My story is set in the 1980s... but should it be?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by ashtonelias, Apr 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Just thinking about 80s fashion and remember what I miss about it. It was a decade of dressing to please yourself in many ways. And, except for the 'power dresser' with the shoulder pads and high heels and makeup, it was a very comfortable decade for women. Clothes were baggy for people who wanted baggy, although there were a lot of leotard tops and leggings around for people who didn't. Hairstyles were whatever you wanted to wear. Cropped short, long, leonine, shaggy, curly, fuzzy, whatever you wanted. What I miss most? Baggy jeans that either taper at the ankle and/or are partly rolled. And socks with sandals! Colourful socks with sandals.

The 80s, above all, were about having fun, on a personal level. Much more fun than the 60s and 70s, really. The 90s got all sobered down, and the fashion became very restrictive for women. All those dull colours and form-fitting tailored blouses and blazers. Yuk. I didn't like the 90s much.

Shenanigator likes this.