1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

My third and newest project I'm working on :)

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Marcelo, May 25, 2008.

right now I'm working on 3 projects. I thought of this one after seeing the Disney movie Hercules while I researched about Norse Mythology in wikipedia. See if you like it.

Brothers Marcus and Tracey Thunder are not what they think they are. They discover that they are Modi (Marcus) and Thrud (Tracey), Thor's son and daughter. They become involved in a brutal battle between the AEsir and the Vanir, the God clans of Norse Mythology.

They help the AEsir fight the Vanir, but later discover something. Odin is the real bad guy. He wants to stop the prophecy of Ragnarok (end of the world) from fulfilling, and the only way to do it is destroying the Gods and Goddesses of the New Order (The Gods that would rule after Ragnarok). He is an ally of Hel, and most of the AEsir are oblivious of his intentions. And so, Odin has the undead armies and the Einherjars (the souls of the brave fell in battle) and the AEsir at his disposition.

After a brutal battle, Marcus and Tracey manage to escape with their father Thor (who by now knows of Odin's intentions), who tells them he will try to make the other AEsir see the truth. He sends them to Athena, Greece, were the now retired Greek Gods run an academy for heroes and heroines.

There they meet Ace (Achilles), Odie (Odysseus) and Percy (Perseus) and a yet-to-be-selected heroine.

Do you like it by far, or should I drop the project?

2. Al B

Al B New Member

Actually, that sounds like it could be a lot of fun, but I must admit that if I were going to do something like that, I'd be tempted to play it for laughs, as I'd think it might otherwise seem a bit too 'up its own ass' if you know what I mean.

I think there would be great comedy potential in having gods 'retired' and such. Playing it straight might require you to keep it grounded in the myth of Ragnarok, something which as you know, is pretty much on rails as far as how things turn out. Not to mention the fact that it would probably also require the main character's opening world (i.e. day to day life) to come to an end if Ragnarok is anything to go by.

As I say, it sounds like it could be good though.

Al

3. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

yeah, every story needs humor! But as the story continues it turns more serious. The Academy run by the Greek Gods is attacked by the Einherjars, when Marcus and Tracey recieve a letter from Thor.
    They must travel to Avalon, the Island of Golden Apples, to recover the shattered pieces of Excalibur, which reside in King Arthur's resting place.
    In the way to the Island they will find mythological figures such as the Kraken, Jormungandr, Charybidis and Scylla.

4. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

That sounds like it could become a sweet and complex novel, i literally haven't seen many Norse/Greek myth novels set in modern lately. Its original, I like it, and if it gets published, im your biggest fan ok? :D:cool:

5. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

This sounds interesting, quirky and original! Go for it! I'd love to read it when you're done. :)

6. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Ok, I need help with something here in my story. Marcus and Tracey (I changed their surname) Hammer are normal teens. Marcus is sixteen, and recently got his driving license. Tracey is starting her first year in high school, and is thoroughly enjoying it.

How can I expose them to the Times of Myth?

- They have to have a reason to leave their normal lives behind.

- At first they will think everything's a joke, and to make them believe sooner, most things about the old myths will be revealed to them in a way it is hard to swallow.

Note: Ordinary people won't see mythological figures. f.e. if a cyclops started dancing in front of someone, that someone wouldn't see it. Why? The Gods and Goddesses will answer this way when Marcus and Tracey ask them this question: "They just don't believe. Humans seek proofs before believing, and only those believing without proofs will see the World hidden before their scientific eyes."

7. Smithy

Smithy New Member

I'd read that whether it was done for comedy or drama, it sounds awesome.

For the female heroine of the Greek academy I would probably go for Atlanta, a kick ass huntress. Or, depending on what you want to do with these characters, you could choose Penthesilea, an Amazon who fought in the Trojan War. According to the Ilou Persis Achilles fell in love with her just before she died, so she has the potential to be his love interest.

8. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Greek and Norse mythology (my two favorites) combined? Sounds pretty cool.:cool: