My Country

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by becca, Mar 25, 2009.

1. sophie.

sophie. New Member

*shakes back*

this sounds crap but since I saw Slumdog Millionare I was like 'I need to travel more!!'..:p and my aunts going there soon, and nepal too..bullyfor her lol

2. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

I'm a freak-but haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire yet...sigh..gotta see it..even though at times it irritates me,(like when part of this Bhojpuri movie was shot at out school)..I still love Indian Cinema-and songs.

3. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

I live in Venezuela, but I travel a lot. Only remarkable thing that I can think of is that I live right next to the amazon rainforest. It's a great place to take pictures. I've been to the US and I like it for the most part, not bad. By far the best place to buy stuff that I've ever been at. Haven't been to England or India, though, just some scattered parts of Europe.

4. Neha

oohh...next to the Amazon?? have you even seen an anaconda?? well probably not, but doesn't hurt asking that.

5. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Yes. They're cool. It was at a zoo, though, haha.

6. sophie.

sophie. New Member

I'd like to go to the Amazon...if it isn't all cut down by the time I can...
    And go to back to Australia, Singapore and bits of Europe.
    And I'd love to see India, China and Africa - specifically Botswana :)

Neha - part of a film was shot ar your school - wow!
    Lol my school is ugly and falling down so no one would bother :p

7. Neha

lol, are they rweally rweally big??The largest snakes I've seen are pythons.

Edit:-Sophie-yup, actually another movie(whole of it)-Koi mil gaya-would've been shot too, only Ma'am did not give persmission for it..lol

8. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

The 'cutting down' thing is really overplayed... The thing is BIG. I mean BIG. You could get lost in it for days not find a clear patch.

Neha: Yeah it was pretty big. Like, if I made a circle with my thumb and middle finger with both of my hands, it wouldn't be large enough to fit the snake.

9. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

My family emigrated from England and France to Nova Scotia, Canada. From there, my grandmother moved to Boston, Massachusetts and became a US citizen. Some day I want visit my roots in France and England as well as the Morris clan in Nova Scotia.

As far governments, I think the US form of democracy is terrible. It is basically a dictatorship by 51 percent. Whichever political party is in power simply "rules" the country without concern for the 49% who don't agree with their values. The parlimentary system is much more democratic and representative.

10. Neha

^^NaCl..I agree...that's why even though our President has emergency powers and stuff, he's under obligation by the Constitution to act only on the advice of the PM and the Council of ministers.

11. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

So I live in the US also
    personally I love it here, there are alot of things that are wonderful, but there is some stuff that does suck...
    I'm not sure if I'm right, but to most of us americans we think that alot of the rest of the world hates us, is that true? Curious :)

I really want to travel the world though....especially Europe and Egypt :D the history there absolutely facinates me

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i was born in the us, raised there, had my 7 kids and raised them there, have travelled all over 46 of the 50 states and lived in many parts of the country... but i have also travelled through and lived in many other parts of the world, so do not consider myself simply an 'american'... more like a 'citizen of the universe' since i'd be just as likely to roam other worlds, if given the chance...

13. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I was born in the U.S., as were my parents.... my grandparents were born in Puerto Rico. A great grandfather of mine was from France. I have family from a few other different countries, though.

14. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

One of the biggest misconceptions for at least a few ignorant non-Americans that I see is the idea that we're all grossly obese. Though I would say that the American motto, at least in the midwest, tends to be 'fat and proud,' I promise you... A lot of foreign students come to my school (Switzerland, Germany, Australia, Argentina, Mexico, China, Japan, Russia and on) and whenever I speak with them (I sometimes help out in the language lab) one of the first things they said when I ask them how they've adjusted is "I was so surprised that you dont have McDonald's at every corner and that not everyone is fat!" :p

One of my questions pertains to Britain / Japan and other countries that I've forgotten and / or dont know about is: Why do you still have a royal family if its members make virtually none of the decisions regarding the country? Respecting and honouring someone who just happened to be 'born lucky' seems silly to me.
    Is it just tradition? I'm curious; enlighten me? :)

15. Neha

LOL Mercurial...seen the Pyramids..of Cairo at least...they didn't let us go inside..:(, came off as a disappointment.

Even though the Crown is not privy to major decisions in Britain, they're worshipped there..the British love them...and House of the Lords IS a good part of their Parliament...:p

Anyways, we still have the 'Rajas and Maharajas' too, esp. Rajput...only their private purses aren't supported bu the State.

And we can't think anything about the Americans lol...it's usually the other way round, them thinking we're too loud(we are)..lol

16. Aeroflot

Aeroflot New Member

The monarchy helps a lot with bringing in tourism

17. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

Regarding America and obesity, I think it's completely out of control; I think that "conception" is hardly a false one.0ur rates are way higher than other countries...I think it's embarrassing. -_-

18. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I usually describe my country as such (at least in political terms... :p)

Australia - kinda like the over-eager Scrappy to the rest of the world's Scooby.

*sigh*

19. apathykills

apathykills New Member

I live in Israel. There are a lot of misconceptions and the biggest one would have to be that this country is a desert.

Really really not the case; there are five geographical areas to Israel. On the top there is the Golan and the Galil, both are very beautiful and green. The coast area is where i live (on the very top) and it has many cities on it and the beach. The south area is the Negev that really is a desert, but it's mostly a rock desert and it has a lot of beautiful sites to sea. The last part is the center, it's in the center and again, lots of non desert in there to.

So now you know :)

Hey i have a question for the British, what is a Morris dance?

20. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

Israel is gorgeous! I loved going there, have been there twice. There were lots of tree, and green plants. :) Hey they have figs trees and aolive trees. THE OLIVE TREES I SAW WERE HUGE! Not tall, just really big around. Supposedly dating back hundreds or thousands of years. The old market in Jerusalem was alittle scary. OH! The second time I was there some guy tried to buy me for 30 camels? Is that a good price?

This is hard to explain to a non-American. You think it is nationalism, it's actually about freedom. How we have forged our own way, and made a free country. Away from the establishmentism of other countries. As in the Independence Day, England, and their injustuce of the taxes that they tried to put on the settlers. Who knows, if your past monarchy hadn't been so greedy, we might still be a part of the English relm. (Not picking at England, just historical fact.)

America is made up of many different cultures, and people that have come from other countries to live their lives with more freedom and for a chance at a better life.

America=freedom to a lot of people.

21. Neha

^^We have an Independence Day too..the Government of India Act, 1947, officially came to effect then. Though we have a Republic Day too...I'm not sure if many other countries have them??

22. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

*Scratches head*

Botswana? It's flat and hot and dry - well, except for the Okavango, which is flat and hot and wet. Why do you want to go there?

23. Addicted2aa

Addicted2aa New Member

I was planning on going on the Birth Right Israel trip this summer but registration filled up in two days. :( Oh well, I'll get to see it in the winter. It'll be a nice break from snow.
    On the day to day is the tension between Islam and Judiaism(sp?) evident. Like on days without bombings or retaliations.

WE do have a high rate, but certain areas are worse than others. The south is the worst. Colorado the best. I need to move out there. Fittest state in the Union.

I want to know about Brazil, China, Japan and Russia. Anyone got anything they want tell?

Australia. Is it hard to find aboriginals? Will they talk to tourists? What are people like? Is it a face paced work life, A giant party, a laid back beach ect? What are the largest domestic worries? What's the take on the government? Is there any skiing? Is that a knife?

India. What is the caste system really like? Do you really let monkeys roam the streets? If I leave heavily populated cities will the locals want to lynch me? How common is English? How many langauges are there? Whats the cost of living? Is there a good job market for skilled workers?(ie college grads) How religious is the local populace? If I go to learn about yoga, meditation, buddha, the 6 million(or is more?) gods, ect will I just look like a western asshole?

Britian. Do you guys like Americans? How prevelant are hooligans? Why do you drink your beer warm? Is your country good looking? What are it's measurments? Do you really have bad dental hygine? Whats better football or cricket? Are there still stuck up nobility and where can I find them to give them wedgies?

Venizuala. Is it safe?

I figure people don't have many questions about the US since they seem to know way more about us than we know about them, so instead I'll mention a little bout my home region, New England. We are the home of the intellectual elite. Or at least the intellectual arrogant. We more Ivy league schools than any region. Rhode Island is owned by mobsters. Mass is full of assholes. Anyone from Mass, RI or Conn likely can't drive. We have the hardest skiing in the world. Not the best, the hardest. Our mountains are covered in ice as opposed to nice powder. VT is the North East hippy capital, specifically Burlington. They also have great beer. Fall is the best season. Our trees turn beautiful colors and the sight is truly breathtaking from the top of a mountain. Most people aren't that friendly. It's not that we are mean, we just keep to ourselves. The farther north you go the less there is to do if you don't like the outdoors. Maine has some nice beaches. Any other questions?

24. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Depends where you go. Go to the Outback and you'll find them all over the place (not many settlements inland so if you go to a settlement, yes) There are many many many half-cast aboriginals iin Australia, some you cant tell

I am actually 1/8th Aboriginal, but you would never, never know ;) (My grandfather was full-blood)

FUll blood ones from the real country, maybe.... I mean if your taling "normal" Aboriginals, but you could talk to a lot of the rangers and stuff. There normal people. So you could. Hard to answer though. Respect is a big thing in Aboriginal culture. Show it, you get it, thus you could.

Australian culture in general - We work about 40 hours a week usually. One of the most professional workplaces in the world if you ask me....(We believe in high end quality). That said Australians are the most laid back people on the planet.

Laid back beach (??) As in surfers? Somewhat.

Good question. Economy, Security and Obescity are on the forefront. Nothing huge that we worry about to be honest. Oh and Global warming, Whaling etc (heaps, but nothing huge)

A bunch of wankers. Australians care little about politics, trust me.

Yes, some. About 3 months of the year between VIctoria and New South Whales. Its (pretty decent enough) I'll link up a site later on this

No, its a boomerang

25. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Speaking of English sterotypes.

How often do you guys bath?

;)

Just playing around.