NaNoWriMo nano 2019

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by A.S.Ford, Mar 12, 2019.

1. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I'm in the same boat. Way behind and need to really pick up quick to have even a chance to make it.

2. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Still gotta bash out the thing for collaboration too. Bit backlogged after holiday and some unexpected annoyances, but I should be on track by the end of the week (if not before).

I imagine I’m going to right something for thsi NaNo thing that’s gonna flit between stream of conscious writing and end up resembling a weird kind of epic tale that will be abstract and probably almost entirely incomprehensible to anyone but myself. The aim is merely to get a large body of writing down first and foremost.

minstrel and EFMingo like this.
  3. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

Yeah. Read my comment as bitter irony. And here's to the Large Chunks getting written.

4. Catrin Lewis

I have a lot of places where I've put "[this is lame]," just like that, in brackets. It frees me up to get whatever the thing is down as a plot/character/setting development point and not worry for the moment about the prose.

Quixote's Biographer likes this.
  5. Quixote's Biographer

Quixote's Biographer Active Member

Good idea. There's going to be a second draft/rewrite (I hope) so not getting stuck or stopping completely because I don't like the last paragraph I wrote is a good thing.

I got a 50 minute writing session in before work and hit 90K. I've given up on catching up with my 'Team 200K' buddies at this stage and I'm only focused on myself. Need 100K by the end of Thursday to stay on schedule.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  6. Catrin Lewis

I still haven't figured out how to catch up with buddies on the NNWM site. I click on people's names on my list and check what their word count is, but I don't consider that support or catching up, really, for them or for me.

7. Quixote's Biographer

:(
    My two Team 200K buddies are part of my regular writing group where I live and we stay in touch during NaNo on a discord server with all the other Norwegians doing NaNo. And we have an open spreadsheet where every Norwegian who wants to partake can post their word count each day to see who writes the most in Norway. I won last year, but this year I'm too far behind.

But no matter, I'm going to focus on finishing the first draft first of all, something I've never done with a novel before, and not worry too much about word count since I'm past 50K anyway.

Edit: hurt my hand at work and now 200K looks impossible... :(

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Catrin Lewis likes this.
  8. Catrin Lewis

The Like isn't for you hurting your hand, it's for the explanation. Take care of it. I'd suggest dictation software, but it's not a mend-all. I can never get it to work.

I passed the halfway mark today, and if I keep up the pace I'll finish the 50,000 by the 26th. Good stuff, as then I can play around on (American) Thanksgiving with a good conscience. I don't dare stop with that word count, though. I'm two weeks in and I'm still adding and restoring scenes in Part 1. Yikes! If my goal is to come out of this with a completed draft, I have to keep going till I write The End.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Quixote's Biographer and EFMingo like this.
  9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Two weeks in and I've given up on Scene One. I have about seven versions of it now and I'm not happy with any of them. On to Scene Two! I'll give it a try or two, and if I can't get it right, then it's time to write a scene with Luke Skywalker versus Thanos. In a pillow fight. Gandalf arrives to save the day, but is incapacitated by a sudden head cold, so Chuck Norris saves the day. Scene Three will consist of thirty thousand words of sheer desperation. I'm thinking Iron Chef America judged by Winnie the Pooh, Aquaman, and Stimpy.

10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'm not actually signed up to nano but by chance i started my latest project on nov 1 - i'm currently at 25k and change

11. Catrin Lewis

That sounds about right.

12. Quixote's Biographer

Halfway to 50K is awesome! If you by 'adding and restoring' mean editing, that's not. No editing allowed in November! ;)

Keep going! You're doing great!

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  13. Catrin Lewis

Re: the restoring part: I'm doing the NaNo Rebel thing and working to finish the novel I started for NaNoWriMo last year. But I suffered a computer glitch and sometime between January and May I lost the final version I won with on 11/30/18. Latest I had was from 11/28/18, and it was 6,500 words shorter. Thus the need to rewrite the missing chapters before I go on to Part 2.

Moral of the story? Back up your NNWM file, and not just to the cloud.

The added scenes are new ones I've just thought of that need to be in Part 1, so the rest of the novel makes sense.

And you know, it just hit me that maybe I could have continued with the same project from last year, instead of making a new one and calling it Strong as Death, Part 2. Because I haven't touched Part 2 so far at all.

Too late now.

Anyway, I'm up to 28,123 words as of 11:58 PM on Friday. Produced 1,300 new words yesterday. Not bad, considering I was out working pretty much all day and couldn't sit down to write till 10:20 PM.

jannert and Quixote's Biographer like this.
  14. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Methinks you need to take a pill? :eek:

15. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'm guessing that cannabis is legal in your state

J.T. Woody and jannert like this.
  16. MissBadWolf

MissBadWolf Senior Member

I am trying and sort of failing on NaNoWriMo as I do not have access to my computer for reasons too complicated to mention here. I can sit down and write a bunch on my paper in my folder/notebook thing but I do not know how to count my words other than one by one and that gets so tiring after one page. Are there any ideas how to do that? I do have ADHD which does not help.

17. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Banned

Welp, I finally figured out what to write and then making great progress on it. Figures! LOL

18. Catrin Lewis

Got the 50,000 words around 11:30 PM Monday. Is the novel finished? Heck, no. The scene I was working on when I logged the last 715 words isn't even finished. But now I'm no longer under pressure to produce Words, any Words, and can give the story more thought. And now I know I can crank out 50,000 words in 25 days, so I have no excuse not to keep on till it's done.

Here's to the 10th or so of December.

Maybe somebody needs to start a thread where we encourage each other to finish the novels we start during NaNoWriMo.

19. Quixote's Biographer

Good idea. I have hope I'll finish the first draft by December 1st but I still have about 30% to write and even with the rest of the week off work after today, I'm still not sure I'll get there. But the main goal now is to finish the draft, even if that means writing well into December.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  20. Quixote's Biographer

Right, so with a few days off work to finish off this year's NaNo, I decided to attempt a different milestone I've never achieve before (never attempted it either because it's a bit insane and you need a lot of spare time to do it). Sitting at 154K on Wednesday, I decided to try and complete three milestones in one go today and at 11:15 PM tonight I had achieved all three, which was the following:

1. 200K words total for this year's NaNo
    2. Finish a first draft for a novel for the first time in my life (for? of? My head is cooked. See below)
    3. The insane kicker: 50K words in less than 24 hours.

I managed 50 221 words in 23 hours and 18 minutes, starting at midnight and finishing up about 45 minutes to go.

My fingers are officially ruined and it's a struggle to even type this post, but man what a feeling actually achieving those goals, especially #3 which was a real struggle. I don't even want to look at the last 5K I wrote but luckily my first draft was done by then so I had started on a new idea which I didn't take too seriously.

My head is cooked so I'm gonna lie down on the couch and be a zombie for a while now.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  21. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

My November word count! NaNo is over for me... I'm going to bed!:cheerleader:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 10.33.32 PM.png

22. Catrin Lewis

Last year there was a validator on the NaNo site, and you had to put your text through it before you got your certificate and all. This year, I don't see it, and I got my certificate and badges anyway.

My final is 55,974. Thirty days straight of writing, though I finished on the 25th. Haven't been all that productive the past five days.

23. Quixote's Biographer

Congrats! That's great :) Did you finish a first draft? Is it something you wanna continue to work on?

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  24. big soft moose

I didnt technically do Nano, but i wrote 60730 words during november - which was not quite a novel

25. Catrin Lewis

No, the draft isn't finished yet. Probably got the last quarter to a third to do.

My sensible, grownup brain says yes, I want to finish it and get it out there. My childish gut says, "No! I don't wanna do nuffin' wiv it right now! I wanna go play!"

It's 10:05 PM my time. I think I'm going to go do some writing, just to keep the grownup in the ascendancy.