nano 2019

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by unencumbered, Oct 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Got the 50,000 words around 11:30 PM Monday. Is the novel finished? Heck, no. The scene I was working on when I logged the last 715 words isn't even finished. But now I'm no longer under pressure to produce Words, any Words, and can give the story more thought. And now I know I can crank out 50,000 words in 25 days, so I have no excuse not to keep on till it's done.

Here's to the 10th or so of December.

Maybe somebody needs to start a thread where we encourage each other to finish the novels we start during NaNoWriMo.

2. Quixote's Biographer

Quixote's Biographer Active Member

Good idea. I have hope I'll finish the first draft by December 1st but I still have about 30% to write and even with the rest of the week off work after today, I'm still not sure I'll get there. But the main goal now is to finish the draft, even if that means writing well into December.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  3. Quixote's Biographer

Right, so with a few days off work to finish off this year's NaNo, I decided to attempt a different milestone I've never achieve before (never attempted it either because it's a bit insane and you need a lot of spare time to do it). Sitting at 154K on Wednesday, I decided to try and complete three milestones in one go today and at 11:15 PM tonight I had achieved all three, which was the following:

1. 200K words total for this year's NaNo
    2. Finish a first draft for a novel for the first time in my life (for? of? My head is cooked. See below)
    3. The insane kicker: 50K words in less than 24 hours.

I managed 50 221 words in 23 hours and 18 minutes, starting at midnight and finishing up about 45 minutes to go.

My fingers are officially ruined and it's a struggle to even type this post, but man what a feeling actually achieving those goals, especially #3 which was a real struggle. I don't even want to look at the last 5K I wrote but luckily my first draft was done by then so I had started on a new idea which I didn't take too seriously.

My head is cooked so I'm gonna lie down on the couch and be a zombie for a while now.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  4. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Amateur Human Contributor

My November word count! NaNo is over for me... I'm going to bed!:cheerleader:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 10.33.32 PM.png

5. Catrin Lewis

Last year there was a validator on the NaNo site, and you had to put your text through it before you got your certificate and all. This year, I don't see it, and I got my certificate and badges anyway.

My final is 55,974. Thirty days straight of writing, though I finished on the 25th. Haven't been all that productive the past five days.

6. Quixote's Biographer

Congrats! That's great :) Did you finish a first draft? Is it something you wanna continue to work on?

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  7. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I didnt technically do Nano, but i wrote 60730 words during november - which was not quite a novel

8. Catrin Lewis

No, the draft isn't finished yet. Probably got the last quarter to a third to do.

My sensible, grownup brain says yes, I want to finish it and get it out there. My childish gut says, "No! I don't wanna do nuffin' wiv it right now! I wanna go play!"

It's 10:05 PM my time. I think I'm going to go do some writing, just to keep the grownup in the ascendancy.

Quixote's Biographer likes this.
  9. Quixote's Biographer

I think the main reason I've never completed one of my NaNo novels is because I keep thinking "Oh, I'll continue writing in December until I'm done!" And then on December 1st I wanna do absolutely anything but write! So I'm glad I finally finished it in November! :)

Forcing myself to write this morning though. Trying to establish a habit of writing every morning before work. But just working on something without an outline and something really silly so I'm just having fun with it. Need that after the very outlined and serious NaNo.. :supergrin:

Edward M. Grant and Catrin Lewis like this.