Newcomer's Game: THE ORB OF PYRITUS

Discussion in 'Archive' started by losthawken, Feb 3, 2012.

1. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Corporal James Farmer (Atlas)

“Dammit!”

The powerful kick sent Atlas tumbling backwards into nearby foliage. He’d never been kicked that hard before in his life, and he was sure it would have broken some ribs if he hadn’t been wearing his vest armour.

The majority of the enemy soldiers had been killed in the blast, but the four ahead of him seemed to be in fighting shape. As Atlas struggled to free himself from the tangle of branches, the soldiers quickly approached him with their weapons in the air. He managed to cut one of them down with his rifle, but the other three took the opportunity to close the remaining distance.

“Fine, you wanna fight that way?”
    Atlas pulled Thatratar from its sheath, testing it with a few swings. It felt as powerful as ever in his hands, and he was almost too eager to hack down the men in front of him. One of the soldiers took one look at the five-foot blade and turned tail, abandoning his weapon on the way. The other two stopped their advance in surprise, and then lifted their shields into a defensive posture.

Atlas swung the blade, ramming it into a raised buckler. The man might as well have lacked a shield completely; Thatratar cut straight through the wood and into the unlucky soldier. The momentum from the same swing forced the screaming man into his companion beside him, causing them to fall to the side in a heap.

"Nobody moves or your leader dies!" Burstion’s voice came from a thin haze of smoke ahead of him.

Atlas moved forwards, sword in his hands. The smoke slowly settled, allowing him to see what looked like a paused movie. The General was facing the enemy leader, with his sword out in front of him, and Burstion had somehow managed to get behind the man, pressing a flaming sword against his throat. The leader had frozen in place.

Atlas couldn’t help but smile. “Now who’s the statue?”

But the victory was short lived.
    Without any warning, the ground beneath Atlas’ feet began to quake, forcing him to stumble to the side.

“What the –!”

A layer of dirt started to rise, and then burst violently, showering him with dirt and stones. An enormous, black, circular head began to rise out of the ground, hissing as it did. It hesitated for a second, seemingly to angle itself, and then burrowed out of the earth at breakneck speed. It barrelled through a couple of large trees, and squashed some of the remaining enemy troops.

To his dismay, Atlas noticed that it had grown large sheets of overlapping bony armour along its entire body. He wasn’t going to be able to cut it in half this time.

The snake slithered through the undergrowth, circling around the battlefield. It took less than a second for it to surround the entire group, walling everyone inside. It raised its head, looked down at its prey, and hissed.

“What the shit?”

2. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Magnafire Drake Vs Erif Angam.

The knock to the face had staggered him briefly and he snarled at being called a ‘Half-Lizard.’ But bringing up Blade Edge in his defence had bought some time for Riley and Atlas to surround the leader of this other force. The ground trembled beneath his feet; he tightened his grip on Blade Edge.

‘Remember that dead Snake we saw,” muttered Drake to his sword. It finally burst out of the ground, as black as the night it loomed over him. He froze solid, whispering “Serpentine, in its most twisted form.”

Embrace me, Embrace your destiny

‘No,” answered the Magnan in his thoughts. So Erif is no longer sleeping.

The Magnan moved so that he was directly in front of the snake’s head. He hissed something in the language of Edge. He was still shaking. He had faced many things but even to this day, the Serpentine haunt him...

A massive coliseum occupied the Reel City, the most southern part of the Black Dragon Empire.
    I was only sixteen, with flimsy sword and shield. I a faced being of contempt. The fight is a blur; all I can hear is the chants of the crowds, as a sword wraps itself around my arm. A scar still with me now. Here I stand in the wake of a massive Serpentine. I will kill it.

He drew on a power, ancient and unyielding; in the language of Edge, flames erupted from him, a fiery visage shaped like a dragon, wings beating the air like a drum, consumed by shadow. The symbol of what I once was, how fitting. It flew at the snake, slamming into its head, erupting into a shower of flames. Magnafire watched it reel slightly before it darted towards him, fangs bared. I have returned.

The Magnan slipped into the dark abyss of his thoughts. Watching the immortal spirit of Erif take him over, leap onto the front of its head, and began slashing with the stone side of the metone blade. He surged with mental strength and forced Erif back, he dropped off the head as it lowered and landed with an elegance that made him smile, he felt a rupture of pain but even then, he had felt worse.

I thought I lost you, Drake; your thoughts were a void. I felt its presence.

‘It was Erif, he took over me. That eruption of power shook him awake,’ answered the Magnan in his thoughts.

It wasn’t Erif... it was Provenance. It’s hunting me.

Magnafire’s eyes widened, the stone side of Blade Edge had left a massive mark on the snakes face, and dark blood trickled down its large jaws and onto the fangs. It was sizing up the others.

And so my destiny finally decides to face me, I am at war with myself...

3. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Greywind Raven-Ryder

Greywind perched at the edge of the cliff and peered down at the entrance to the cave. His eyes went to black and seeped a heavy grey mist as he looked through the etherverse at the events deep inside the cavern.

Magnalian was a powerful sorcerer, but a poor warrior and even poorer strategist. He had gravely underestimated the warriors that sought him. He had underestimated many things.

Greywind pondered as he watched the events unflolding. What was he to do? Two groups were converging in the caves; Raef was watching the second group fight each other, and now they also fought Magnalian’s serpent. They would be fools to let that creature escape alive again.

Greywind believed Magnalian had the power and malice to make good on his threats against him, but he had little faith that the summoner would ever allow him back to his home world of Terrafel. Why then should he do his bidding?

No, he couldn’t serve the maniac forever. He would have to take the Orb for himself, then he could force Magnalian to return him, or perhaps even have the power to return himself and leave this godforsaken world. But it would not be easy; he needed time to prepare.

There were several of Magnalian’s foes he thought he may be able to trust. The girl with the tiny machines and the man with no magic were of noble heart and he could see in them that they had enough strength of will and cunning to make up for their lack of powers. The winged creature also reminded him of the beneficent Hoi of his home world, both in his purity of heart and his animal like features.

Then there were others, more powerful but twisted in soul. Worst of all was the one called Igor, when Greywind looked at him he could see the gluttony of souls that filled him all screaming with rage. Similarly the commander of armies called Roderick had great strength but was hindered by his crooked soul. They could be used, but they certainly couldn’t be trusted.

In the cave he watched as the girl with the sword of elements, bowed before the tall blue man. Her soul turned in on itself and crumpled under the weight of her grief as she pleaded for her death. The warrior would oblidge her, Greywind was sure. Resembling a lizard Hoi the creature seemed like one who revered valor and honor, and had little patience for weakness.

Greywind had to act quickly, he needed every chess piece he could find to defeat Magnalian.

“Raef! Come to me quickly!” he called. His appearance faded into vapor as he shifted his whole being into the etherverse. Immune to gravity his ghostly form leapt from the cliff and sped as straight as an arrow through the canyon wall into the cave.

In a burst of vapor he appeared just long enough to grab Eslana and vanish with her back into the etherverse. He carried her in a blink to Pyree and Faramar where he released her back into the physical world just behind them.

“You are not alone, you three,” he called, hidden in the darkness. “There are many here that want only to return to their own homes. But the path back takes us to the evil one that brought you here. He must first be defeated. Please do not surrender. Do not give up until he is vanquished; for the sake of your loved ones in the worlds beyond, and for all of our sakes.”

4. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Relagator Thum

"WHAT DO YOU WANT!" The female screamed throwing down her sword. "I am of no threat to you! I didn't harm you, I didn't attack you! You came after me, and your friend tried to kill me! All I wanted was to get away," She yelled walking towards him.

"I'm just trying to help a friend! There is a man out there, in this strange and stupid world, lost because I did something wrong." The female started crying, tear flowing freely from her eyes.

What is it with females and cryng? Thum wondered.

"He has lost himself, and I lost him. He was the only friend I had here." She moved towards him, Thum readying his weapon, "But you! You have to follow me, to attack me. Well fine! Kill me if you must! Where will it get you? What will you have accomplished?"

I'll have the orb for a start.

The female reached him and dropped to her knees.

"Kill me. At least I won't have to feel this pain anymore." She said before dropping her voice to barely more than a whisper. "I don't even know if I can fix Jor'Reda..." She lowered her head, wiping more tears from her face. "I'm ready for my fate."

Thum smiled.

Anybody who knew Thum or knew of Thum or had even heard of Thum - and that was a lot of people - knew that this smile was never followed by anything good. Reaching down Thum picked the female up by the wrists, bringing her up so they were eye to eye.

"Haha. Are all human females this weak? Do you have no honour? You want me to kill you because you've had enough? Ha! To kill you would be a kindness, something I do not endulge in. No. You will suffer for your weakness. I will make you a T' galian slave. Then you will know what it feels like to have had enough." Thum reached round to his belt trying to find his chain when a cloud of vapour appeared. The female was whipped from his grasp as the cloud dissapeared off behind him.

Thum turned searching for his stolen trophy. From within the darkness he could hear a voice.

“You are not alone, you three. There are many here that want only to return to their own homes. But the path back takes us to the evil one that brought you here. He must first be defeated. Please do not surrender. Do not give up until he is vanquished; for the sake of your loved ones in the worlds beyond, and for all of our sakes.”

So some one else was planning something as well. Thum didn't mind. As soon as he was near the orb he could place his beacon and everything nearbye would be transported to his star cruiser and the T' galian horde it contained.

5. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Eslana Forcanus

Eslana didn't know exactly what happened right away. In a moment, she had been yanked up by her wrists by the ugly lizard thing. The next moment, she was somewhere else, and had been grabbed by another person. She wasn't sure how she had gotten where she was, but she turned to whoever had saved her to thank him, and suddenly remembered something.

"Jor'Reda!" The sword had been left back at the cave. Hearing her voice echo, she realized they were still in that cave, or one like it. She also found that she was with Faramar again, but she wasn't sure how he felt about her yet. Not only had she destroyed his sword, but now it was left back in the other room of the cave.

"I need that broken sword," Eslana yelled at the man who had rescued her. "It's important!"

The man nodded, vanishing in a cloud, and returning moments later, the two pieces of Jor'Reda in his hands. Eslana took them, holding them close.

"I'm sorry Faramar, I had just set out to fix Jor'Reda... I think I know a way, but I need to find a Break in this world."

"You must defeat the evil one who brought you here first," her rescuer said.

"Look here sir," Eslana said, turning and facing him. "I understand that this 'evil one' you speak of needs to be defeated, but some of us have bigger morals in our hearts, and our less concerned with the magical power that keeps trying to tempt us through use of our minds. Power is great, but its not everything. And if you need something that this evil guy is guarding, then you aren't worthy of getting it at all, because otherwise you'd be smart, strong, and good enough to get it on your own."

Eslana put Jor'Reda under her arm and looked at Faramar. "I will fix your sword friend." She nodded. "You have my word."

6. Rapaz

Rapaz New Member

Igor

Igor was standing near the crater leading to the cave where Thum and, just a few moments before, a weeping woman, were.

Everything that happened after he threw his psychic wave against the female warrior had allowed him to take control of his body once more. I need to become stronger, I can't keep letting the souls from my past get in my way. Igor thought to himself.

You need to absorb someone's soul. Not just a local villager, someone powerful. whispered a voice in his head.

Despite instantly repressing the voice, Igor was tempted by its' words. The woman warrior would've been the perfect prey, but she was now gone.

Jumping into the crater, slowing his fall by focusing some psychic force under his feet, Igor re-established the link with Thum.

I'm very sorry about what happened there, I lost control. It won't happen again. he said to his companion. You deserve an explanation but it will have to wait until we catch a break.

Moments of mind inspection told Igor that Thum was actually having fun, except for the part where his opponent ran away like a coward.

Should we go after them?

7. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

Rodrick felt the white hot dagger caress against the skin of his throat. keeping as still as possible, he took one hand slowly off of the pole of his Bardiche and raised it in surrender. "I--" BOOM Rodrick felt the earth tremble, before a writhing mass of black scales erupted from it's depths. almost simultaneously, Rodrick felt the man's grip on the dagger become more tense, scanning the rest of the man's arm he realised that the sudden appearance from the beast had caused the man's muscles to contract in surprise. He released Lorin throughout his body, feeling it's raw power coursing through him, he felt invincible. In the blink of an eye Rodrick flicked his head backwards smacking the man directly in the face and distancing his neck from the flaming dagger, an instant later he had ducked under the man's guard and punched him square in the solar plexus with Lorin infused strength, a blow that could kill a lesser man. Grinning with triumph, Rodrick delivered a lightning-quick, bone shattering, jump-kick towards the man's head.

Jarvis was far too underpaid for this sort of work. He reached this conclusion after he tackled a man from the future who killed the majority of his men, had some kind of dragon priest punch him in the back of the head with a flaming fist, and woke up to see a Sarcian snake god erupt from the depths of hell before him. Also his boss was an arsehole. Lifting his aching frame from the ground, he pulled two daggers out of his leg sheaths and stared at the glistening figure from his nightmares before him.

8. Areadrill

Areadrill New Member

Faramar

As Faramar and Pyree walked toward the light, they a heard the sound of something falling to the ground behind them. The peace keeper quickly turned around to face whatever it was and, once again, confusion took over his mind.

Eslana?

She was there, just kneeling on the ground, and she seemed to be talking to someone, however, it was too dark for Faramar to see who it was.

"I need that broken sword, it's important!" she said.

Suddenly, the two pieces of his once "weapon of choice" matterialised in front of her. Now he could see a man beside her. His skin was darker than the one from the people he had already met in this strange world. He wore a brown tunic and a small brown satchell.

“You are not alone, you three. There are many here that want only to return to their own homes. But the path back takes us to the evil one that brought you here. He must first be defeated. Please do not surrender. Do not give up until he is vanquished; for the sake of your loved ones in the worlds beyond, and for all of our sakes.” the man said

So it was someone who took me to this strange and twisted world. Moreover, there are more people in the same situation than Eslana, Pyree and me! he thought

"I'm sorry Faramar, I had just set out to fix Jor'Reda... I think I know a way, but I need to find a Break in this world." Eslana said in a tone of grief and despair.

Faramar's head started to pound heavily. She was really set out to make things right! He had never met someone so determined, so selfless as to put other's problems ahead of their own. In his heart, he immediately forgave Eslana for breaking the sword. Someone like her deserves nothing but to be praised for her selflessness.

"You must defeat the evil one who brought you here first" the man said.

Eslana started to argue with the misterious man, however, Faramar was still awestruck by her latter statement to be able to pay attention to her words. Then she looked at him, completely determined.

"I will fix your sword friend. You have my word." she said

Faramar took her hands in his looking his companion in the eyes
    "Eslana, you are a true friend." he said "However, I think we should listen to this strange man. If someone is powerful enough to send so many people here from so many different places, than he must have the power to fix my sword."

9. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

Riley Burstion

Oh, how the tables do turn.

Fate was a cruel thing, Riley concluded. Mere seconds before, he had disabled what seemed to be the leader of the opposing army. Now, in a horrifying twist of events, he was left bruised by the man's blows, and staring into the gaping maw of a massive serpent.

He had fought snakes before, but never one this massive. Pitch black and enveloped in a bone-like armor, it was truly a sight to behold. It was big enough to destroy the entire group in a matter of seconds if something wasn't done.

Unfortunately, it seemed to want to kill Riley first.

Slowly the snake moved its head closer, swaying slightly with a hypnotic rhythm. It was now inches from Riley's head. Lighting quick, its forked tongue shot out of its mouth, tasting the air before it. Strangely enough, it recoiled for a moment.

None moved as they watched the event unfold.

The serpent slowly advanced again. It seemed cautious, almost.

Staring directly into each other's eyes, man and serpent faced off. Suddenly, Riley noticed a change in the snake's eyes.

The serpent laid its head down before Riley. Everyone could hear a slight rumble go throughout the snake's body.

Why isn't it tearing me apart? he thought, confused by what he was seeing. It took a moment before a theory popped into his head. Is this a side effect of being possessed by the Demonicri? Damn. Floran's steward did mention that the creature had messed with the very core of who I am. Perhaps this is a result.

To be sure that this wasn't just wishful thinking, Riley decided to test his theory. He placed his hand on the bony plate that covered the top of the snake's head, much to the surprise of everyone else around. Riley had no idea what would happen, but that didn't mean he wasn't going to try.

"Serpent, you have no business here. We are not food for you to devour at your leisure. You will stop this rampage and return to where you came from."

Hoping desperately that he wasn't about to be demolished by an angry snake, Riley tried to make himself sound as commanding as possible. He was astonished when, out of the blue, a hissing voice filled his mind.

Your soul has been corrupted by demons, child. Power resides within you. It is a familiar feeling to me; you feel like my master.

Slow to react to this extraordinary event, Riley soon replied, Master? You were sent by someone?

Yes, it replied, raising its head slightly and looking toward the east. The other men backed up slightly at this movement. Continue east. You'll find your way. Now go, boy. I will let you live.

Before Riley could even reply, the snake shifted its massive coils and slowly began to unravel. A minute later it had slithered back down the hole it had appeared from, leaving everyone in confusion and shock.

Riley, as perplexed as he was before, looked east. They needed more information.

Seconds after the serpent had disappeared down its tunnel, its voice resounded through Riley's mind once more, and everyone else's as well, if their surprised expressions were anything to go off of.

You are fighting the wrong battle, children.

10. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Seconds after the serpent had disappeared down its tunnel, its voice resounded through Riley's mind once more, and everyone else's as well, if their surprised expressions were anything to go off of.

---

The Magnan reeled in his thoughts. I am betrayed. No, you are betrayed. He lunged at Riley and grabbed him by the throat. Erif hissed, “You are with the Serpentine. A sudden conclusion. You are working with them. That means – If Riley wanted to betray us, he would have done it sooner. Why do you defend him? You are driven by blind hatred, Erif. Why do you think?”
    There was no immediate response from Erif as he tightened his grip on the man’s throat

Magnafire!

Erif drew Blade Edge and raised it above his head, “I will strike you down. Your treachery ends here. No, I won’t let you!”

The Magnan relinquished his grip Blade Edge. The sword clattered as it hit the ground, kicking up dust in the process. He realized he still held Riley’s throat and let go. “I’m sorry, I’m no longer in control. Erif is waking up. I don’t know how much longer I can contain him. I’m sorry Riley; I know you’re not my enemy. You are Erif’s enemy.”

Magnafire, you know you can’t win. Erif’s surge of power nearly brought me and Provenance into conflict.

As I was aware,” muttered Drake as he picked up his sword, and sheathed it. “Forgive me, Riley. Is all I ask.”

11. losthawken

Greywind Raven-Ryder

"I think we should listen to this strange man. If someone is powerful enough to send so many people here from so many different places, than he must have the power to fix my sword."

“Your friend is a warrior, with or without his weapon. Watch yourself Eslana and be sure that you are not mistaking your own self-pity for ‘bigger morals’,” Greywind had little patience for the ingratitude that the girl showed him. Perhaps this was all a mistake.

Greywind felt a horrible, familiar twinge through his being. Looking through the etherverse he saw Magnalian’s invisible seal, that had been burned onto his chest, come alive. Curse the Summoner! Would he never leave him be?

“He is summoning me. I will return, but until then Raef will be your guide. He…” Greywind was cut off as he was pulled bodily into the presence of Magnalian.

A moment later a fluttering of wings could be heard in the darkness of the cave as a large black bird, almost invisible in the darkness, settled near the threesome and looked at them with a sideward glance.

---

“I do not like having to summon you for information boy,” Greywind heard the displeased sorcerer’s voice before he was even aware of his new surroundings.

“You asked me to report ill news to you, Summoner, and until but a moment ago there was none. I watched the ones in the ravine move away from you into the caves and was about to come of my own volition to warn you of the treachery of one of your fel pets.”

“Oh really now?” The sorcerer paced around Greywind stroking his beard. Taking in their surroundings, Greywind was surprise to find that he had been summoned to a small clearing. Behind him he noticed Magnalian’s single level stone residence.

“My raven watched as your black serpent bowed before the one of them. It betrayed you and sent them this way. They will be on the move soon.”

“Is that so?” Magnalian pulled the orb from beneath his robes. Holding it aloft it beamed a brilliant white as he summoned the great serpent to himself.

With burst of wind and a loud crack the black creature was suddenly before them. It was confused only for a moment before its black eyes found Magnalian. Once again the serpent bowed low before the holder of the Orb.

Greywind had not seen the creature with his own eyes since it had faced the one called Atlas, it was now covered with bony plates that protected its body. But it also now had a broad frill of several spiny plates that rose from the base of its neck and a still bloody scar across its face.

“Tell me serpent, did you allow my enemies to go free?” Magnalian demanded.

The serpents tongue flicked and its attention darted to Greywind and then quickly back to Magnalian.

‘Though I am your servant I am still bound by the laws of my kind,’ the creature’s voice hissed in the two men’s minds. ‘The one with the tainted soul is not mine to devour.’

“And then did you send them to my abode to destroy me?” Magnalian questioned as rage began to boil in him.

‘I did,’ the serpent replied in tone that almost seemed joyful.

“YOU BLOUNDERING WORM! WHY!” as he bellowed a bolt of energy leapt from the Orb and struck the creature on the nose. The frill plates at the serpents nack instantly snapped forward and covered its face like a multifaceted mask. It glared at Greywind through the barred eye holes in its hideous helm.

The creature rose slightly and retracted its deathly mask. It looked at the sorcerer before it and replied calmly, ‘I am the NASGAR, I live only to make war and to devour. I serve for nothing other than this. They will come to you and I will all crush their bones in a glorious feast, that is my purpose and that is my plan. Only the corrupted one I cannot touch. Separate him from the rest and they shall all be mine.’

Were it not for the Orb in his hands Magnalian would have been intimidated by the terrible creature. Instead he seemed to perceive that its wickedness matched his own.

“Very well then,” he replied with a smile, “As my servant you shall have no end of such joys. Greywind will take care of this tainted one, as you call him, and you shall have the rest.”

Greywind’s stomach knotted. This did not bode well for his plans. Then, almost as though Magnalian could read his thoughts, he turned to him.

“And you, Wraith, will obey me without question,” distrust and malice saturated the sorcerer’s voice as he motioned with his hand.

Behind Magnalian suddenly appeared another creature. His heart sank as Greywind recognized it as a Tol-ha from his own world. The large reddish wolf was bound with chains and lay helpless on the ground. Waves of its own magic flames flickered over its body but were no use against its metal bonds.

Magnalian glanced at the serpent and gave a subtle nod. Needing no further direction the Nasgar pounced on the helpless creature piercing it with its fangs then crushing it in its mighty jaws. Tears streamed down Greywind’s face as he watched the horror. Neither Magnalian nor the snake could grasp the atrocity they had just committed, to destroy the soul of one of his innocent kin.

‘Thank you my master. I will serve you well,’ resounded the snake as it finished its meal in a single gulp and slithered away into the forest.

Greywind walked silently to the place where the wolf once lay. Its blood still saturated the grass. Reaching out his hand he touched the red stained ground with his fingers then brought them to his lips. The blood confirmed his fears; the Tol-ha was not dead. Just as in his own world, they could not truly die until their masters did. It was destroyed, tortured and mangled in the belly of the beast, but it still lived, and its master in another world would be suffering equally. Greywind silently swore to destroy both Magnalian and the Nasgar, and to return the Tol-ha to its master in his home world.

“Go boy, kill the one that hinders the snake, and if you are too weak… isolate him by whatever means you can so that the Nasgar may do his work.” Magnalian’s demands jarred Greywind from his dark oaths.

“Yes, Summoner,” he strained through clenched teeth before immediately disappearing in a puff of dark vapor.

12. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Eslana Forcanus

“He is summoning me. I will return, but until then Raef will be your guide. He…”

Without being able to finish his thought, the mysterious darker man vanished.

"I understand your reasoning Faramar," Eslana said, holding the two pieces of her friend's sword. "However, I distrust this person who holds such great power. And I'm not so sure I trust our mysterious 'smoke' person either. Whoever this powerful person is, he has control of the man who was just here, in some way. Either 'Smoky' is actually a servant of this powerful man, or he is trying to escape him. Whichever the case, do we all really want to be around when it happens? I'm sorry, I understand some of you are here for this 'power' that called you here, but I'm not."

She looked at Faramar. "I broke your sword Faramar. This man may have the power to do so, but he's going to ask something in return. I'm not. I will catch up to you once Jor'Reda is fixed. And I am confident I can fix it." She hugged Faramar. "Do what you must friend, but please be careful."

She turned away, and walked in the direction Faramar and the woman had come from. I'll fix Jor'Reda if it's the last thing I do.

13. Areadrill

Areadrill New Member

Faramar

"I broke your sword Faramar. This man may have the power to do so, but he's going to ask something in return. I'm not. I will catch up to you once Jor'Reda is fixed. And I am confident I can fix it. She hugged Faramar. Do what you must friend, but please be careful."

Faramar looked kindly at Eslana as she walked into the darkness of the cave. He could not stop her, he knew she was completely determined to fix Jor'Reda. He would gladly have gone with her, but he could not ignore the fact that a villain hid somewhere in this twisted world, and that he had the power to save everyone who was brought there unintentionally. It was somewhat his 'peace keeper instinct', he had to save those who were in trouble. And for that, he had to come to terms with this 'powerful man', wether that meant fighting him or not. Eslana would have been a big help for the battle, but it seemed her path lay elsewhere.
    As for the man with that appeared from smoke, he knew not if he was trustworthy or not, but he was certainly the easiest way to get to this man.
    In his mind everything was set, now he just needed a weapon. Suddenly, he remembered he was not alone.

"Well, it seems like we have found your way out, girl." Faramar said to Pyree "Will you accompany me on this quest?"

14. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Relagator Thum

Should we go after them? Igor whispered.

Yes. But first I want find some higher ground. My coms unit is useless but if I can find a high point my beacon may allow me to comunitcate with the elders. Thum whispered back. Leaping he cleared the whole in the ground in a few bounds.

He didn't like this new character. For starters he had stolen Thum's prisoner, no one did that. He also appeared to know quite a bit about the orb and who was currently in possesion of it. Thum wondered if he would except some form of deal...or he could capture and interogate him, either one worked.

Thum thought as he walked. What weapon should he ask the elders for? A gravity bomb would be useless if he was here, not to mention it required a ship to fire it from. He could ask for one of the relics but those were risky. The elders were very careful about releasing one of the relics.

No. What he needed was something to dissrupt the owner of the orb and those looking for it. An ocean bomb would suffice, and if he couldn't get one of those then a faurbeast would have to do. Thum continued walking before he realised he had forgotten something.

Igor, would you like to tell me what all that was?

15. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Corporal James Farmer (Atlas)

Atlas blinked.

The snake had left as quickly as it appeared, slithering down the hole it had created. And it had spoken.

Atlas didn’t know where to point his gun anymore. The snake could easily return and take them by surprise. The enemy leader was still standing, his axe-weapon in his hands. Five enemy soldiers, one of them an officer, lay on the ground, disoriented, but unharmed. And the General gripped Burstion’s throat with a look of pure hatred in his eyes. His raised sword wavered in the air, and then fell to the ground. The General’s expression changed from rage to mild confusion as he released his grip from Burstion’s throat.

“I know you’re not my enemy. You are Erif’s enemy.”

Atlas didn’t know who the hell Erif was, but what he did know was that the enemy leader was approaching them, axe in hands. He raised his rifle, pointing it at the man’s head.

“Don’t know when to give up, do you?” spat Atlas.

But the leader didn’t attack, or even raise his weapon. Instead, he holstered it on his back.

“Foolish boy. Can’t you see that we’ve all been misled? Are you so deaf as to ignore the serpent’s words?” said the man, crossing his arms.

“So you suggest we stop fighting? Go buddy-buddy against the snake’s ‘master’? Maybe I am a fool, but I’ll be damned if I turn my back on you,” replied Atlas.

The man scowled, “And we will all be damned if we fight each other! We have all been led here to this world, and yet we fight amongst ourselves instead of pursuing the one who sent the serpent?”

“Yet you ordered your soldier to attack me. Son of a bitch hypocrite.”

“And how was I to know that you weren’t the cause? Do you think I simply attacked for my own amusement?”
    The man turned and looked towards the east. The forest only grew denser in that direction; it was basically a jungle.

“No. But now I know the cause,” continued the man. “And I propose we cease our fighting. At least until we find the source.”

Atlas hesitated, weighing the odds in his head. Sure, the man in front of him was dangerous, and might have been trying to deceive him. Then again, the snake seemed to target everyone, including the man and the soldiers. Until Burstion decided to command the damn thing, Atlas didn’t realise that it was just a thrall.

If something was out to get them, and it had power over gigantic monsters, he would need all the help he could get, from anyone.

Atlas lowered his rifle, and the man smiled.
    “I’m glad you see reason,” he said.

Atlas glared back. “Don’t think this means anything. One false move and you’ll be eating lead.”

He holstered his rifle, and turned back to check on the General.

16. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

Pyree Lasstor

A moment ago, things had been so simple. She was following the signs of gravity control hoping for a technologically civilized entity, whether it was a flying man or a talking dog. Instead what she found had rocked her mind. A man who could teleport himself and someone else simultaneously all without the aide of space-time threads. If he had used them she would have known it. In a way though, it was exactly what she was looking for. What had he called it? A “summoning”, the archaic language made it sound cheesy, and uncivilized, when the technique actually showed immense knowledge of the workings of space-time. Nevertheless, he moved instantaneously like she could, and seemed to know about the portals.

It wasn't until Faramar stepped directly in front of her that Pyree was knocked out of her daze. He leaned down ever so slightly putting his face directly in front of hers. It was the determination in his eyes that shook her. She hadn't seen a stare like that since her father's.

He addressed her earnestly, with a dual tone of duty and sadness "Well, it seems like we have found your way out, girl. Will you accompany me on this quest?"

“I... Uh...” Pyree stifled a laugh as another archaic word caught her off guard. “Quest, huh? He did mention a great evil,” and great power she thought.

The power that brought her here and the power that could send her home. If she could get her hands on it science may never be the same again. She spun the cutting tool lightly in her hand and counted the threads she had left. Eight threads was still a lot, if she used them in an uncivilized fashion.

Pyree straightened up remembering her father's reaction the one time she laughed at that stare. More seriously she added, “I like the sound of this quest. Tell me, Faramar, do you like to travel slowly or take shortcuts?

17. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Erif/Drake

He holstered his rifle, and turned back to check on the General.

----

The Magnan turned away from Atlas.

I’m just a liability and you know it. I know it. Even my sword admits I’m lost. What have I become? I don’t deserve this. I led my men and women through the Darnese Dominion, and then into the scarred heart of the Darklands… the Celestial Desert. And this is what I get in return. The burden of carrying a spirit that wants, no lusts for vengeance, a spirit rival to the Serpentine, he wouldn’t be convinced of Riley’s trust. If I fall, Erif will strike. I can’t stop it. I need something to save me from oblivion. I need use the essence of the portals. Walk the Edge… again. It’s my only choice. Locate the source and I can drag my body after it… who I am kidding this would leave me vulnerable. I need these people. Strength in numbers, that’s what we are, The Wandering Army; Burnt, Broken, Lost, but still wandering, never ceasing and never giving in. Aren’t we all, Magnan? Aren’t we all?
    No, not these men, all driven by necessity and shift; fate tries to balance out but she only reels. This world, this manifestation is a poison upon all realms. Magic or otherwise. The fabric of reality is being torn apart and worlds are bleeding together. Who will step into the breach, whose hand will instigate consequence?
    We will see. We will all see.

‘Your thoughts trouble me.’

‘So they should, Blade Edge.’

Drake finally managed to speak to Atlas, “If you should keep that strange weapon of yours aimed at anyone. It should be me. My second spirit is awakening. I know you don’t understand. I don’t ask you to. But if I am lost, and if I attack Riley then you can kill me. Try to kill me. Even now my personality and soul is at war with it. I have a name Drake. Yes you do. What is it?” The Magnan sighed and gave no answer.

I don’t fear death. All I fear now is myself and what I will become.

18. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

Rodrick turned away from the man with the crossbow, hiding his grimace. His eyes made their way to the bloody canopy in the forest, then to the few men left gathering around him, some frightened, some outraged, all injured. They can't keep this up, they'll just hinder my goal. My goal. He thought, as he looked at the dark expressions of the surviving vigilant gathered around him. "Take Officer Jarvis and camp outside the remains of the portal, you will await my return. If you find any wounded along the way, end their suffering, we can't afford any weak links."

The soldiers looked at him, expressions of surprise clear as day on their faces, But eventually they turned and plodded through the blood-laced mud. Some broke off to assist Jarvis and the rest of the wounded, whilst the others looted supplies from their dead. Rodrick, now back amongst his unlikely companions, he decided now would be the best time to give them a proper evaluation.

The first man he en-counted was a cock-sure little weasel, but Rodrick had to admit, he had the weaponry, and skill to back it up. The black robed man seemed to also have and affinity for fire, but could conjour it in more extensive ways than he. However, he also seemed to be not of sound mind, as just at that moment Rodrick saw him staring at the ground and mumbling to himself, his eyes looked glassy, unfocussed. Rodrick tilted his head and gave the rogue that had snuck up behind him a good once-over, he looked dangerous and calculating, but Rodrick guessed that long, drawn out conflicts weren't his forte.
    After a few moments of pondering Rodrick concluded that they had also met recently and by chance, judging by they're almost diametric battle dressings and lack of any decent form of battle co-ordination. They need a system, and someone to manage it. he thought. After a few more moments spent pondering he drew himself up to full height, a rather imposing vision, and barked at his al-sorted companions: "Right you lot, it's obvious you're not the most sane bunch, but there's plenty of time to mumble to yourself and feel up snakes while we're travelling. Where's the bastard who sent that black bugger after us?"

19. losthawken

Greywind Raven-Ryder

Greywind took in the scene of scattered corpses and fire scarred vegetation. There had indeed been an epic battle here. Had it not been for that cursed snake the four men who were now banding together would certainly have destroyed each other in their foolishness.

If only these damned Orb seekers had stayed in their own worlds none of this would have happened. Greywind checked his emotions. No, most of these were as lost and confused as he was. It was Magnalian that was the cause, he was the true enemy.

From his vantage point in the trees above he watched the two parties begin to move. The remaining soldiers were collecting their wounded and retreating, while the four leaders seemed to be preparing to move.

‘Excellent,’ thought Greywind, ‘this will make getting rid of snake charmer that much easier. I need only wait for the opportune moment. ’

When the time came, he would take Riley that the snake might be lured. Timing would be everything. He needed his friends in the cavern to be prepared as well. There was much to be done.

“Raef my friend, I have work for you,” he whispered as his eyes changed to haze and blackness.

The raven vanished from the caves and a moment later was at Greywind’s side. “No Raef, I know it is your nature, but to take a sword from a dead man is a bad omen. Those men there will have little need of their weapons if they are moving West.”

An eerie fog moved through the underbrush of the jungle as Greywind jumped from his tree limb. His form changed to a fast moving vapor as he dropped, only to revert just before reaching the ground. Beside him Raef landed quietly and began to stretch and flex his limbs, his whole form growing larger as he did.

In moments the large raven had transformed into a horse sized creature with hunched shoulders that stood above its sloping neck, claws at the wrists of its wings and a black serrated beak.

Greywind deftly jumped onto the back if his partner and the pair shifted together into vapor as they flew toward the retreating soldiers. All that the men saw was a streaming dark cloud overtaking them. A moment later it was upon them. Dark taloned feet gripped two of the company and lifted them into the air before the cloud vanished with its victims.

Faramar and Pyree gasped as the now much larger bird reappeared in front of them bringing with it three men, two of whom where bound tightly in its claws.

“Take their weapons, and go with Raef beyond the ravine. Time is of the essence. I’ll explain more when I can, but now I must keep watch on the others,” Greywind called before vanishing once again from the back of his mount.

Raef gave a deep croak that echoed throughout the cavern as he cast the terrified soldiers before the pair. Their swords clattered to the ground as they cowered before the terrible creature that waited patiently for the winged man and the girl.

20. Areadrill

Areadrill New Member

Faramar

Faramar looked at the weapons in front of him.

«They're not Jor'Reda, but they will have to do for now.» he thought, wondering where Eslana was now, and wether she was being successful in her quest.

He picked one up and tested its balance. It was perfectly balanced. The peace keeper then proceeded to grab it by its black hilt and swing it a bit to get adapted. As the head instructor of the military accademy, he was proficient with all kinds of weapons, long or short range, so it was an easy task.

"These will do, thank you." he said to the mysterious man who kept appearing from smoke.

Faramar turned to Pyree. She seemed to be a tad confused about what to do with the sword. Instead of picking it up, she just gazed at it, as if she was trying to thoroughly analyze it.

"Do you know how to use one of these, girl?" he infered

As if suddenly awakened, the woman looked at him and simply shrugged. She picked the remaining sword up, which already seemed to be difficult to her and tried to swing it around. The sword's blade was about half her length and she could barely control it.

The "smoke man" and its strange mount were looking impatient, so Faramar took the sword from her and clasped it with his tail.

"I can teach you some techniques later, if we have time. Now, we should depart." he said

21. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

Pyree Lasstor

“Hahahahaha,” Pyree couldn't help but laugh out loud as the swell of events dragged her along. It was no small wonder she had been dazed earlier, blocking out the strange events to focus on the necessary information. She loved spelunking and rock climbing as vacation pastimes, but those adventures usually lacked sword clad barbarians and giant birds. The man who arrived in a cloud of smoke left again before Pyree could interrogate him about his teleportation technique.

Faramar took charge of the weapons since he was inclined enough to pull the sword right from her grip. She moved toward the large black bird that had carried two fully armored men easily. She couldn't stop the swell of events any more than she could the tide. A smile crossed her face, if the tide bowed down even to gravity, perhaps some keen manipulation of her own would suffice. She played with her bracelet to remind herself that she wasn't helpless after all. Pilots lived by manipulating space-time threads. She hoped her piloting skills transferred to... bird aviation...

“I'm just supposed to hop on and say giddyup then?” She asked the bird while doing so.

Apparently, that was exactly what the bird was waiting for. No sooner than she could grab hold, the bird made several awkward hops before taking flight. It's size and weight couldn't explain the movements it made, but Pyree stopped questioning little things like that long ago. The bird circled a few times for momentum before dashing off toward the small beam of light on the distant ceiling.

Pyree looked back to see if Faramar was following, when she felt something strange. The wind rushing past her and the cold air of the caves were normal. The strange sensation came from inside of her. She clutched the bird tightly as a dizziness overwhelmed her. Something was inside her head.

22. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Eslana Forcanus

Eslana studied Jor'Reda as she walked down the stream. After leaving the caves, and coming out at a river, she had finally found part of the river had split off, narrowing into a peaceful stream. She enjoyed walking through the cool water, having had enough adventure and problems for the day.

The sword was not made by anyone she knew, but that information was obvious enough given the circumstances. She looked closely at where her own sword had cut through it. The cut was clean, perfectly flat on both pieces. That wouldn't be hard to fix, but she would still need to find a Break in the world she was in.

Thinking about Faramar, she hoped he was okay. She had a piece of him with her, a piece that he hadn't been without in all the years he'd been alive. She could survive without her own sword, even though it helped her. Faramar, on the other hand... she was sure he was lost without it. She imagined it was kind of like losing an arm.

She shook her head. "No, if I lost my sword, it would feel like losing an arm." She stopped in the stream, looking at Jor'Reda once again. A tear escaped her eye. "It's like he lost his heart. I may as well have run his body through for what I did."

Sighing, she held Jor'Reda to her chest. "Please, just let me find a Break."

"Maybe for it looking you should not let it," a deep, nasally voice said.

Eslana turned around, careful not to drop Jor'Reda. She held the two pieces in one hand, and put her hand to the gem on her own sword with the other. Standing in front of her was a.... well, something. It had three legs, each with some sort of four-toed, clawed talon like foot. The claws were ninety degrees apart, a strange and, Eslana thought, uncomfortable way of walking. Its body was short, less than three feet long, with the strange forward curve it had. It had two arms, or maybe a front leg and an arm. The thing was weird, whatever it was. Eslana determined it had three legs and two arms, because the arms had hands at the end of them, with three short, almost non-existent fingers.

The horrible aspect of the... thing, was the slime oozing off its body, like it was sweating slime. And its head had a long snout of different sized and shaped teeth. How the thing ate, Eslana couldn't begin to imagine. The two eyes were the only thing that seemed normal to her. Having seen a flying monkey thing with gills, a lizard like man, and some guy who disappeared in smoke, even Eslana had to admit this thing was far from normal.

"Who are you?"

"Me speak of to you for question answers," it said. Eslana wasn't sure if it was asking her a question, answering hers, or just making things up. She drew her sword and pointed it at the thing.

"I'll fry you if you don't answer me."

"Kitza hurt girl no want fight burning me."

Maybe it was trying to psych her out. Eslana though perhaps it was talking the way it was just to mess with her head. She wouldn't let it do that.

"Kitza's your name? What are you?"

"Name no have Kitza. Kind last die off Summoner kill."

Eslana was trying to understand it, but she didn't know what it was saying. She couldn't even tell if it was threatening or not.

"Look, I'm busy right now. I have to go repair my friend's sword. So please, leave me alone."

"Alone Kitza follow sword hold girl." Eslana felt a strange sensation on the back of her neck. She turned around, but nothing was there. "Know earth liquid locate distance stream direction wrong Kitza follow."

Eslana was getting a headache from listening to this Kitza thing. "Can you stop speaking in riddles?" Eslana stopped. "What, earth liquid? You mean a volcano?"

"Earth liquid, direction stream wrong Kitza follow."

Eslana shook her head, sheathing her sword. "I think I understand... Show me where."

23. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Evelyn pinched the disturbed earth and brought it to her nose. She smelled pain, chaos, despair, and a great power that had been released. The multiple planes of existence (specifically this one) were being being thrown into chaos and turmoil. A dark new power had been created. She had sensed it moments before the opening of the doorway to another plane. Evelyn stood, carefull not to fall into a pit that had been recently created. Her elvin body was muscular and strong. Her pointed ears were made for hearing things much more clearly than a typical human.
    Evelyn unconciously grabbed the string of her bow that lay across her chest and sprinted up the hill till she was in clear view of the layout before her. A large rift in the earth lay to her left. To her right a vast jungle. The site alone was menacing... as if it dared any explorer to take their chances within it's borders. So much pain, agony, fear, evil, death. And all because someone had violated the very laws of nature and had created a power that should not be in exsitence. It had to be destroyed. There was no other choice. The power and it's maker could not be allowed to continue in existence. If they did more chaos would insue. She had no doubt of this.
    Evelyn sprinted down the hill. Her green hunting blouse and dark green trousers flapped in the wind. She tightend the leather belt that held her dagger and sword as she ran. A gut feeling told her to explore the rift she had seen. Perhaps, she would find a common ally there who would help her in her quest.

24. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Character Template:

Name: Evelyn Sun

Age: she looks 22 but she is actually 42. But elves live to be nearly 250 years old.

Appearance: Elvish, pointy ears, Long brown hair. She wears a forest green hunting outfit. Evelyn also wears a necklace with a clear stone attached. This stone changes colors depending on her life force.

Personality: She is a warrior. Evelyn feels a responsibility to the people who are being affected by this new power. She will kill when needs be but also has the potential for mercy.

History: Comes from a planet of Dragons, drawfs, humans and elves. Her mother and father are also warriors. She is the 7th of 12 children and she is desperatly trying to prove herself.

Powers/Equiptment: Has a very limited mental capability. Basically she is just able to block people from getting into her mind. Her senses are unmatched. She can hear, see, smell and feel better than most anyone.
    She carries a bow and arrows. (Her weapon of choice.) As well as a sword and dagger.

25. Rapaz

Rapaz New Member

Igor

Igor, would you like to tell me what all that was? inquired Thum through the mental link.

After taking a brief moment to organize his thoughts and to decide what parts of the truth he would tell, Igor explained himself.

I'm not proud to say this, but I... Eat souls. he could feel confusion in Thum's mind. Allow me to explain. I feed on souls to gain power. The first time it was an accident but from that moment on the surge of power was very luring. Throughout the years, as I grew older, I would occasionally feed on souls of people I defeated, but it started becoming more of a need and when I came to myself I couldn't last more than a few days without absorbing someone's soul.

It still doesn't explain what happened back there. replied Thum.

These souls I absorb - they stay inside me. Angry, famished and mad. Most of the time I can suppress them and keep them under control but sometimes they manage to take over. When they do, all of their wicked intentions come out into the world through me and my powers. What you saw was just a minor slip on my part; it could've gone a lot worse. explained Igor.

After levitating next to Thum through the use of psychic force, Igor decided he would check on their new friends. Expanding his mind, he quickly realized there was no one in the caves except for two dead human bodies which, after some analysis, clearly didn't belong to any of the voices they had heard coming from the tunnel before.

He started scanning the area around and what he saw was certainly odd. The odd winged man was flying next to an unusual grey creature that carried a girl. In just a few seconds they would leave the crater and be visible to Thum. By scanning their minds briefly he discovered they were headed for the Orb.

Thum, I know where we should go. Let's follow that group. he transmitted while returning to his body.

"What group?" asked his companion, confused.

Shortly after, they could both see two figures flying out of the jungle trees, heading East.

That group.