1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Name the bakery

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by deadrats, Mar 25, 2022.

I'm not sure where to post this, but I could use some help generating ideas when it comes to the name of my bakery. The bakery is a really big part of my story. Everyone loves this bakery so much that the fresh baked goods make them lose sight of other things. Right now I'm just referring to it as the bakery, but I think I can do better than that. I believe giving it a name (the right name) will benefit the story. I'm just stuck on what to call the place. Help.

As for further discussion, do you name the establishments your characters frequent? I've gone both ways. Who doesn't have a story or a scene at "the bar?" When I have named places I've used real places like chain restaurants that people will be familiar with. Do you guys rely on real places in your fiction or do you create your own? Do you think naming places does anything for the story or am I overthinking this?

2. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Smithwick's Bakery

Fred's Bakery

Mcgillicuddy's Baked Goods Store

Honest Abe Baking Company

Cobbett's Castle of Cakes, Breads and Pastries: Purveyors of Fresh Baked Goods

Smith's Bakery Store: We Put the "Good" in "Baked Goods"

Schmidt's Authentic German Bakery: A Taste of the Old World

Kowalski's Bakery: Authentic Polish Baked Goods

Cartwright's Delicatessen & Bakery

deadrats likes this.
  3. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I think you'll need to offer more than "Everyone loves this bakery" - is it a trendy modern place - the hot-cross bagel, a traditional place - grans and granary, somewhere to sit, eat and chat - tea, cakes, and teacakes, a cafe - Mo's!, a hipster place - the grand plan frangipane...??

Dogberry's Watch and deadrats like this.
  4. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I'd call it The Bakery.

5. nhope

nhope Member Reviewer

I like The Bakery. It's interesting. Mysterious. I would go there just to find out why it's named just that.

deadrats likes this.