1. Vignette

Vignette New Member

Newbie here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Vignette, Oct 3, 2006.

Hello, I'm obviously new to the forum.
    I write mostly poetry, pantoum to be exact. I love forums and a writing forum is a perfect choice!

2. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

Nice to have you Vignette. One thing though, what is Pantoum?

3. Vignette

Vignette New Member

Borrowing an explaination from Wikipedia:

The pantoum is a rare form of poetry similar to a villanelle. It is composed of a series of quatrains; the second and fourth lines of each stanza are repeated as the first and third lines of the next. This pattern continues for any number of stanzas, until the final stanza, which usually contains the first and third lines of the first stanza as its second and fourth lines. Often, the final stanza's fourth line is the poem's first, and the third line of the poem may or may not appear as the second line of the final stanza. Ideally, the meaning of lines shifts when they are repeated although the words remain exactly the same: this can be done by shifting punctuation, punning, or simply recontextualizing.

The pantoum is originally Malaysian and is infrequently adapted to English.

As the pantoum is relatively rare in English, it is sometimes difficult to find examples, however, in recent years, there have been some American poets like John Ashbery, Donald Justice, David Trinidad and Colette Inez who have done work in this form.

4. lioness1612

lioness1612 New Member

Welcome, Glad your here! Look forward to reading your work.