1. Teladan

Teladan Contributor Contributor

Mythago Wood - If Only...

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Teladan, Aug 8, 2020.

This book and author seemed tailored to me. He studied zoology and loved woodlands. I studied ecology and love woodlands. Most of my writings revolve around portals into other worlds and the power of fantasy and archetypes. I'm surprised I've never encountered Holdstock before. However, I've just finished reading MW and I have to say I didn't like it as much as I want to. I suppose that's okay, and I am planning to read the second book, but I just can't get my head around the metaphysics of the thing. I would dearly appreciate any clarifications to the following questions.

I understand the core concepts of Mythagos and the subconscious/archetypes/Jungian/Freud aspects. But I just don't understand how things actually work. It seems the sort of book about which one can ask a thousand questions.

SPOILERS AHEAD. (Largely unstructured queries)

• Why only Ryhope Wood? Why not any of the other ancient woodlands in Britain at the time? (I think Broceliande features in one story.)
    • If they go back in time toward the wall of fire, why does Talos appear before the "early Scandinavian communities". I had assumed they'd go back in time.
    • One of my main questions is why Guiwenneth came out of the wood and at what point in her story. I can't quite see the overall structure of all the different Peregu/Peredur/Mogoch myths. At what point in her story did she leave to go in search of Steve?
    • The story started off with clear mythago archetypal heroes, but soon becomes just a regular world with settlements and the like. I understand the the knight's castle and the broch were mythagos themselves, but what of the various little communities that help them survive? What role do they have?
    • I feel I just have too many questions about elements that weren't fully explained. The 'flame-talkers' confuse me, as does the Jagad. Any clarification without spoilers?
    • I understand that the Urscumug is the father who imbued his own anger and frustration into the boar-man, but it's not quite clear how he actually embodies the creature. It's said that George didn't create it, merely summoned it, but then why is the boar-man actually the father at the end of the book? The father seems to live within the Urscumug's body.
    • Steven becomes the mythic figure in the end, but I don't understand how he meets Mogoch at the end and why that's significant. Is it just a way of saying how he has become part of the stories which were told in their various versions? I feel like I'm not seeing a clear progression. It's a bit disjointed.
    • To be honest, not quite clear how the Urscumug relates to the 'flame-talkers'. The Urscumug was once a man who was changed by the Sion and exiled. It's said he's the first hero archetype. Hm, how so? I suppose it was one of several guardians of the wood, but not sure how it's a "hero".
    I'm sure I have more questions, but don't want the post to get too big. I feel that Robert just put too much into what is a fairly small novel. The 'avatar', 'beast god', 'Jagad', and 'Sion' doesn't help. I will read the second book for sure, but I just seem to have more questions than answers for this first in the series.

Edit: Some more questions.

Why do we only see a few mythagos in the wood? And why does the concept seem to vary? I can understand how Robin Hood is a mythical hero derived from hate/fear--even a faerie pathway--but not a random Neolithic village which provides them with supplies. That doesn't seem like a mythago and I'm not sure how that latter element in the story operates in space and time. I find it odd that in Ryhope there are communities living out there own lives, e.g. the Shamiga. Why are there only three random Saxons in the entirety of the wood? I feel like there must surely be whole kingdoms and communities. I have so many questions about the inner workings. The world inside the wood seems sparsely populated and we don't really get a good look at the landscape in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020