My character is me!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Phruizler, Jun 13, 2011.

1. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I disagree, and for all the reasons that those who oppose doing it have mentioned. What it boils down to is that basing a character on yourself requires a great deal of introspection and self-honesty. OTOH, if you're going to be a writer (I mean a good one), then you are going to need to develop the knack for understanding and appreciating people's characters, the warts as well as the perfections. Being able to do that with yourself is a good way to start. And, based on the OP's comments, it sounds as if he may have this nailed.

The only thing that is easier about basing a character on oneself is that one doesn't need to design the framework - the basics are there. Those are probably the easiest aspects of a character to develop.

2. Protar

Protar Active Member

Well maybe I just see it the way I do because I already have a lot of self-honesty so it wouldn't be as much as a hurdle for me. I acknowledge my good and bad traits already. But I guess for others it's more difficult.

3. Phruizler

Phruizler New Member

Okay, I should clear a few things up:

First, in many ways, the character is significantly different from me. Where he is very similar to me, though, is in his thought processes and his views on the world (political, individual, what have you). Since a lot of this is what is highlighted in the passages where the MC is alone, this is where I was worried. However, that being said, there is plenty that he does and takes part in that has nothing to do with me.

Also, I'm not at all worried about this character turning into a Mary Sue. I'm not a Mary Sue, and if he turned into one, he wouldn't be me, would he? Although, since the overwhelming consensus in the 'against' camp says it's so common for these author-based characters to become egotistical glorified versions of their writers, I will definitely be even more keen on avoiding this.

Lastly, regarding thoughts that it comes across as lazy and it's not appreciated by readers: I'm not exactly sure that readers are going to be aware that it's me, since most of them won't know me. Even if they do know me, I'm not so sure they'll know it's me, since as I said my interactions with others are so distinct from my personal life. I suppose it could be considered lazy, if you create characters using some sort of template where I can just fill in the blanks with info I already know. But that's not how I develop or create my characters; they simply grow into their roles as the story unfolds, and I don't think it's any less difficult for a character based on a real person. If anything, I think it will be more difficult because I've already spent 20+ years developing this character before writing about him -- a lot to sift through to make sure I'm doing a good job!

All of that said, thanks again everyone for all the input. Since enough people seem opposed, I'm thinking I will try and have him come into his own sooner rather than later in the story.

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

The trap here, and it may have been mentioned earlier, is that the MC becomes a mouthpiece through which you give voice to your opinions. I think this is what readers might resent, even if they have no sense that the MC is you. Having it come out in passages where he is alone makes you particularly prone to this. My advice would be to minimize as much as possible his expression of your opinions, and try to have those come out by way of his actions.

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

The only real issue is whether the character and the story are interesting and engaging to the reader. Whether you base the character on your or the guy next door is secondary. As some have noted, the reason to caution against basing the character on you is that people often don't seem themselves objectively, and the more an author is using a character as a vehicle for his own wish fulfillment, the more the author might avoid having bad things happen to the character. Even though you are a real person with all of the flaws and contradictions that go with it, if your MC is your projection of yourself, the flaws may be downplayed or disappear altogether, while the positive traits are accentuated.

If you can avoid the pitfalls and still create a real, solid character, then there's no problem, and in fact I doubt the reader will be aware that the MC is based on you unless you tell them.

6. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

This is just a personal preference, but I find it's easier to develop the character when they are *not* like me. Of course, their personalities and motives and such are likely to be the same. But when the age range/gender/occupation/setting/etc are similar, it actually becomes harder to not automatically make them flat and bland. I think this is because I have to work harder to get in their mindset and actually think about it.

7. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Quite a few of my characters have one or two traits of mine in them. I don't try, but it happens. I think a lot of authors like living through their characters, but you can't make them too much like you.

8. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

It's probably not unreasonable for a trait or two to be evident in characters. We only have one brain to invent with after all.

9. afrodite7

afrodite7 New Member

i wouldn't say basing a character off you is a good idea.it becomes obvious and drives readers up the wall.what i will say is have characters that share something in common with you,like different facets of your personality,but are still their own person.also,try to be unbiased and show many different views of things,let the character 'live'. for example,a guy can have your bad temper but at the same time has his own views on things.i suggest building the character's backstory.

10. Diphenhydramine

Diphenhydramine New Member

I think this is absolutely fine. There have been a great many fantastic and successful authors who have based their characters off themselves. The point is that you don't want your readers to think "this person could never exist in real life" because after that point there is a mental barrier between the reader and your character; they will be less likely to feel some kind of connection toward them. The best way to make a character realistic is to base it off someone you know, and you know yourself more so than anyone else ...

... just make sure it's appropriate and not exaggerated. Don't be ridiculous and don't make it too obvious. Of course it's by no means a necessity - I don't mean to claim that - but there's nothing wrong with doing it.

11. Gothic Vampire Queen

Gothic Vampire Queen New Member

So, did I help any?

12. Word Dancer

Word Dancer New Member

A lot of writers have characters who have their world view.
    If what your are writing has a message of some sort you should be careful not to preach too much, or at least not be too obvious about it. And perhaps have another character who can intelligently voice an opposing view.