Tags:
  1. MJWhitty

MJWhitty New Member

New guy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MJWhitty, Jan 2, 2014.

Alright ladies and gentlemen, I'm new in town and looking for a place to crash, a job to do and friends to make. If anyone out there actually sees this and can give me some tips on how to utilize this website, or the internet in general, as a tool for writing, it'd be much appreciated. Other good websites or ideas for the real world are also warmly welcomed. Thanks for your time.

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Well, it depends exactly on what you're looking for, but I'd suggest looking around and joining in the discussions. Critique a couple stories or pieces in the writing workshop.

As far as other websites, I like looking at the websites for writer's magazines -- especially The Writer and Writer's Digest. Also check out twitter. If you're interested in traditional publishing, follow some publishers and agents. Regardless of whether you're interested in self-pubbing or traditional publishing, you can follow other writers, writing magazines, publishers, writing groups, etc.

In the real world, if you can find a live writer's group or critique group, that is awesome. Try meetup or google for groups in a city near you.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

all good advice from liz, as usual... mine is to follow it!

and should you find having a mentor will help, i always have time for one more mentee...

welcome aboard, MJ!

love and hugs, maia