1. Winzett

Winzett Member

Need help with naming something.

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Winzett, Aug 22, 2012.

Hello there!

I am having trouble naming something in my novel. I need a word which is "opposite" of magic in a specific way. I know many names/phrases for a magic resource, such as mana, energy, life force, etc. What I am looking for is the opposite in the sense that if magic/mana/energy/etc is something that creates a supernatural power, there is some kind of "negative" magic that only removes power. Not in the sense it creates a power to destroy/dispose of but more like erasing it.

So I am wondering if there is a word which has that kind of meaning to it. :)

If I am being unclear, please ask me and I'll try to explain.

Thanks in advance! :cool:

2. Bell City Fires

Bell City Fires New Member

I suppose like anti-matter, that it would anti-(insert here your favourite term for magic)?

3. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

Or perhaps you could take path where this is "neutralizing magic". So maybe the key is to find a synonym for neutralize.

4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Reverse magic?

Terry Goodkind, though a terrible writer and story-builder, does have a rather rich world and in his novels there're 2 types of magic, and they are "opposites" (don't remember in what sense now though). I think Goodkind uses "subtractive magic".

Or google translate it and adapt the foreign word into something cool :)

5. Winzett

Winzett Member

Ideally, I want to avoid the "[insert adjective] magic" formula and use a single word. But we'll see if theere is such a word :p

I will probably try this :)

Thanks for your replies ^^

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

If I were making the choice, and I were looking for a verb rather than a noun, I'd choose a word that has the general meaning that I want (that is, the meaning of reducing or erasing or suppressing, in general, rather than specifically for magic) but is not too frequently used. And I'd assume that in my fictional society, that word's main connotation is in the realm of magic. My choice of word, just because I like it, would be "quell."

I realize that you're looking for a noun and that you may not want to do the add-context-to-a-general-word thing. But I'm posting anyway in the unlikely event that this gives you ideas.

1 person likes this.
  7. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I don't think there is a word that means the opposite of magic.

Why not make up your own word, you could reverse the letters and you'd get 'cigam' just a thought.

8. DanesDarkLand

DanesDarkLand New Member

Coin a word. take the two words you wish to use, like magic, and reduce, or negating, and find a combination of those words into one that strikes you as the One. Such as Ducgat, or negic. maybe Maducga. Just pieces of those three words and make your own coined word.

9. Winzett

Winzett Member

I've been thinking for a while now and I've decided to not use any name at all. The "anti-magic" is a newly discovered phenomena and only a handful of people have observed it. I'll probably avoid giving it a name at all and use description instead.

That's the plan for now.

Thanks for all your help!

10. BrandonCHFG

BrandonCHFG New Member

Winzett. If you change your mind, another idea would be to take whatever word you settle on for your magic, and attach a prefix that means "not". Like Mana and amana. You could even put in an apostrophe to "Fantasize" the word, "a'mana". Just a thought.