Tags:
  1. itsmickib

itsmickib Member

Names of races

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by itsmickib, Dec 23, 2017.

Hi:supersmile:

For a good while now, I've had these names for my story's fantasy races:

Skyfolkians
    Winged humans. Think of bird like, angelic beings.

Seafolkians
    Finned humans. Think of the Zoras from Legend of Zelda, but more human looking.

Lunians
    Crazy wolf like people

Mixis
    Tiny, adorable furry humans. Think of girls with cat ears and rabbit ears, except more furry.

I've always planned to change the names. Do you have any suggestions?

Sorry about the lazy descriptions. If you'd like more detailed descriptions, feel free to ask.

2. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

Do you have more of a description of each race? Information on their culture, belief system, and physical makeup can help with creating names. Sometimes jumbling up letters can make for interesting names as well; I generally just throw letters together to make something that looks cool and sounds linguistically plausible while also not being a real word.

itsmickib likes this.
  3. itsmickib

itsmickib Member

Thank you, yes I have background information on each race. I'm now considering to name each race based on their language and how they name their children.

Mink likes this.
  4. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

The last thing that any reader is going to care about is a name. A rose by any other.... Well, you get the point.

5. itsmickib

itsmickib Member

Ha, good point. The names aren't a big concern for me actually, but I still want to put a lot of thought into them.

6. Mink

I don't readily agree with this. I've heavily rolled my eyes at some of the names I've seen of races and if the names are too simple then I question the author's ability to write. Even in YA and children's books I think there should be some sort of creativity to the name and that the name sounds unique/feasible without being terribly childish (the exclusion is something firmly set in myth already such as nymphs and satyrs).

izzybot and itsmickib like this.
  7. itsmickib

itsmickib Member

Personally, I appreciate creative names (even if they're a little punny) I love the names in the Hunger Games: Katniss,Peeta, Rue, Prim. But I think I care about names a bit more than most people.

Mink likes this.
  8. Mink

Punny names are in an entirely different realm. I enjoy them, too, and use them on occasion. I also like using names with a meaning directly related to the characteristics of their race; I've had fox characters who have names that literally mean "fox" because it makes me giggle.

itsmickib likes this.