Myers-Briggs Personality Type Discussion (and it's relation to writers)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daniel, Oct 3, 2013.

?

What MBTI are you?

1. ISTJ

5.6%
  2. ISFJ

2.8%
  3. INFJ

30.6%
  4. INTJ

8.3%
  5. ISTP

8.3%
  6. ISFP

2.8%
  7. INFP

8.3%
  8. INTP

19.4%
  9. ESTP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. ESFP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. ENFP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. ENTP

5.6%
  13. ESTJ

2.8%
  14. ESFJ

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. ENFJ

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. ENTJ

5.6%
  1. Rani99

Rani99 Member

Infj.
    What they write on MBTI sites are not very accurate. I did my own research on Youtube and it actually helped me a lot to understand myself.

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Meyers/Briggs is based on tests originally developed by Carl Jung, though it seems it's become something of a cult on the internet. I've never taken the M/B profile myself, maybe I ought to. But I've read a lot of Jung. I don't personally think that any particular personality profile will include all or most writers, they'll come from all across the board, but their type will definitely influence their writing.

My interest in psychology is more because I believe psychology is character, and learning about certain aspects of it helps you understand why people act the way they do, and helps you create characters and place them into a believable character web for a story.

Just learning in depth about introversion and extroversion helps immensely in writing believable characters, especially when you start to grasp the association-chains of other beliefs and attitudes that go hand in hand with each (always keeping in mind that these are tendencies, and far from set in stoneā€”it actually gets way more interesting after you've absorbed a good deal of knowledge about the psychology and then can observe it in action in people you know).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  3. O.M. Hillside

O.M. Hillside Senior Member

I'm an ENTP. I might be an INTP. But I've consistently identified more with ENTP. But I can also identify a bit with INFP and ISTJ. There's definitely truth to MBTI but I see it as a starting point to gaining understanding in how people think. Not an endpoint.

Xoic likes this.