Tags:
  1. Dreamwalker

Dreamwalker New Member

Newbie in need of encouragement

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dreamwalker, Oct 24, 2017.

I decided to find a forum for fellow creative writers because I find myself dreading the writing process instead of being passionate as I once was. I began writing fictional stories when I was ten years old. My goal, my passion, my drive in life was to become a published author. Nineteen years later, I still haven't reached my goal. Not from lack of talent, but from fear, lack of motivation, frustration, and burn out.

Last month I decided to work from home and became a freelance writer, as well as running my own blog. But this has turned my writing into a job and I almost hate it now. I hate this drive to make money from something that was once a hobby. I could just stop and get a "real" job outside the home, but then I know I would stop pursuing my dream of being a writer because I would no longer have the time.

So, is anyone else struggling with this? Whether you are or not, I could definitely use some friends or just people to talk to who are in the same business, whether it's creative writing, blogging, or whatever.

2. pyroglyphian

pyroglyphian Word Painter

Hello, and welcome. My sympathies; I used to struggle with this, albeit in music.

That look when the process of monetising the thing you love destroys the love you have for it: :bigfrown:

The cruel twist is that if you don't love it you probably won't produce your best work and so will reduce your commercial chances anyway.

Determined not to fall into the same trap with my 'writing career', embryonic though it is, I write simply for enjoyment. Paradoxically I'm achieving more through not trying to achieve anything than perhaps I would if I was really going for it. It's all just play at the end of the day; maybe try not to put so much pressure on yourself; return to the simple pleasure of writing for its own sake; recover your original enjoyment.

Go well. :supercool:

3. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

Welcome, I doubt I will offer any light at the end of the tunnel. While I enjoy writing for entertainment, the few jobs I have had with the local newspapers have all been a lot of work for low pay. I have been fortunate with what I have been able to write as far as my interests go, totally discourage at what an Editor has to chop for space. At this point I love telling any story without a word count, or one that has to be shortened for space.

Find something you're passionate about that you can't wait to share, the rest will follow.

I also go with the concept that if you have nothing to say there is no reason to write.

4. Dreamwalker

Dreamwalker New Member

Thank you both for your encouragement. It's nice to be reminded that I'm not the only one going through this. While I'll stick with my blog and novel, I've decided to find work elsewhere instead of freelance writing. I might do some on the side, but I can't risk it draining me of all drive and passion toward my writing. Not to mention that it isn't making nearly enough money to replace a real income. Anyway, I appreciate what you both have said!

pyroglyphian likes this.