1. spur09

spur09 New Member

New member- book recommendation

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by spur09, Nov 7, 2012.

Hey guys,

For my first post outside the introduction section I'd love to share with you all the novel that really got me interested in reading/writing-- A Fan's Notes by Frederick Exley. I first read it a couple years ago and it left me breathless. Since then I have read it four or five more times and it remains my favorite novel to this date. A quick synopsis doesn't do it any justice but it is a "fictional memoir" dealing with the author's struggle with alcoholism, devouring sports fandom, mental illness, and the rest that follows. It is written beautifully, and although the author states it is a fictional memoir, it gives off the aura of striking honesty. In my opinion, this novel accomplishes the rare feat of being both very funny and very sad (a quality that I feel many books strive for, but not many pull off).

If anyone else has read this novel, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. If not, go read it! You won't be let down.

-Spur09

2. Alexz7272

Alexz7272 Member

Ihave never read this book but I will definitly add it to my list! May I suggest Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom? Or Have a Little Faith? I had the same feelings/reaction as you stated regarding A Fans Notes, with his books. They were the books that shaped my writing and even perspective on somethings in my life. Just thought I would share as well :)