1. AoA

AoA Member

Music people listen to when writing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AoA, Nov 11, 2014.

So, I know many people, myself included, listen to music while they write. I've personally been listening to three bands primarily in the last month when writing: Dream Theater, Symphony X, and amnaeon. If you don't know any of those bands, they're all "progressive metal" bands. I still don't agree with the progressive tag for some of their work (more with Symphony X).
    But coming back to my question; what do you people listen to when writing? I know my elder brother used to listen to electronic music when drawing for example.

Blasting Dream Theater's Octavarium album at the time of posting this thread :D

James Random likes this.
  2. Joe King

Joe King Member

I cannot write when listening to music. I find it off putting and end up getting distracted paying more attention to the song than I do the actual writing. However, when listening to guys like Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, Eminem, numerous other musicians I can become inspired to start writing.

3. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

Melodic death metal.

AoA likes this.
  4. James Random

James Random Member

Whatever sets the mood of whatever I'm writing.

VMLawrence5 likes this.
  5. AoA

AoA Member

Yay for melodic death metal! Still love me some In Flames or Arch Enemy (the OLD Arch Enemy, not their recent stuff really). Death metal is my limit in extreme metal though, not into anything more extreme than that. I'm actually into Nile (the technical death metal band) at the moment. Used to find them really offensive actually. Not anymore though.
    Love your name by the way.

6. tokyotenshi

tokyotenshi New Member

I don't always listen to music when I'm writing something but when I do, it's usually hard rock, nu metal, punk rock kind of music, like Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, Limp Bizkit, Three Days Grace, etc. Or maybe German music like Rammstein, Eisbrecher, Megaherz etc.

7. Joshua Wilder

Joshua Wilder New Member

Depends on what mood I'm in if I'm honest, I usually stick to Nightcore songs or Bring Me The Horizon, Iron Maiden. A band that crops up more often than not on my playlist is Pink Floyd which is brilliant to write to, especially if your listening to the whole of The Wall album.

8. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I used to listen to Apocalyptica back in the day while writing.
    Still love 'em to pieces but now I prefer white-noise or silence.

One of my favorite serial authors, Lynn Flewling, thanked Apocalyptica for their music in her book :3

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I don't usually listen to music while writing. If there are lyrics, it's distracting - I'm listening to someone else's words while trying to think of my own, and that never works.

I like the instrumental passages in Pink Floyd's music, especially "Shine On You Crazy Diamond." A few of those old Wyndham Hill albums used to work, too, but I don't have them any more. Some classical music works, especially classical guitar. It's unobtrusive.

10. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Anything, mostly hard rock gets my blood pumping. I can't listen to songs when I'm editing and need more concentration, but when getting the initial ideas down I type to anything.

11. AoA

AoA Member

Surprisingly enough the lyrics don't interfere with my writing. Then again, I just get so into my stories when writing I can go into a near unresponive state while working on a story. I just loose myself in the writing and it's really hard to shake me from my writing. Normally at that point the music is pretty much background noise. But it just amounts to habit at this point.

12. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

I often don't listen to music while writing. And when I do have music on while I'm writing, I often tune out. I'm not really listening to the music I have on. I'm too focused on my writing.

13. Gawler

Gawler Senior Member

Australia via Hawaii via Australia via England
    For the most part I listen to stuff without lyrics such as Tangerine Dream, Kraftwork or Emerson Lake and Palmer with Oh Fortuna thrown in from time to time. When I occasionally depart from that, it tends to be more mellow stuff such as Cat Stevens or Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

14. Annihilation

Annihilation Active Member

Man, dream theater is real music. I personally like their metropolis album.
    Progressive metal is all I've been listening to for the past two years. Mastodon, system of a down.

But if you really want to get into the mood, feel enlightened, tool is the best. I listen to it when I write all the time.

15. J Faceless

J Faceless Active Member

The same song over and over and over. Really get into that crazy creative side.:D

16. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

Listening to Damage Done by Dark Tranquility while I work on my novella. Then I'm gonna start listening to Linkin Park to get back into that depressed eighth grade nervous wreck mood. I need it for a short story I'm writing.

17. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Same here. I tend to go with songs that either musically or lyrically remind me of what I'm trying to do.

18. James Random

James Random Member

I usually pick something by Chopin. Failing that Bear McCreary!

19. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

If I had to pick a specific artist, Bon Iver usually does the trick for me. Relaxing and unobtrusive enough that it can fade to background noise, yet beautiful and serene enough that it puts me in the proper mindset.

James Random likes this.