Newbie author

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by painty, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Ms. DiAnonyma

Ms. DiAnonyma Active Member

Yeah, sounds like sound advice above... I've found (and found with other writers) that keeping in mind the themes that you think are part of the story can help too, but that migth be more on the planner side of things...

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I've heard of Outlander - it's supposed to be pretty good. I tried to read it once but couldn't get past the first 50 pages... I'm not really into historical fiction and that one kinda read like that to me lol. I do wanna give it another go some time though.

3. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

I have read all of the Outlander books, including the one recently published. Interestingly enough, I started the series with book 2 instead of book 1 and fell in love with the characters and the story (that book also has the reputation of being the closest I've ever come to crying over a book). Over the course of the summer before high school and through high school I continued to read the next 6 over and over again. Last year, I decided that I couldn't call myself a true, die-hard fan if I hadn't actually read the first book. I read it (Outlander) and...I was disappointed. The first book is probably the worst in the entire series, but it just gets better and better. Unfortunately the most recently published one isn't on my top favorites list out of the series, but it's still better than the first.

I definitely encourage you try to them out! Diana is really a fantastic story-teller and you're almost forced to appreciate the history incorporated.

--
    Edit: I just reread my first message and I realize that I'm essentially saying the same thing just in more words. So sorry!

Mckk likes this.
  4. Triad Editing

Triad Editing New Member

Read other books and think about what is memorable about the characters. I think about Dickens a lot - he often had characters with some very specific detail to help the reader remember them. It doesn't have to come up every time you mention the character, but I find that focusing on that one character detail helps me stay focused.

painty likes this.
  5. Gabcy

Gabcy Member

As mentioned a few times reading helps as well.

If I ever feel stuck I just reread one of my favorites.

painty likes this.
  6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I didn't realise Outlander is a series actually. Maybe I'll just have to start with Book 2. Would I be missing much by skipping the first book?