1. hnamartin

hnamartin New Member

Rules about submitting to literary magazines

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by hnamartin, May 10, 2011.

Generally, what are the rules about submitting the same work to multiple publications (lit magazines)? Is there some rule against this?

Feedback much appreciated!
    Also, if anyone knows of any good queer literary magazines let me know.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

There should be a rule about simultaneous submissions in the guidelines of each magazine. If a rule isn't stated, then I would assume that simultaneous submissions are allowed.

3. ramedrake

ramedrake Member

Most magazine's specify their requirements/restrictions on their webpage. Here are some links to multiple markets.

http://www.duotrope.com/

SF/F/Horror:
    http://www.storypilot.com/

4. hnamartin

hnamartin New Member

Thanks! Does announcing that I am going to be doing simultaneous submissions make publishing my work less desirable in some way?

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Not if they allow it. If they don't, then it'll probably be an instant rejection for failing to read their guidelines.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!

just read each venue's guidelines...

7. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

It's a tricky issue. More and more journals are simply allowing simultaneous submissions officially, because everyone was just doing it anyway. The bad thing was that since they were doing something 'wrong' they'd be less inclined to keep open clear communication about it. But, if they just allow it, they'll at least not spend time or resources reading/approving/contacting about a piece that is off the market.

Whether to submit simultaneous submissions when it's against a publications rules is a personal decision. I've been told directly by several authors who are very successfully published short story writers (one an editor of a decent journal), that it's the sort of thing where you simply have to do it to compete. Everything moves so slow, that to submit a story one at a time would take forever to get a decent body of work built up.

I'm not saying break the rules, I'm just saying there's are a reason many publications are just switching over to allowing simultaneous submissions and even editors are advising you simply have to do it to stay competitive. Doesn't make it right, of course, and it's a judgment call the writer has to make for themselves, of course.

If you do it, though, communicate! Don't incriminate yourself, but do inform them vaguely that you've had a change of heart and have decided you want to pursue a different direction blah blah. They'll know, but they'll at least also know you aren't an ahole who just doesn't say anything, aren't an idiot who self-incriminates and aren't doing anything that 'everyone' else isn't doing trying to stay competitive.