1. Roisin

Roisin New Member

New to the game here

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Roisin, Jun 29, 2015.

Hi all,
    I used to work on upwork a lot doing ghostwriting and I am getting sick of writing 10,000 word ebooks for as little as 100 dollars.

I have my OWN story which I really want to tell- my recovery from Anorexia Nervosa and mental health issues, and I feel like I'm finally at a stage in my life where I can piece together my events and be ok with facing with the reality of it. So, publishing a book would be almost therapeautic to me.

Anyways, on plane ride home from Paris I began the book and wrote 1,700 words for the 1 hr 20 minute flight.
    I'm now up to around 6000 words and finishing the first chapter.

I was wondering what the recommended word count for an amazon book is? (for a reasonable profit). I'm hoping to write between 60-80,000 words.

also, can someone briefly and simply explain the process of publishing on amazon to me. Do you make much of a profit? etc. thanks.

2. rincewind31

rincewind31 Active Member

There's no magic number. The beauty of Amazon is you can write your story in as few or as many words as it takes. 60 to 80k words is fine, but then so is 40 to 60k. Just write your story, edit the hell out of it, cut away all unnecessary guff, get it professionally edited, get a really good cover, then throw it out there.

Roisin and sashawrites like this.
  3. Roisin

Roisin New Member

thanks for the reply. May I ask how/where you can get it professionally edited and if it is expensive? and also, is it free to post on amazon? sorry for the questions- again this is all new to me. I'm trying to read up websites but I'm sleep deprived after travelling at the minute and cant seem to find correct info. At the same time, I really want to continue this project.

also, is it ok to publish your book on amazon and then try to get a publishing company in your home company to publish it in print too?

I don't think I'm that amazing, but people said my story is really interesting and could have potential so I am willing to give this a shot.

4. rincewind31

It doesn't cost anything to publish to Amazon but if you're in KDP select you'll have to remain exclusive to them for 90 days so you wouldn't be able to tout it around. But if you bypass the KDP select route i dont think it's an issue. As for editors you can find them all over the internet, but you're better off looking for reccomendations really.

However if i were you, and before all that, i'd concentrate on writing a really good book that people want to read. That's far and away the biggest obstacle you'll come across. The rest you'll pick up as you go along.

5. Roisin

Roisin New Member

It's really ok if you don't want to, and I hope I'm not asking too much here but would you like to take a look at what i've written so far and tell me honestly if my book has potential? I don't know whether people are giving me too much praise or my self esteem is too low. Don't want to aim too high if I'm not capable.

6. rincewind31

You can post some in the relevant workshop on this forum and people will gladly give you an opinion. But if this is first thing you've written you might be better just writing your story, especially if it's therapeutic too. The more you write, the better it will be, and you'll probably want to go back and completely rewrite the beginning anyway.

Roisin likes this.
  7. Jack13star

Jack13star Member

Did you find the information you were looking for? How is that book coming?