, it's not just your least favor
    I can believe it.

The psycho in our town got a lot of love and sympathy from his family and friends, even though he's about as sick as a person can get. His sister was especially angry about the charges against him, and as a sister, I can understand. Even if my brother were some kind of horrible murderer, I'd still want to protect him like she did, so that was very sad, especially since he's so blatantly happy with himself.

I don't know what this says about me but for some reason the fact that I lived by a psychotic rapist murderer for the few weeks he was here doesn't make me feel any less safe, and I don't feel anymore safe now that he's chillin' in our jail and getting his trial on. Maybe it's because I'm paranoid and aren't suprised by anything tragic, but I'm possibly a moron with chronic indifference that will probably die at the hands of said disease.

So, I guess I'm saying that I do feel pretty bad for the families of these sort of people, I feel bad they had to live with such a person for as long as they did, and I feel sorry for the ones who are really sad to be without them.

It's all just very. . . sad.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'll reserve my compassion for his victims.

You may call him a product of his upbringing and his environment, but more than that, he is the product of his choices.

In the end, he took the coward's way out. I would have preferred he stand trial and be forced to live out his days regretting his actions, even though it leaves open the possibility he could someday either escape or (worse) be released by addlepated officials.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

What, with all the sick groups on facebook supporting Moat, and the number of people the Police are pulling in on suspicion of assisting him, I'm wondering if I've missed something here. Are disturbed murderers good guys now?

4. Nonnie

Nonnie New Member

Farmville, VA. Yep, it's not just your least favor
    Gah! I was on facebook a few days ago, and on the suggested friends was the guy who killed these people down the street from me, and I was like, "Yes, thank you, facebook, you're a genius." and there are people I know friending him. And there are these pictures of him in his little orange jumpsuit all smiley and happy with himself and friends of his commenting "Oh, get out of there safe sammy! :love:333" and ****.

Most ridiculous thing I have seen in awhile. Facebook is evil.

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Nah, all technology is neutral. It's the people who use it who are either good or evil.

6. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I think it's because he allegedly asked time and time again for psychiatric help, and he was denied it.
    I have to say, I don't know how they could've let a man that large, with a history of violence and his children under debate about custody, go without some sort of help. However, he recorded these meetings with them, which suggests to me that he was already planning his "vendetta" and wanted to use this against the police/social services if anything occured. Which it did, unfortunately.

I do feel sorry for him to a degree, because he was clearly out of his mind. He claimed he shot his girlfriend because she'd get thousands of pounds in compensation for her and their children....come on, that's a twisted mindset beyond that of just a murderer. He was sick.

But calling him a "legend", being part of the 35k+ people supporting him on facebook, and thinking that despite being ill he was anything less than a murderer? No. He was still self-aware, he knew what he was doing. I'm just sorry he had to meet such a gruesome end and didn't get life imprisonment and the shame he deserved.

That's not true from what I saw on the news. His uncle and brother were begging the police to let them talk him down, which they didn't. (Why the heck not?) and his brother said he was positive Moat would've listened to him. He just needed to see someone that still loved him, as opposed to being surrounded by armed police.
    They've been saying they love him, and that they wish people realised how sick he was to do these things.

They did say, however, that what he did was unforgivably evil. Different memebers of the family were probably experiencing very mixed emotions.

Oh, and they published various parts of his letter, and it said "the public need not fear me" because he was only after the police. Now, I know they've got absolutely no obligation to trust that claim, but I'm confused as to why the police were broadcasting that they thought he was going to start shooting at random pedestrians? They should've let a member of the family talk him down. I'm sure it could've saved his life so he could be punished properly. Instead he got the (tragic, horrible) coward's way out.

7. Tamsin

Tamsin New Member

The facebook thing...

The pages of 'support' have actually been joined by people who are not in support of Moat, and have hijacked the pages with messages that show support for the victims and not support for Moat at all, as a kind of protest against turning him into a hero.

It is yet another tragic case of someone unleashing their own inadequacies and hatred on innocent people.

8. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I guess that makes more sense. Once it was brought to the news and the PM spoke about it though, the person who started the page deleted it (apparently). Facebook refused to, which frankly I agree with - both on the grounds of free speech, but also because he provided an interesting outlook on the way it affected the public.

9. Fantasy of You

Fantasy of You Banned

A guy is selling T-shirts of this guy on ebay. What a sicko. He said to a reporter, "If Moat can make a killing, so can I."

What sad person would buy one?

10. Godfather

Godfather New Member

I hope they cap his ass!

11. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Either this is satirical or just ignorant.

Either way, the man died. So you got your wish, for what it's worth.

12. Donal

Donal New Member

There are plenty of people with an equally if not more tragic background who do not kill people. My only real sympathy goes to the victims and their families. I don't care if Raoul Moat that died nor would I care if he had lived. I just wanted him to stop killing.

13. Talako

Talako Member

I think I read too much. I saw the thread title "Murderer in Northumberland" and immediately thought of Uthtred and his problem.

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This thread has run its course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.