narrators breaking the wall

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MatthewR, May 22, 2011.

1. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Really, you can't? I swear we covered this in the thread. Most second person isn't talking to the literal 'you' sitting at home reading the book, but a persona of sorts, a character of 'you.' It's the same way first person isn't asking you to actually believe you're literally in a story, but to accept/adapt a character of 'I' that isn't actually yourself.

2. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

The first thing that came to my mind was Ellery Queen - but as a tv series. In that medium (television, that is) it works well. In literature, ehh, not so much in my opinion.

3. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I only think it works well in comedy stories -- it doesn't fit too well with other types, IMO.

4. GraceCousins

GraceCousins New Member

I've seen this done in first person, where the character is talking to the reader: "I did this next because of this, and this was the result". Usually in a conversational tone, and not just comedy but in more serious fiction as well. Done well I don't mind, but overdone it can get annoying.