Need help thinking of a way to depict a demon of lust without being to inappropriate

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Computerbug, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Computerbug

Computerbug New Member

That comment made me crack up laughing Digitig, thank you. XD

2. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Ah, the other extreme...

3. Deleth

Deleth New Member

IT was mentioned a few posts ago but I will repeat.

LUST IS NOT JUST SEXUAL DESIRE!

Imagine if you will, Lust as wanting something very, very, VERY badly. This can be another person, this can be power, this can be wealth, it can be any number of things that your imagination can come up with. The actual sin of lust is giving in to whatever carnal desire you want (be it any of the above) and laying that desire before anything else, and doing whatever is needed (good or evil) to get it.

4. Computerbug

Computerbug New Member

Yes yes, I know that's pretty obvious. I've read every single post in this topic but as I said before, there's no way I can think to illistrate that. I know it's not just about sex but that's the most popular form of it and the best to illistrate without being stupid. How do you think I should draw a demon that you can tell that it wants something really bad all the time, and if so then what the heck should I do for greed or envy? You see my problem now? And plus once again, I need this thing to look somewhat creepy and a demon that just wants things is in no way dangerous or scary. So if you could come up with something creepier and more symbolic than my idea then please share I'd be glad to here it. I'm not a big fan of my idea but it's the best I can come up with without it sticking out among the other parts of the story.

Sorry if I kinda blew up on you, but repeating something I already know doesn't help as much as if you discribed how I could show that in visual form.

5. Cain

Cain Member

Maybe the problem is you're concentrating on the visual and not the character?

6. Protar

Protar Active Member

To amend my previous post why not make her beautiful but with enough "off" features so to speak that it's creepy? Overly pale skin, oversized eyes, long limbs like you said. As I've said before if she's completely hideous she's not going to be able to entice people and that's what demons are all about; enticing people into sin. I do have to wonder why it's lust you're having the most difficulty with. Surely something like pride would be far more difficult to personify.

7. Computerbug

Computerbug New Member

Cain, It's a horror graphic novel. Of coarse I'm going to put a lot of focus on how the character looks! o_O

Well pride I came up with a really good idea, he starts off as a really handsome movie star type character with a lot of power and he's really full of himself, but as he becomes weaker and is corrupted by the main character his mask wares off and his eyes rot out of his head revealing holes that ooze blak tar, his flesh rips apart as he desperately tries to patch it back together, and his teeth become rotten shards in a pool of black slime coming out of his mouth to reveal what he truly is deep inside, a demon. So I have no problem with pride and if you say otherwise I don't care because I like it. But as for lust, I really like your idea Protar, except I might have a couple minor details changed (I'll probably give her an abnoxious fake tan as she makes an attempt to be what people are attracted to) but other than that everything sounds good, and for attacks I'm thinking long claw like nails and a freakishly long tongue.

8. Protar

Protar Active Member

Well I would've gone with freakishly pale myself but of course it's up to you, and either one works. Long nails and tongue would work well because girls are always putting on fake nails ect. and you can see the perversion potential with the tongue. Perhaps a stinger tongue?

9. Computerbug

Computerbug New Member

Yes I was thinking along the lines of a stinger like tongue, Every demon has a logo and hers is going to be a pair of lips BTW. Not sure what type of logo pride would have though.

10. Protar

Protar Active Member

A looking glass? I'd say vanity is a type of pride after all. Maybe a crown?

11. Computerbug

Computerbug New Member

Ah yes, a crown would be perfect.

12. Marranda

Marranda New Member

In my opinion, lust is the most base, emotive sensation, and with that comes a visual of large, exaggerated in proportion, sultry 'bedroom eyes', and long, thick hair. And I agree with cruciFICTION in that it should be more about the FEEL rather than the look.

Also, I don't think it truly matters which gender you go with for your lust demon, but making it female keeps a lot of options open for you. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure men can be just as lusty as women, but if you're drawing these characters out, there can be more done to a woman's figure than a man's- getting the lust demon point across- all while staying PG13...
    This is all just my opinion though. I'm not an expert on lust demons so...

Oh! For its environment, maybe you could make it like everyone there is on ecstacy; where it's not about sex, or being naked and wild, but about the sensations of everything around you. What's normally just a fuzzy teddy bear, in the lust demon's world, would be "the most exquisitely fluffy teddy bear anyone has ever felt!" or something like that... So everything can have multiple textures, and people (are there people in lust demons' world?) are slaves to Touch, and can't get enough of those fabulously fluffy teddy bears even though they're desperate to get away from them...??
    Hmm.. I may have strayed off my original point there... somewhere.. Sorry...

13. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I agree with most of this... you kinda lost me toward the end :p (Why isn't there a raised eyebrow smilie?)

14. Protar

Protar Active Member

Truly nothing conveys demonic power more than teddy bears.

15. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

If you're going to do it, do it properly. I think violence is perverted, more so than lust. The seven deadly sins is an adult topic and you'll never give it any justice by censoring it.

16. Computerbug

Computerbug New Member

Marranda, I love that idea thank you, you've probably been the most helpful person so far. :D Everything is going to at first seem fantastic but the character will later see the cost and how bad everything turns out at the end. And DarkHaloAngel this is a little stupid comic done by one 15 year old kid, So I think I'm okay with censoring it a bit. It's not supposed to be targeted at an adult audience, more of a teen type thing so I'm fine with censoring it, and I think my target audience will be okay with it too.

1 person likes this.
  17. flipflop

flipflop New Member

Rocky horror picture show ???

18. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

At last someone I can agree with. I hate all the ideas about very female figures used to show lust. And the RHPS was about power as well as sex as well.

19. Marranda

Marranda New Member

Sorry it's taken me a week to come back to this.
    There definitely needs to be a raised-eyebrow smile emoticon on here. Re-reading my reply post, even I lost myself at the end. I gues i just couldn't figure a way of ening it after I'd made my point about the fluffy teddy bears ;)

That made me laugh out loud- thanks! But I wasn't referring to demonic power when I was talking teddy bears. I was just trying to express what I thought the environment should be like, and how the 'people' in the lust demension (?) should react to their surroundings.
    To me, nothing says demonic power more, than someone having the ability to torture you with things you love/lust after... The Simpson's episode where Homer goes to hell and is strapped to a chair, being fed donuts from a conveyor belt for all eternity, comes to mind just now...

Glad to help! :D But please don't call your comic stupid. Obviously you really don't think that, or you wouldn't be putting so much effort into it, and I think many others would agree with me when I say I don't think it's stupid. It sounds like it's going to be very good when it's completed, and though it's geared towards a teen audience, I'd like to see/read it when you're done.