New writer needs help with development??

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Illandrius, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Rob Rowntree

Rob Rowntree Member

Thank goodness for that. I didn't want to upset you or anything.
    I'm with the previous poster though, trying writing the beginnings.

2. Illandrius

Illandrius Member

Thanks Rob. I really will do that. I know exactly how I want it to start and exactly how I want it to end. I have pretty high hopes for this book.

3. Rob Rowntree

Rob Rowntree Member

Cool looking forward to seeing some of it.

4. Toomanypens

Toomanypens Member

I look at it like "streams" that form after the rain.

Put down the elements and ideas on moveable pieces of paper, draw a map of the nation, describe your characters and put them in their starting points. Then as writing you pick an idea and put it in when it fits.

Otherwise your writing needs to come from momentum of the characters and the way the world reacts to it.
    Humor is a great plot moving device, same with interesting conversations (shows like the walking dead often shape action around talking about stuff *you can record convo ideas on your phone etc*) and of course you have attraction or morality that might affect a character to do things they weren't intending on.

Jon snow only wanted to be a ranger and find benjin, but he couldn't kill the girl, got taken, fell in love. He then returned to the wildlings to save them out of the morality he learned, and got betrayed upon his return because of the seething discontent in the watch.

Now of course his story is then filled with convos with sam, interactions with alister, the other brothers and other leaders, which fleshes out his character and shows you who he is.

Use conversations, humor, relationships and beliefs to drive smaller scenes, then make them payoff in later scenes.

Just tell each scene as if its leading somewhere that will show more of the character.