1. Shizai Ko

Shizai Ko New Member

NAS Research: Identity and Individuality

Discussion in 'Research' started by Shizai Ko, Jul 14, 2008.

Why is a sense of identity so important? This connects into my story about the coming of the new age. My main character Shar is the half alien/human that was engineered to usher in the new age in which humanity’s gene pool will be merged with alien DNA. This will create a new species. One of the “side effects” will be the loss of a certain amount of individuality that humans as single entities currently have. The minds amongst individuals will be more synchronized like the alien race, if the original vision (Shar’s engineered purpose) is fulfilled. Many groups during the series will have their own visions for Shar and their design for the new world; and one of the issues that are affected is individuality and self-identity. Currently, I’m researching the evolution of self-identity in humans to help with my plot and your responses will help. Why is a sense of identity so important in the survival/downfall of humanity? Would you sacrifice your individuality or sense of self in order for humanity to evolve? Does a “survival of the fittest” system innately breed individuality or the perception of individuality? Without a “survival of the fittest” system, could humanity survive?

2. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

It's not. A hive-mind society would literally be utopia.
    Absolutely not. I, personally, don't care for an evolved version of our race which has no individuality. And if that means never to evolve, so be it.
    I think it does, but I'm not sure. I'm no biologist.:rolleyes:
    Yes, of course. We'd just have a very big suicide rate from people unable to adapt to certain situations. But, I'm unsure as to how the other system would be. Care to expand?

3. Klee

Klee New Member

Some of the questions you asked are touched upon the last episodes of Evangelion and the movies. (I'm thinking you might know it because of your avatar.)

You could read "Brave New World" as well for some ideas. I was thinking of it as I read your questions so it might be able to help you.

4. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Personally I would never give up individuality, even if it did help humanity. This idea does sound pretty like a pretty good story.

5. Shizai Ko

Shizai Ko New Member

Thanks Klee for those books. I did a little search for that book and will try to get it.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Your question is the direct and pivotal question in Octavia Butler’s sci-fi series Xenogenesis. The trilogy is individually known as Dawn, Imago, and Adulthood Rights. Excellent books which speak directly to your topic. Here are a couple of articles on the books that relate to your topic as well:

Dialogic Origins and Alien Identities in Butler’s XENOGENESIS

Octavia Butler’s Xenogenesis Trilogy: A Biologist’s Response

7. Shizai Ko

Shizai Ko New Member

I know there's no new ideas, but come on. Someone thought of it already. I thought I had an inkling of originality, and it was ripped away by one click on your post. Yeah YOUR POST WREYBIES! ONE CLICK! But... better to live in truth than delusion. I'll have to find a spin to this. NAS still on! Don't doubt me.