1. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Neck and Shoulder Deformities and Scoliosis

Discussion in 'Research' started by Oscar Leigh, Dec 7, 2018.

Hiya!
    So, this is a fairly specific kinda odd question, but I was wondering what people knew of bone deformities in the neck and shoulders? Specifically, if one had a deformity on one shoulder being higher than the other is it possible for the neck to be inclined facing that direction? My character in my WIP, Robert Cecil, is well-established to have had a hunchback. However there are also references to a "wry neck" that given it is described more as a permanent condition I have imagined as being inclined in one direction. All of his original copy portraits showing left towards the viewer so I've tended to imagine that way. But on that side is the shoulders that's higher than the other which would seem to me to make it harder to look in that direction. And would seem to push you towards the other direction. I've thought that perhaps with the right scoliosis curvature of the spine it could push that shoulder up while inclining the neck the same direction. Maybe even given the bunched-up knot would be response for the hunch which would make more sense why multiple bone twists. That would particularly sensical given the "splayed foot" reference, which I've interpreted as slightly turned-out heel, and I don't think there should be too many areas of his skeleton separately twisted without connection. But I don't really know enough about this issue. Perhaps, given this was essentially his "good side" this angle wasn't actually the incline of his neck? I wish I had more certain medical evidence. I don't even know for sure whether the references to the neck and feet are accurate, or the shoulders. Even the hunchback doesn't seem to be 100% sure. Any advice or relevant information would be appreciated.

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I can't speak to the part about the neck and back, but you've got the "splayed foot" thing wrong. I always thought that it was where the toes point outwards, but it seems that it's where the toes are spread widely apart or otherwise deformed. Google "splayed foot" for images, I found them rather unpleasant.

Correction: In addition to a deformity, it can apparently mean what I thought, something like this:

37279.jpg

As opposed to pigeon-toed:

[​IMG]

which is where the toes point inward naturally (formerly a common affectation in Japan, as it was considered "cute" for young ladies to present that way).

But do google the splay-footed thing also, I don't know if someone suffering from scoliosis is more likely to have other difficulties as well or not.

3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

It's an early 17th century reference in a letter so I wouldn't try to define it by what current medical terms it resembles. Same as the "wry neck" reference in the same sources seem to be referring to a permanent neck deformity and not the medical condition Wry Neck, which is more of a intermittent spasm.
    The first image is basically what I was imagining.