1. crimsonrose

crimsonrose New Member

My "tecnique"

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by crimsonrose, Mar 23, 2009.

I've found that I cannot sit through one chapter and go through it with a fine tooth comb right away. Instead, when I am feeling inspired, I write chapter summaries of future chapters, and then work on them fast and furious, giving little thought to whether or not there is perfect flow or balance. Then, when I am finished, I go through the chapter and revise it.

Does anyone else here do this? Type out everything in your head while it's still hot, and then go back and make it, well, better. I've found that if I don't do it that way, I lose inspiration because I get too caught up in the technicalities of it.

2. lyteside

lyteside New Member

yeah, I'm finding that I do something similar. *nod*

There's a little more organizing on how each scene line up, but its still just a sentence.

Then, typically I'll write a paragraph about what I want a scene to be about and just get back to it later, furiously, just like you said. =)

3. Phantasmal Reality

Phantasmal Reality New Member

Always strike while the iron is hot! There is plenty of time to go back later and make everything "perfect". :)

4. crimsonrose

crimsonrose New Member

haha, agreed. I post my very rough drafts on fanfiction.net (even though its my own thing, not fanfiction) for reviews, to see if it completely sucks or not. Tis helpful, but I was feeling like perhaps I was, well, odd for not doing it more organized the first time around

5. crimsonrose

crimsonrose New Member

Si, that's what I do too :) I also have this folder filled with all of the things that pertain to my story. Theres pictures that inspired the scenes in it, there's chapter summaries, rough drafts, outtakes, and so on. I keep a document in the folder dedicated to changes I need to make in the final draft.

6. TereFaerie

TereFaerie Member

I find that the best remedy for writer's block is to go on to another scene. Of course, this doesn't work when you're stuck on the ending. Blast!
    I do this all the time. Sometimes, I even go back and forth from one scene to another while I'm writing to help create continuity.
    One author's writing workshop suggests writing certain scenes (she calls them "candy bar" scenes) as a reward for finishing a more difficult passage.

Personally, I write out scenes longhand as they come to me in a notebook, but as the novel progresses, I'm sometimes at the computer already when these ideas come, so I just type out a few quick sentences. They can always be changed later when I get to that point. Usually, they just need to be clarified and contextualized.

Oh, and hold onto those chapter summaries. If your story doesn't change too much, they can be very useful for when you finally have to write a synopsis.

Good luck with your writing.

7. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

I take it a step further. I turn off all spell check and grammar check so that nothing gets in the way of my striking the hot iron.

Good thread!

8. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

I tend to write out my paragraphs and leave it for quiet some time before going back. Only problem is that when I go back, I decide the entire things needs to be rewritten and start over from scratch. I'm never satisfied o.0

9. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

True true. Inspiration is inspiration nonetheless, and you should take full advantage of it the moment it hits.

I usually write and mentally correct myself as I go along, then add more to it after I let it sit for a bit.

10. Sato Ayako

Sato Ayako New Member

I wish I could work like that! I'm jealous. For me, writing is slogging my way through my "required" number of words so I can stop. I can't just "strike while the iron is hot". I notice it when I use too many adjectives, or when my plot is hip-hop-skipping to a dead end. I can't just sit there and let it go, because then I'll feel the story is too broken, and I won't do as good a job when I revise it.

:D I seriously don't know why I still write, but it is neat when you finally hit your stride, whatever that is for you.

11. architectus

architectus Banned

I try to write my first draft as well as possible. After a jolt of inspiration, I stop and read over the last few paragraphs, making sure I used enough of the senses. After I finish a chapter I like to go over it right away and make sure I shared the characters emotions and thoughts.

12. crimsonrose

crimsonrose New Member

Mmm, I do that too, I just don't change it till I'm finished with the chapter, or in this case, till I'm finished with the novel. lol. Instead I write down that I need to change this or that in chapter 2, 5, 7, whatever. :D

13. Phantasmal Reality

In the ideal world, the iron would always be hot. However, in the real world, the iron is usually lukewarm at best. XD While it may not be very fun, part of writing is being able to trudge through the periods of "what was I thinking when I started this?" until you hopefully hit that next burst of inspiration. In the end, it's probably better to be able to slog your way through to completion than to jump from inspiration to inspiration and never really finish anything you start. :rolleyes:

That being said, if any work becomes more "trudge" than "joy", there may be a need to reevaluate why you're even working on it. I personally believe in writing for yourself first, and hoping that what you've put forth will resonate with others and hopefully change their lives in some positive sense. Even if that doesn't happen, you should at least feel good about what you've written. :-D

14. crimsonrose

crimsonrose New Member

Haha aw! The iron isn't always hot. In fact, i haven't written in 4 days. I just don't have any inspiration. I know it's best, supposedly, to try to write everyday, but I get discouraged when my work comes out like total crap. I wait until I get a nice burst of inspiration :)

I do about 5,000 words on a good day, and on average 2,000 words a day. not much.

15. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

Yes, that is about what I do. I try to write as much as I can, but often I focus on making sections as good as can be at first, before moving on. I'd like to experiment with different methods though.

16. Phantasmal Reality

It's all about the quality, not quantity. ;) Well... as long as you write enough to actually finish something before you kick the bucket. XD

On days that I don't feel like writing, like today, I don't force myself. I find that the next time I do feel like writing will be all the more productive if I do so. Usually I end up writing something else though. Like today, I wrote an entry for this week's poetry contest. I wasn't planning on doing that, but I didn't feel like working my novel so... tada! :p In the end, I feel good about the poem I wrote so I'm kind of glad I didn't work on my novel today. :rolleyes:

I guess I just don't like the idea of writing when you're not feeling good about it. Even if you have a "bad" day and only crank out a hundred words, you should at least feel good about those hundred words and be able to say to yourself, "I'm proud of what I accomplished today." Honestly, I believe your energy for your work shows up in what you write. If you're jazzed about it, it's going to show and add to whatever it is you're writing. If you're not that into it, that will also carry over into your final product.

The author's love and purpose for their manuscript is what I believe separates the great works from the exceptional ones. :cool:

17. crimsonrose

crimsonrose New Member

agreed. I get too discouraged when I force myself to write. I tried to today. I got out 300 words, but I'm having a crappy day so I won't write anymore :) I'll wait till i feel the need to.

I hate it when people say you gotta write every day cuz writing could be your job later as an author. Writing is also an artform, unlike pencil pushing, and you cant force it out.

18. architectus

architectus Banned

I think any artform can be pushed out. I am also a painter, and I get paid to paint. It doesn't matter if I feel like painting or not, I have a deadline and I have to produce something or lose my client. Recently a client hired me to paint 45 paintings. Oh yeah there were days I didn't feel like painting, but can he tell which paintings I was not in the mood to paint? I bet not.

19. Phantasmal Reality

I'm a bit of an idealist. In the real world, with dealines and clients, you have to do what you have to do. If you have the luxury of taking your time, I think you should, but if you need to write a thousand words a day to put food on the table....

20. Moira

Moira New Member

That's a good idea! I think I might try that out.

I also "strike while the iron is hot" and get my idea on paper. Then I go back after a few days when the words are no longer fresh in my head and comb through it. I'm kind of putting that little part off right now, making the perfections can be SO tedious, but I'll get to is eventually.

21. Moira

Moira New Member

I force myself to write even on days when I don't feel the creative spark. I just don't force myself to write on what I feel is my most important project at the time. Instead of adding a few pages or a chapter on my current rewrite I'll scratch down a poem or find a picture and discribe the scene. If I don't feel creative enough for that I'll add onto a charater sheet or write about my day. It's good to keep your brain fresh and ready for anything.

I can't remember who but I was reading about an author who said that she writes by scene's. She won't take her work from beginning to end she'll start somewhere in the middle, hop around a bit, and then circle around until they all fit together. I also do that with my books. It helps keep me on my central project while not forcing me to stay held in the one part I'm feeling lame about.

22. crimsonrose

crimsonrose New Member

There we go, this makes sense. I do this too. I meant I won't force myself to write my NOVEL on days when im uninspired. But I do, like you, write SOMETHING, ya know? Typically a character sheet or discriptions of the scenes or something. :)

I just find that if I force myself to write in the actual novel, I get discouraged, and it puts me in too bad a mood to write. lol.

23. crimsonrose

crimsonrose New Member

Mmm, agreed. But writing that first novel can be so bloody tough, it's better, in my opinion, to make it enjoyable as possible, thus- no forcing unless necessary.

24. Moira

Moira New Member

I like your pic rose. I also get VERY discouraged when I try and add onto my novel and come up empty handed. I found that sleeping helps a lot. When you're deprived of sleep you're creative drive plummets, but if you get a good deep sleep then you're creativity will come right back. It's true, try it.

25. crimsonrose

crimsonrose New Member

why thank you :) it was from a three month period when I tried at failed at modeling. lol. epic failed. anyhoo, writing novels is more fun anyhow.

indeed it does. due to strange circumstances i have a screwy sleeping schedule, so when i wake up at noon having only had a few hours of sleep, i can tell if i dont nap, its gonna be a no-no writing day.