1. Daniel_Allan

Daniel_Allan New Member

Need help from Matthew Rielly Fans!

Discussion in 'Research' started by Daniel_Allan, Feb 18, 2012.

I'm writing a novel about a young aspiring Australian/Italian novelist. He has the technique, but not the ideas! He hates Matthew Reilly books with a passion and is determined to thwart his next book tour. After convincing his 2 friends to travel with him along the East coast of Australia to mess Matthew Reilly's new book tour, they set out on a road trip as Dave (main character) reads aloud all the over-the-top moments of Mr. Reilly's characters. Dave hates how unrealistic the action is, but along the way he coincidentally gets into the same over-the-top situations as he gets in trouble with police, mall security and a bunch of other situations. I'm not giving away more than that, but it's enough for you all to understand the following question:

I don't really 'dig' his books. I've tried. I also have a career to worry about (I'm a professional music producer), so I don't have the time. I ask if anyone can give me a list of over-the-top scenes from character Shane Schofield? Book/Page references would be amazing, but I'm happy to accept any help I can get.

PS: I remember one such scene where Schofield is punching-on with an Arab on the front of a coal truck which is speeding out of an Alkeida tunnel (see why I didn't read on?). Schofield grabs the Arab tightly and jumps with him off the front of the truck, but of course Schofield grabbed at the bumper in the next chapter, climbing underneath the truck and then systematically taking out all the terrorists onboard with his MAGlight from the back of the carriage to the driver. All this while wearing sunglasses.

These are the kinds of events I'm looking for. Jumping behind a giant half-tonn oak table to avoid an explosion which pushes the table halfway out the 12 storey window. The character is hanging on the edge overlooking the people below who walk like tiny ants. This person might just shoot in one direction to swing in the other. I can think of this stuff myself (it's not hard), but I'd like REAL references from Matthew Rielly. I'd like this done right and I don't want to offend Matthew Reilly (sure I said I don't like his style, but respect is respect and I don't want to cheapen my concept).

Please help.

2. Lucy1712

Lucy1712 New Member

Have you considered that quoting directly from Matthew Reilly's work for the express purpose of mocking the scenes he has written may give offence not only to the author but to his numerous fans as well? No offence may be meant, but offence will be taken nonetheless. And once offened, readers will abandon both book and author.

Also, have you given thought to the fact that the scenes you want your character to be reading aloud, would surely be protected by copyright laws? As such, you would need permission from Matthew Reilly (or his agent) to use his work.

Just some food for thought.

3. Three

Three New Member

This.
    Make up a new author. Ripley Mattson (or something). Use Matthew Rilley as a reference, but make up the scenes and the book titles. You can make it as similar as you want (it tends to be a lot of fun when people do this), but keep the name, titles and scenes different. Solves both problems. Bam. :D

4. Creos

Creos New Member

I would walk over to my bookshelf and find some over the top scenes for you but I like him too much!

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the legal landmines are impossible to avoid, if you go ahead with what you plan to do... you should consult a literary/libel attorney before proceeding any further, if you don't want that guy you intend to debase publicly to have all you'll ever earn or own for the rest of your life...

6. Daniel_Allan

Daniel_Allan New Member

As far as legal problems: If my script gets picked up... those things will be worked out. I'm a professional music producer and have dealt with large/commercial copyright issues. I am somewhat versed in these things.

As for offending people... Tough titties (the "writer" says). You can't please everyone. If someone chooses to make judgements before seeing the film through... well, it's their choice. I don't need their pennies. This is the attitude of most successful writers (and their advice, I should add).

I'm not a fan of MR's work, but I am a fan of the fact that he prides himself on interaction with his fans; and the irony of the script extends so far that MR ends up being the real life hero of the movie. Basically if he's not on board, things can be changed.

PS: Thanks for the heads up.

7. Igor

Igor Member

Is it stil true that publishers hate novels about novelists?

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

igor...
    if they're poorly written, yes... a good one will always get their attention, since their aim is to make money, not like or dislike the books they represent...