1. Pchew

Pchew Member

New Story Topic Idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Pchew, Mar 1, 2012.

Hi :), im new here, so hopefully this is the right thread to post this in XP.

So i have this idea for a story. Its basically about this boy. He lives in this place where everything is perfect. The sky's are always blue with very little clouds, at night you can see every single star. The grass is green, flowers, birds, butterfly's, etc. This place is beautiful. He lives in a town where all the houses are like, small round hut things. Like.... Frodo's house from the movies. I saw them for ever ago, but i think you get the point :). Anyways, this place is basically perfect. The people here do very little work, or very little hard work. The reason is because they have been making Golems to do their work for them for ages.

So, the day when the story starts, there is supposed to be a meteor shower. But no normal meteor shower. There is going to be a BUNCH of shooting stars during this time, and it only happens every few hundred years. So during the day, while the main character is doing his things, i can introduce characters, and etc. During that time, i can explain how his mom was summoned by the Palace when he was very little, introduce characters, give the feeling for the peaceful setting, describe and show how the Golems are used by people, and have people talk about the upcoming meteor shower.

So, at night, everyone in the town comes together, in the center of the town. They all watch the shooting stars. The night would be perfectly clear of course, so you could see all the stars. The main character would get distracted somehow, bored, or something, and walks away. While facing the direction nobody else is looking, he sees a star shoot down towards the ground. This is suuuuuuuper far away. this one is red though, and causes a silent red explosion in the horizon. The character would go off and tell all the towns people, but they would say that that happens sometimes, and it's ok. It causes no harm. The main character would say that this one was red, and such. The towns people would say that his eyes were just playing tricks.

Everybody heads off to go to sleep. It super dark out, and the main character looks outside the window before he falls asleep. The golems he sees out the window are all standing straight up and looking out towards where the explosion happened. When the town wakes up, the Golems are gone. And now, things start to go poop.

Right when they learn to fend for themselves with out the use of the golems, the missing golems return and attack the village. The main character and some of his friends escape, and now they have to stop the Golems and find what is causing all of this craziness. During that time, normal end of the world stuff would happen. War machines would be created, so pollution would fill the skies. More clouds, people attacking each other, people stealing, etc.

Tell me what you think, or if you have any ideas to expand upon this idea! :) Thanks! :)

2. Pink-Angel-1992

Pink-Angel-1992 Active Member

Nothing is perfect, improvements can always be made to things, so I don't think your world should be perfect. Maybe you could have the illusion that it is, but underneath there is some sinister plot going on, a group that just wants to control the world, which leads to an illustion that the world was perfect.

The idea with the golems kind of reminds me of an idea that's kepts coming and going from my mind (haven't got anything writen for it though, not even a concept). In this idea the human world (our world) colides with the demons and angel worlds (three worlds come one), which did something to the angels and demon, making them servents of the human race. Anyways the humans rely on the angels/demons to much that they can do very little themselves, but there is group, organisaion or something that refuse to have angels and demons as their servents, as they refused to be useless and helpless without them - they live in peace with some angels and demons as equals though. It may be an idea to have a group or even just one that prefers to do everything hem/herself; people that refused to rely on golems could help eveyone else to fend for themselves and/or your MC and his friends could be one who joins them on the quest. By the end of the story humanity could have (and probably would make sense) learned not always rely on the golems.

By the way, this should have probably gone in Plot Development. Hope any of this helps you. Nice idea anyways.

3. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

Any minute now Cogito will show up and say this, but...

Story ideas aren't really worth getting opinions on. You could post any idea here, and some people would love it, some would hate it, some would be indifferent. Every day people have a million ideas for books that will never be written, and no one can say whether they would have been any good or not. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. But first you have to make the pudding :D

If you're looking for people to say 'Wow! That sounds incredible! I'd buy that book!' then you're really just looking for validation and encouragement, which is fair enough, but it's not really up to other people to tell you whether you should write a story, or how you should write it. Write whatever you're inspired to write, and then when you've got a chapter of two, get some people to tell you what they think.

So, unless you have a specific question about a plot problem or an issue with starting, go write!

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. What matters is how you write it: the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's absolutely no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

I know you're anxious to share your story. Cultivate patience. Wait until you have a finished story.

5. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

^^ Right on cue :D

Cogito, do you individually draft these posts, or by now is it a form reply? Just wondering...

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Some things come up so often I have templates. However, I do make adjustments based on the exact situation.

Too many new writers are hung up on whether the "plot" (more accurately, the storyline) is inherently good or bad. There is no such thing. A great story can be based on the most mundane story concept, and the most outstanding-sounding story concept can easily flop and gasp like a wounded carp in the execution.

I believe it's too important a point not to make, even though (or because) it requires a quanum shift in the writer's perception.

7. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

Well, that does make a degree of sense.

People always confuse 'plot' and 'storyline', don't they? I'm sure there are hundreds of threads about it... ;)

8. Pink-Angel-1992

I've read that you should write for yourself; write exactly what you want and not let other sway you from it. If it's something that interests you and you really want to write about it, then you're bound to write a much better story then if you're not all that interested and by the end, they will at least be one person who'll like, which will hopeful lead to other also liking it. However, there's really no harm in seeking more inspiration to improve your existing idea, is there?

9. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

How do people go from living in huts to producing war machines that cause pollution in the span of one man's lifetime????

10. Pchew

Pchew Member

Thanks Pink-Angel :), that did help. And sorry Cogito and Nakhti :), i totally understand :).

11. Pink-Angel-1992

Your welcome! Let us know how things go!