Tags:
  1. Centurion

Centurion New Member

Need help with my tenses.

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Centurion, Mar 19, 2010.

I have always been a 3rd person writer, but the story I am doing now (some may have read it) is done in the past, being told by the narrator like a bards tale. So in the past parts I feel I have to use first person, as he is referring to himself, and I am having trouble with it.

~Do you have any tips or pointers onto how I can write well in first person, or do you think it might actually be alright writing in 3rd person in the past of the story?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Why can't you use third person? It seems you are more comfortable writing in third, so I would naturally suggest you stick to it.

Read a lot stories written in first person. See what worked well and what didn't. Like I mentioned, if you are more comfortable writing in third person, then stick to that.

3. Centurion

Centurion New Member

Alright, I shall read a few first person books. But if that does not work I shall use third person.

Thanks for the help!

4. jettica

jettica New Member

It is tricky to get tenses right when writing in first person. I'd suggest really getting into the mindset of the character.

Or do an exercise where you write in first person from your point of view about something that happened to you last week.

If you are working on your first draft I'd say don't worry about it too much. It's a lot easier to spot the wrong tenses when you read through again. You can change them in the second (third and fourth) drafts.