Need thoughts on religion based fiction. Right or wrong?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by TimHarris, Nov 17, 2012.

1. eclectic1993

eclectic1993 New Member

Hi,
    If you're writing fiction here is one idea that comes to mind.

One way to use religion if you have a specific character in mind is to create a derivative belief system. For example, you could create a cult/offshoot that is loosely connected to the main religion. During the story, secondary characters representing the main religion could 'denounce' this cult/offshoot and deny any association. You can then go as far out on a limb as you would like.

I'm thinking that Islam, Judism, and Christianity share a common belief about Abraham. Assume you create your own religious system from one of these three that 'rejects Abraham'. Secondary characters could get all upset at this blasphemous system. It may insulate you the writer from attacks by the main religions. After all, it's your character(s) that has/have the distorted religious viewpoint.

I'm a pragmatist. I don't want to offend any religious just in case one of them is correct when I leave this world. =) j/k

Regards,
    Chuck

2. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

I don't think you should be afraid to mock religion. There seems to be this world-wide idea that religion somehow has the privilige to be respected. I feel differently about that. We should be able to discuss and mock everything. The minute we feel threatened or afraid about doing so is the minute that the subject at hand gets scary.

Does this mean that I do not care at all for the beliefs of others? Actually, yes, I do not care. I wouldn't however provocate just for the sake of doing so.

It seems that this is about how far we can go in writing. I say that the dictionary is the limit, we should feel free and able to write anything we want. Sure, not everyone may like it, sure some utterly horrendous stuff gets put out (e.g. "How to train your child") but people should have the freedom to publish whatever they want.

Last but not least, the reaction some of the more touchy readers give to thes types of works usually says more about themi then it does about the author. Emphasis on usually.

3. Kaidonni

Kaidonni Member

Fortunately we have forums like this where advice can be sought, and I commend the OP for asking first. There are no stupid questions, and you have obviously learnt something from this thread. It shows you considered possible consequences and wanted to discuss how to go about things. Yes, people have the right to free speech, but with great power comes great responsibility, and people also have the right to think things through properly before they act.

When people bring up the word 'freedom' or 'right', I often cringe because people like looking for excuses for not thinking first. 'It's my right/freedom!' sometimes doesn't cut it as a good enough reason, as various topics aren't simple black and white I'm-right-and-you're-wrong, they require a certain understanding, a special approach. When you criticise something, especially a deeply held belief, it is wise to know where it comes from, and all the issues, rituals, etc, attached to it. The more you know, the more ways you can criticise it, and constructively. It only takes a single misinterpretation to make someone come across as a complete jerk, and lack of research certainly doesn't do anyone any favours. Of course, it doesn't mean people won't take offense to the most well-reasoned arguments or clever and tasteful jokes (some people take themselves too seriously), and someone will *always* take offense to something, but at least you are thinking things through.

You don't have to like something or someone, but you must be respectful in how you approach criticism of them. Even mocking something can be constructive if done just right, or it can be a total disaster. Look at Monty Python and the Life of Brian - I know Christians with deeply held beliefs who cannot understand why people take offense to the ending song. It's ludicrous, but it's also clever. I know I wouldn't be so cheerful if crucified!

EDIT: And yes, I decided to cut most of my post. I just don't get involved in this sort of discussion often; it can go bad ways quickly.