Music to Write To

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Leaka, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

THE NEW METALLICA ALBUM DOESN'T SUCK! HALLELUJAH! :D :D :D

*ahem*

Sorry, had to be said :p

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Writing music for me must be sans lyrics or in a foreign language I cannot pronounce.

I'm really into Bollywood music lately.

3. RageAgainstClass

RageAgainstClass New Member

Oh god, yes it does. At least Hetfield, the singer, and everything he had to do with it does.

Megadeth is nowhere NEAR trucker rock. The guitarist in Megadeth used to play for Metallica, and he's TEN TIMES BETTER than Kirk Hammet, the current one. Megadeth sounds a lot like Metallica, but better. At least, their new songs are better than Metallica's good songs.

4. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Yes! Me too. Lyrics I can understand puts me to sleep.

5. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I think that their newest albums sucks.
    I think anything that they have made in the 2000's sucks.
    They are trying to live a dream that has left them.

Still no one has answered my very first question before the music question.

Oh and I like this song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PWX3bY97Ps&feature=channel

6. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

I can't concentrate with lyrics either, and I'm not really into trance or techno so Classical and Orchestral music are my thing since I started reading with my MP3 player on.

7. Banzai

I disagree. Everything after the Black Album sucked (even the Black Album itself was a step down after Master of Puppets and Kill em all) but Death Magnetic is alright. Not wonderful, and not back up to Black Album standard. But it bucks the trend of gradually worsening releases.

8. Banzai

Actually, I've just remembered. I have a compilation of Metallica songs recored by some German orchestra. That's good to listen to while writing :)

9. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

The live Orchestra they did in SF years ago (which was released not long after) was frigging brilliant, as much as i dislike how they have falling from grace after all these years, that, was pure bliss. I listen to it often.

I tried listening to DM a few more times, but think im just ganna trade it in, its just too try hard, and if you've seen all their talk and crap, thats all it feels like. They should have cut there track tme down, it just doesnt do it anymore (somewhat feel the same for tools ladt alb). Doesnt mean its bad, just overcooked.

I think using the term "Suck/s" against something is bad itself, doesnt do justice why its so.

Buying AC/DC's black ice tomorrow. I know i'll hate it, but hey, its a cheap buy and will be fun to listen to in the car.

Myself, im a sucker (sorry) for passion, and i find this in Metal (any sort).

BUT, i spent about 5 hours driving listen ing to Enya recently. Shes seriously an Angel. And only time has to be the best sound in the world, for when your in need for such a thing...

10. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I don't like Ac/Dc either.
    The problem with listening to metal is I get to hyped up, and then all my scenes reflect my hyper mood.

11. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I thought I answered the first question. *confused*

For good music with lyrics that are unintelligible, try out Adiemus--the words are all made up.

Also Lesiem--some English lyrics, but most are in Latin. Also Era. Vaguely similar to Enigma.

12. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

When I right and listen to music, it enhances the quality and speed with which I write and I hear the music but, as confusing as this may sound, I don't actually "hear" the music. Its like I can tell its their and I enjoy it, but it doesn't distract me at all.

None of these bands are techno or classical and they all contain vocals, but I listen to both Coheed & Cambria, which is progressive rock, and Tool when I write. Coheed & Cambria's CD's are concept albums (they have a sci-fi story interwoven into the songs and each album tells a part of the story) and they help a lot. Tool is progressive metal, but they rely a lot on instrumental parts and they are great. I use Coheed for the action parts and Tool for everything else.

If you can tolerate industrial (if you don't know what it is, its like a mix between electronic and hard rock), than you might like the new Nine Inch Nails instrumental album "Ghosts". If you go to their website or just type in "Nine Inch Nails Ghosts" on google, you'll find the site and you can dowload nine tracks of the album for free. Hope this helps!

13. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I already know Nine Inch Nails is good. I listen to them for my grotesque scenes. Don't know why, even their most "encouraging" make me think of nasty things.
    Its their actual music not the lyrics.

My initial question is for those who depend on music:
    Is anyone else like this?
    That it has to be a different song or you can't come up with a different idea.

I guess I could rephrase it as:
    For those who depend on music, does the music you listen to have to be different for you because you cannot get the same muse out of the same music over and over again?

14. Farseer

Farseer New Member

It does tend to lose its effect, yes. At first, my mind gets caught up in the new music, and ideas spring forth from that as I try to understand it. But soon, I memorize the song and am able to listen to it - imperfectly, far inferior to actually listening, but I can hear it - in my head. At that point, the ideas slow to a trickle, often before I'm able to shape them and write them/

15. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Check out work by Christophe Beck - composer of music for a bunch of TV shows and movies, including personal fave, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. A CD was released not too long ago containing some of his more popular compositions from that show, here's an example of what to expect: Sacrifice

16. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Doesn't put me to sleep. Just distracting. I'm a Singer. I'm the guy, when you come to the red light, is singing at the top of his lungs in the car and you couldn't pay me to care if people are watching.

Yeah, that's me. :D

17. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I'm looking for Christopher Beck to hear some of his music.

18. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Another good composer to listen to while writing is Yiruma:

River Flows in You

Kiss the rain

19. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I'll check it out Marina.
    Thanks.

Yoko Kanno is good to listen to.

As well as Haishima.

20. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    Michael hedges mostly.

21. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I'll check Micheal Hedgers as well.

22. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who uses this style of music as a muse. :)

I personally don't mind lyrics as much, but it really depends on my mood. Sometimes lyrics help me get into the mood and sometimes not. So I have a large collection of music to accommodate both moods. ;)

Some of what I'd recommend has already been listed but this is what I listen to:

Lyrics- Blackmore's Night (folk celtic); Conjure One (electronic ambient); Enigma (electronic trance); Enya (new age celtic); Epica (symphonic metal); Nightwish (symphonic metal); Within Temptation (symphonic metal)

No lyrics- Apocalyptica (neoclassical metal); E.S. Posthumus (neoclassical)

I also enjoy a lot of OSTs of games, movies, and TV shows. I think my favorites in these cases are: anything by Nobuo Uematsu; Lord of the Rings; traditional Japanese music such as OST from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Last Samurai, Hero, Memoirs of a Geisha, etc.; and almost anything by Yoko Kanno.

I also listen to a ton of traditional celtic music. Mostly things I pick up from Target or get from friends.

I hope this helps! :)

23. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Thanks Annu.
    I went and checked them out.
    It was neat...not my style.

24. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

You can check out a lot of his work here

Just a minor note, in case you want to look for more, it's worth mentioning that there is no 'r' at the end of his name, it's just 'Christophe'. Otherwise you might end up looking for the wrong guy. :p

25. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Thank you Gone Wishing, I hadn't realized I put the r at the end of the name.
    OOops.
    I'll check the link out.