1. Michael Dennis

Michael Dennis New Member

Needing help with creative writing

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Michael Dennis, Feb 14, 2014.

Hello there. I am a grade 12 student currently at my school and I signed up for a Creative Writing class intentionally. To start off I am a very...linear person. It is hard for me to think outside the box. The reason I am posting here is that I am hoping that someone could help me out. I feel as if I am going to struggle. I am not a creative person at all but I want to become one very much. I respect people who can write well and draw and stuff, and am fascinated by the creative arts.

Is there any tips you guys can give me to maybe help me out to think more creatively or is it just something you know or are born with kind of thing. Thanks for the help in advance

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

You don't have to be particularly creative when coming up with ideas. Some of the best novels ever written were about normal, everyday things, so you can always draw from personal experience, no matter how boring it might seem to you. Creativity is in the execution. As Marcel Proust said, "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hi, welcome to the forum. I suggest you pick a skeletal theme and grow the story from there. Here is what I mean by skeletal theme:

Picked on kid gets even
    Monsters invade the school bathroom
    Cafeteria lady has a dark secret

Come up with anything like the above examples then start thinking how you can make a story about the theme.

4. Michael Dennis

Michael Dennis New Member

Thank you guys very much for your replies. They actually have helped me out more than you think

5. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Thinking 'outside of the box' is not as hard as it first seems. Take a simple premise like @GingerCoffee suggests and start asking yourself lots of questions. The first answers you come up with are usually the more cliched, common ones. Expend a bit more brain power by coming up with alternative suggestions and, eventually, you'll come up with something less along your normal lines of thinking.

Imagination can be exercised. :)

GingerCoffee likes this.