New Soul or Old Soul

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MrEmerson, May 18, 2009.

1. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Old or young, I don't know. I just know mine is twisted, but in the best possible way.

2. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I'm definitely an old soul.
    In my past life I’m sure I was a highly masculine woman, or a feminine man, someone who appreciated small details, and simple pleasures, someone grandiose with a strong sense of sexuality, someone unusual looking, someone who had trouble fitting in and maintaining a degree of normalcy. I often feel like I am ‘out of my body’, I don’t feel grounded, I day dream all the time.

3. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Old, definately
    Eoz I feel that too occasionally..I feel like someone else, (how corny...)

4. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I have very vivid dreams of being someone else.

In one, I was a blond child in a Victorian house. I was helping my mother set the table for company. I dropped one of her plates and broke it. She started screaming at me. She called me Gloria and said I had ruined her party. I was very upset.

In one I was a young African American man in the 50's. I lived in an apartment where the landlord hated me and wanted me gone. I would come and go by climbing the fence around the patio to avoid him. I was dating this beautiful woman who ran track for the local community college. I would sit next to the track and watch her run. She had the most beautiful legs. I loved her very much. I don't remember any real plot with this dream anymore. Just sneaking out to watch her run.

I had another Victorian dream where I was up on like the third floor and the house was on fire. I was in a stairwell with red carpet running down the stairs. The fire was spreading. I didn't think I would be able to get out. It was behind me and below me. I passed a window. Outside was a single oak tree in the green grass. I longed so much be to safely outside in it's shade...to be out of the inferno. I stopped running and just looked longingly at the tree while the smoke and fire closed it.

Anyone else have past life dreams like that...or dreams that could be past lives?

5. sophie.

sophie. New Member

That's really interesting Carmina. I've never had anything like that, but it makes you think!

6. Carmina

Anyone else on here have dreams or memories of past lives?

7. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

I used to believe I had an old soul. I was even hypnotized and started talking with a British accent.

Now I believe that the soul is a figment of the imagination. The hypnotism thing is easily explained as the subconscious. Most supposed episodes are either subconscious responses or, in the strikingly unexplainable cases, urban legends and outright frauds. (People supposedly speaking in ancient Gaelic or such things -- science has never proven one such claim true, but plenty have been debunked as trickery, deception, or simply made-up stories that never occurred.)

I have DNA from my parents, life experience from my birth, and eventually, I will die, leaving behind memories and genetic traces that will disintegrate and be eaten by plant and animal life.

If I'm lucky, I'll write a book and later generations will read it. If I'm extraordinarily lucky, they'll build a religion around me and 2,000 years from now, people will have wars about me and think I was God, which of course, I never claimed to be, but don't tell those people 2,000 years from now because they'll think I'm God. Even without that luck, it's possible that 10,000 years from now, some archeologist will dig me up and study me and find out about the lost ancient civilization I'm currently living in, while other people scream about the archeologist desecrating my bones, which of course, will feel nothing.

I have had dreams of past lives, and of people who died coming to talk to me. I've also had dreams about driving from the backseat of a car, dreams about ghosts chasing me, and dreams where I was hit by a car but got up and was fine. Most recently, I dreamed that a good friend of mine was walking around on stilts in a supermarket. Dreams are funny things. They're products of the subconscious mind. And my friend, I'm quite sure, has never walked around a supermarket on stilts.

I mean this with all due respect,

Charlie

PS. For the gentleman who spoke of being an organic being with a complex brain... I agree, except the part about it being depressing. I'm quite satisfied with the organic nature of my being and the complexity of my brain. We suffer pain, sure, but many of us get to have fun and be entertained and experience love and joy, and even write and read books. It's not nearly as depressing, say, as being a rock. If you find it too depressing, I suggest you get an old George Carlin album and listen to it. You might still be depressed, but at least you'll have something to do, and who knows, Georgie just might make this depressing existence a little easier.

8. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I went to bed on night, then woke up and went about my normal routine. I went to Jazz band practice, went out for coffee with my friend Alex. Went to school. Even read a bit of a book, though couldn't focus on it and kept falling asleep in class.
    People were acting so strangely. I thought I saw one person jump up through the floor and climb the wall vertically to reach the heating vent on the ceiling and crawl inside.
    It was actually pretty disturbing.
    Things got really weird then and I can barely remember some of the things that I saw.
    Well...
    My side started to hurt really bad and I fell asleep in class again.
    I woke up to someone shaking me awake in my car, which was now a twisted hunk of metal around a bridge on a twisting gravel road in the middle of nowhere.
    I was in shock?
    What? How did I get here?
    The man pulled me out of my car window and I limped to his truck.
    He then drove me home. To this day I have absolutely no idea what he looked like. I think he had glasses, but I'm not sure. My mother doesn't remember either.
    He somehow knew where I lived though, because I never spoke to him. I remember him telling me I was in a car wreck.
    I was then in my mother's house where I collapsed onto the floor. My mom drove me to the hospital and I remember asking my mother to "pray for my ex-girlfriend's mom" because she was dealing with depression. I've no idea why I thought of that.

It turns out that my entire day at school. The jazz band, the classes, the coffee with Alex NEVER happened. None of it. It was like something straight out of Jacob's Ladder.
    I just simply got into a car wreck (and I remember none of the wreck itself or driving either) and continued on to school in my head.

It was the single weirdest thing that's ever happened to me.

9. Carmina

That is wicked cool.

10. rory

rory Active Member

I believe everyone is an 'old soul', as you call it, because I believe there was life before this one, just like there will be life after this one. So when you get the feeling you knew someone even though you've never met them before, you were probably friends in that life before we came to this earth.
    I don't believe in reincarnation, although it would be cool to come back, but retain you past memories.
    But this is an interesting topic, as some people do seem to have 'wisdom beyond their years'. But how do you define wisdom? I know people who think wisdom is something that you have to practice, just like any other skill, something that is developed, so you can theoretically choose to be wise.
    I imagine upbringing has a lot to do with whether people define themselves as 'new' or 'old'. The amount of responsibility placed on someone at younger ages would increase the amount of life experiences and the maturity level to be more than expected for the given age... ? Thus resulting in the appearance of an 'old soul'?

Just my take on the matter. ;)

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

apparently, beyond 'old'...

12. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I have to be an old soul. I am clearly being punished for SOMETHING

;)

13. akania

akania New Member

Ancient.

14. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

Old, and probably not many more lifetimes to go through...

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Perhaps there is only one soul. Why should a soul be limited by linear time or by space? The universe is all one very complex wave function.

Which sort of makes the idea of "old" or "young" meaningless for that universal soul.

16. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

I had one where I was with my husband and son. I would say by the settings we were in the 1800s, early 1900s. It was so vivid, I wasnt even pregnant when i had the dream, but my son looks just like he did in the dream. We were in a store and it was being robbed, and I remember telling my husband and son to get out, and the robber shooting me. It was so vivid, and I was dying in the dream. Awful.

I've had a few like that. I definatly think I'm an old soul. I think we all keep the same soul, and that maybe we just get to live life over and over. Just different bodies. And that soul mates are real, and you can find them if your lucky enough too. I think I found mine in my husband. I dont mean that in a cheesy I love him gooey kind of way, its just unexplainable. Like two parts of a whole, I guess.