1. AA_Institute

AA_Institute New Member

Newbie saying Hi!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AA_Institute, Oct 4, 2011.

I joined today, hoping to pick up some writing skills from friends here as I go along.

I have written a couple of novels in the past, like 5 and 6 years ago, but I personally didn't think too highly of them. I then took a career break after my daughter was born wanting to spend some quality time with her cos she's my only child. Now I really want to make up for all that lost time and get back on the writing game again, as it's what I really enjoy. My main problem is english was not my native language and I only learnt it during my teenage years, and now I want my novels to become international bestsellers! :D

The other trouble I have is not knowing whether to pitch my writing in an American style or a British style. I'm too much of a movie addict but I only watch American hollywood films, yet I live in the UK and am exposed to posh English in my everyday existence... so here again I face another fine dilemma!

2. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Welcome!

4. AA_Institute

AA_Institute New Member

Thanks.....:)

5. Kash

Kash New Member

Hi AA, There've been numerous cases of writers creating their works in their native language and then translating them. I'm not sure if that's the best idea, but it's worked for several international bestsellers.
    Re English, I'd say you've got a fair chance either way you go. Publishes in the USA probably outsell their English counterparts, so perhaps you should target the USA market, yet I believe the competition to be higher in the USA. It'll be hard work either way, so just ready yourself for the trek to publication!
    K.

6. AA_Institute

AA_Institute New Member

Appreciate your advice. Yup, it sure is competitive out there, but then what isn't nowadays? :) My own motto is that all the best movies have yet to be made and all the best stories yet to be written. I've been reading posts from everyone here these past couple of days and already I'm motivated to start plotting my novel. :)

I need to get an avatar. Like your shoes

7. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

Hello, and welcome to the Writing Forums! :)